Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What politcal science books would you recommend?

Options
  • 10-05-2013 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Howye, I hope I am posting in the right forum nothing more jarring than a stupid thread in a forum or sub forum that has nothing to do with it (despite my low number of posts I am seasoned lurker on boards haha but I recently found some of the libertarian ideology makes sense. Like Ron Paul from Stateside and I know he has a bit of a lunatic fringe around him but he was spouting a lot of sense even if the economic side is a little hodgy-podgy. But yea stuff like Locke and Marx clicks a bit and you go yeah that is not to shabby. Anyways I am not an expert by any means so assume I am a novice,.
    I am a bit of a dilettante when it comes to political theory :o but I was wondering do any of ye have any suggestions for good political science books? Or for stuff like Hegel (which hurts my brain because it is so terrible to read) books that are not of an academic bent that can allow you understand it better (if that is vague sorry but I fall asleep reading those tomes!)
    But yeah thats about it cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Jumpboard

Howye, I hope I am posting in the right forum nothing more jarring than a stupid thread in a forum or sub forum that has nothing to do with it (despite my low number of posts I am seasoned lurker on boards haha but I recently found some of the libertarian ideology makes sense. Like Ron Paul from Stateside and I know he has a bit of a lunatic fringe around him but he was spouting a lot of sense even if the economic side is a little hodgy-podgy. But yea stuff like Locke and Marx clicks a bit and you go yeah that is not to shabby. Anyways I am not an expert by any means so assume I am a novice,.
    I am a bit of a dilettante when it comes to political theory :o but I was wondering do any of ye have any suggestions for good political science books? Or for stuff like Hegel (which hurts my brain because it is so terrible to read) books that are not of an academic bent that can allow you understand it better (if that is vague sorry but I fall asleep reading those tomes!)
    But yeah thats about it cheers

Not books but go to www.learnliberty.org/videos

That has all the political science you need.

If you read Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt

& then

The Revolution Ron Paul

You will understand more about what he means in economics.

In terms of Ireland: Banksters by David Murphy is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Contemporary Political Philosophy: An Introduction (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1990/2001) by Will Kymlicka. Studied political philosophy and this is one of the best books I've come across on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭aha_sender

Politics Andrew Heywood very good introduction book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Billiethepup

+1 for Heywood Politics.
    Commonly used first year uni political science text, gives a decent intro to everything from ideologies, politcal systems and some contemporary issues. Well written and an easy enough read!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 TheCruiser

"50 Great Political Thinkers" is published by Routledge (I think) and has excellent contributors synthesising the theories of major thinkers and relevant critiques (approx 4 pages per thinker).

The best cheat book I ever encountered but generally a good one to have around to dip into.

• Advertisement
Advertisement