Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help in Buying a Family Home!

Options
  • 10-05-2013 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I live in Co. Mayo and recently got mortgage approval for €170k.
    The problem is that where I live the house prices seem so much more expensive that other counties and this doesnt seem to cover the cost of anything I like (I don't want a big house or anything like that, only somewhere nice for my family) and I just don't know what to do.
    I have heard that building a house is more expensive that buying (I dont have a site so would have to buy one too) and then thought what about a repossessed house, would this be cheaper?

Any advice very welcome!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

170k will get you a palace in Mayo. Reset your expectations or keep saving until you can afford something more to your liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

170k could get you something pretty decent in Dublin then I sure as hell hope it would get you something decent in Mayo!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Remember me

Im sorry, I should of said, Im in Westport, where my family is based and my son is in school. The prices in that town are just nuts (from what I can see!) Either they are Way out of mu budget, or places that I need to spend lots of money on.
    And my mortgage conditions only allow for the mortgage to be granted on the property prices only- nothing for renovations etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What is a 'family home'?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

How about these OP? Although the price says 200k, I have no doubt you can bargain down, especially if they've been for sale for a while.

@ABajaninCork That link just brings up a whole list of properties, do you know which ones you were referring to?
    Thanks so much

How about these OP? Although the price says 200k, I have no doubt you can bargain down, especially if they've been for sale for a while.

Don't forget a 170k mortgage means the OP has 184k min given they would have to have a deposit of at least 8% too.

OP you being unrealistic. You say your not looking for a large house etc. I have to assume you are either completely out of kilter with what's considered reasonable or your winding us up.

How about you tell us what you are looking for, # of bedrooms, specific requirements etc ? Because I cant see how your serious right now to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

@ABajaninCork That link just brings up a whole list of properties, do you know which ones you were referring to?
    Thanks so much

That link was to show you what's available in Westport for the price range you're looking for...

No my mortgage is approved to €170k meaning they will lend 93% of that. Therefore that is my top budget (all my savings are going on the %needed, surveyor and solicitor etc.
    I am looming for a min 3bed, garden (doesn't need to be huge) and close to the town.

Forgive me as I don't be on here often but what does OP mean?

• Advertisement

No my mortgage is approved to €170k meaning they will lend 93% of that. Therefore that is my top budget (all my savings are going on the %needed, surveyor and solicitor etc.
    I am looming for a min 3bed, garden (doesn't need to be huge) and close to the town.

Forgive me as I don't be on here often but what does OP mean?

OP = opening poster.

Ok so a standard 3 bed in or near Westport for 170k. Lets have a look but one would assume you should have lots of options :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

6 pages on daft fitting your criteria, first 3 aren't too shabby either, 5 bedrooms for 160k... might relocate to Mayo myself! :)

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=713671

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=704647

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=677355

Your so helpful! thanks so much!
    The last one is sale agreed she told me :(
    and the second one is a real bad estate, but I might see about that first one. I have seen it, but was more hoping for a detached! But beggers cant be choosers!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

Have you spoken to any estate agents in town? Have you looked at any property?
    You're in a much stronger position than you think. According to the property price register - only two houses have sold in Mar and April

http://www.myhome.ie/priceregister

Now the register can be slow in slowing properties actually sold but this means that in Jan and Feb (usually the start of the selling season) very little property sold so while prices might seem high- I'd imagine that you are in a strong negotiating position. Traditionally selling slows in the summer so this might be even more beneficial to you.

Just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭penana

Hi -
    Just for the fun of it, a few minutes ago I did a quick Daft search for a minimum 3-bed, detached house in Westport and found 16 within your price range. Hope the following link helps ... and good luck!:)

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?search=1&s[cc_id]=c20&s[a_id][0]=2884&s[a_id_transport]=0&s[mnb]=3&s[mxp]=175000&s[pt_id]=1&s[house_type]=detached&s[photos]=1&s[search_type]=sale&s[advanced]=1&offset=0&limit=10&s[photo_search]=1&s[map_search]=0

Advertisement