Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long is it okay to crate?

• 10-05-2013 11:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

I recently moved into a rental property, my boxer has taken some time to settle in, he was stressed and on edge for the first few days and was extremely clingy, not wanting to leave side. As a result he has been spending much more time inside. Before he mostly just came in to sleep and spent his days in the garden.

Now I have a shed that I prop open the door of and the garden is nice and secure but he doesn't really like going out there, I also have a crate in the living room and I was thinking of crating him when I have to go away, he seems to feel safer and secure inside the house. Plus I don't feel as guilty. I am usually only gone for 3-4 hours at the most, would it be okay to crate him for this long or should I just put him in the garden? Also he is nearly 3 so not a puppy if that makes any difference.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

If the crate is large enough, and you give him a good walk/run beforehand so that he's tired then I see no problem with 3-4hours. Dogs stay overnight in crates so this shouldn't be an issue provided he's well exercised. Give him a few chew toys to keep him occupied and as long as he's used to being left in it, he should be fine. I'd often leave one of mine in her crate when I have to go out in the evening as I don't trust her to be free, she'd be into everything!

If he's ok in the garden and has access to shelter, that would be my first choice which is where mine are when I'm out at work. Make the garden a fun place to be, leave him a football, give him a good play there. You could also do a search game with him, hide treats in different parts of the garden, up on a ledge, behind a tree, on a branch etc. Show him the game once, and then set it up when you're leaving, keep him occupied for a while! (although I barely had the door locked & my one has them all found).

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Petra157

I would think that he would be safer in the house, crated or not. As he could be taken if left in the garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I've just gone away and left him in the crate as he had no intentions of going outside in the rain. The crate is large enough for him so that's not an issue. His long lasting treats are not at the new house yet, I will be collecting them today so that he will have something to do but I left him with a couple of toys. I think he will get on fine, should only be gone for 2-3 hours today. I left him in the crate for a half an hour the other night and he did fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I've just gone away and left him in the crate as he had no intentions of going outside in the rain. The crate is large enough for him so that's not an issue. His long lasting treats are not at the new house yet, I will be collecting them today so that he will have something to do but I left him with a couple of toys. I think he will get on fine, should only be gone for 2-3 hours today. I left him in the crate for a half an hour the other night and he did fine.

If our husky is indoors with us, he usually retires to his crate all by himself. If I have to pop out for a few hours and the garden is wet, ill leave him there. If we are on holidays and have to, we leave him in his crate. Now, he is walked or run twice daily so is well exercised. I'd see no problem leaving my lad alone for a few hours in his crate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Hooked wrote: »
    If our husky is indoors with us, he usually retires to his crate all by himself. If I have to pop out for a few hours and the garden is wet, ill leave him there. If we are on holidays and have to, we leave him in his crate. Now, he is walked or run twice daily so is well exercised. I'd see no problem leaving my lad alone for a few hours in his crate.

My fella isn't to the point where he will go in himself yet, but he did walk in there by himself the other night, so we are getting there. He seemed happy out when I got back to the house, much better than when he is outside the back, I had to go out for five minutes and locked the back door and when I got back the door was covered in slobber, he does suffer from some seperation anxiety, and going outside seems to stress him out a lot, I would like to get him into the garden and relaxed at some stage but for now I just don't want to exacerbate it anymore as he is taking quite a bit of time to settle in, he is only starting to get back to his usual self.

• Advertisement
Advertisement