Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RECOMMEND ME SOME BUSHES FOR PRIVACY

• 10-05-2013 11:23am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

hi im no expert on gardening but im looking for some bushes or hedges that will give me privacy at the end of the garden :cool:

cheers for any help id like to add that the cheaper the better :P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,039 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

if you want a fast growing hedge that will grow as tall as you like, something like a griselinia. probably get them for about 3 or 4 quid each if you go to the right garden centre

edit: there you go, they even have pre grown ones for you also, but considerably more expensive.

http://www.hylands-nursery.com/GRISELINIA_Prices.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

stevieob wrote: »
    if you want a fast growing hedge that will grow as tall as you like, something like a griselinia. probably get them for about 3 or 4 quid each if you go to the right garden centre

edit: there you go, they even have pre grown ones for you also, but considerably more expensive.

http://www.hylands-nursery.com/GRISELINIA_Prices.html

Cherry Laurel, grow fast, quite cheap, not prickly or a weed like certain confiers

http://www.best4hedging.co.uk/acatalog/laurel-hedging.html?utm_campaign=Googlebase&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=Googlebase&gclid=CPOSk4y1i7cCFbMQtAod5WoA-A

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

griselinia is not completely frost hardy; lots of them killed in the cold two and a half years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

mean gene wrote: »
    hi im no expert on gardening but im looking for some bushes or hedges that will give me privacy at the end of the garden :cool:

cheers for any help id like to add that the cheaper the better :P

2 good fast growing evergreen candidates would be Viburnum Tinus and Olearia.

Also worth considering for added security would be the evergreen but slower growing Mahonia and Pyracantha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

the cheapest time to buy plants is in winter and bareroot, if you can wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Just regarding the laurel hedging... ye were saying that the best time to buy it is in winter, but would you plant it then or wait until early in the year?

We need to extend a laurel hedge on one side of our garden now that the scrub has been taken out, and i am wondering when is the best time to buy them and plant? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Best time to plant them is the same day/week you buy them.

Hedge is a long term issue, best planted in the winter. Short term gains of summer planting from pots will soon be surpassed.

Privacy is usually a summer issue so non-evergreens are also an option
    think of bark color too and flowers.

willow loads of colors, alder, beech (green purple0
    Hazel, privit (green/golden), dog woods, lylac,
    dog roses,
    fusia, forsythia,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

pwurple wrote: »
    Best time to plant them is the same day/week you buy them.

Ah cheers... was not too sure, so any time of the year is ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,753 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Interested in this thread as I was considering planting something along the bottom of my site. Mostly to finish it off, as I currently have a nice view out my back but at the very bottom of my garden there are fields which are full of reeds, and not great looking. I thought a hedge of maybe 8 to 10ft eventually would shield it off from me.

I had thought of griselinia too, but I have some conifers in my front garden and they provide excellent screening from the main road as they are tall and thick, and was thinking of these for the back too. Anyone any thoughts on these?

Most of my half acre is out the back, and my garden is on two different levels, with the lower level towards the rear a bit wetter and marshier than the top level. Would the damper ground not suit either the grisilenia or the conifer?

And if I wanted the fastest growing hedge, what should I go for? I like the idea of evergreen.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Interested in this thread as I was considering planting something along the bottom of my site. Mostly to finish it off, as I currently have a nice view out my back but at the very bottom of my garden there are fields which are full of reeds, and not great looking. I thought a hedge of maybe 8 to 10ft eventually would shield it off from me.

I had thought of griselinia too, but I have some conifers in my front garden and they provide excellent screening from the main road as they are tall and thick, and was thinking of these for the back too. Anyone any thoughts on these?

Most of my half acre is out the back, and my garden is on two different levels, with the lower level towards the rear a bit wetter and marshier than the top level. Would the damper ground not suit either the grisilenia or the conifer?

And if I wanted the fastest growing hedge, what should I go for? I like the idea of evergreen.

perhaps fast growing is not what you want really as that means lots of maintainance when you hit the 8 foot.

Griselina is no longer a suitable long term option here in ireland.

If a windy site then you would be better going for a deciduous hedge as this would slow the wind down to 50% rather than a conifer hedge that act more like a wall and the wind goes up and over the hedge and due to vortices speeds up to twice the speed at 2 times the height of the hedge into the garden. It can also create a funneling effect.

On damp ground you would find it hard to beat an alder hedge. It can take a good hacking back and can take water around its roots for up to 6 months of the year. Nice early colorful catkins and the birds love the seeds. and 90-120cm plants bareroot in the winter (buy in november - pick of the stock - and heal in till planting before the end of feb) in bundles of 25 are relativly cheap.
    I prune mind to shape in mid winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Access wrote: »
    Ah cheers... was not too sure, so any time of the year is ok?

You'll only get rootball in autumn/winter when the plants are dormant.

You can plant any time of year, but it's not always as successful as winter. You need to keep on top of watering, the plants can get stressed when trying to put on new growth, flower etc, on a root system which hasn't bedded in yet. Sometimes you'll lose a few of them.

I know it's nice to be out making progress in the garden on a sunny day though, so I don't like to put people off totally. It's better in the winter, but it's not the end of the world if you can't manage it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Makes more sense to plant a mixed shrubbery which will be more sympathetic and natural to the broader site aspects, ie fields.

Why would you want to spoil the view by planting a hedge of grisellinia which is more common in urban environments and yes I know it is also popular in rural areas on frontline boundaries. It is boring, vulnerable and high maintenance. I can never understand why it is so popular. Is there no room for a little imagination an doing something which is a little unique, facilitates biodiversity and has a wider value than simply being a screen?

little imagination

nail on the head there son :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,753 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm open to all suggestions.

Basically the bottom of my site has an old wire fence, and then the field behind has a load of reeds. I did a quick measurement today and I could take anything up to 10 - 11ft and still have a nice view of the countryside and hills behind me, as well as screening off the abandoned field behind me.

I was going to put a fence up, but its costly, and I like the idea of having a boundary of hedge, plants, trees etc. I only mentioned conifers as the front of my site has them and they provide good cover from the main road. I would be up for a mix of stuff along the back of my site, and would be open to any suggestions. Bear in mind the soil can be damp even during dry spells.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I'm open to all suggestions.

Basically the bottom of my site has an old wire fence, and then the field behind has a load of reeds. I did a quick measurement today and I could take anything up to 10 - 11ft and still have a nice view of the countryside and hills behind me, as well as screening off the abandoned field behind me.

I was going to put a fence up, but its costly, and I like the idea of having a boundary of hedge, plants, trees etc. I only mentioned conifers as the front of my site has them and they provide good cover from the main road. I would be up for a mix of stuff along the back of my site, and would be open to any suggestions. Bear in mind the soil can be damp even during dry spells.

Hornbeam perhaps?

Lovely sturdy hedge and will grow well there.:)

You need to decide firstly formal or informal and work from there. My thoughts would be more towards informal at the rear of your site, so some sort of native mix would look good and do well.

Advertisement