Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youtube for work: pros/cons

Options
  • 10-05-2013 11:31am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,426 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been thinking about creating a Youtube account for where I work, but I've a few concerns. I work in mental health and have so far gone with Vimeo to post videos. My concern with Youtube is that viewers might watch our stuff and then get directed to other clips that are ultimately 'unsafe'. For example, if we posted a safe, neutral video about self-harm, would they then by linked to other videos (on the right hand side) that might be the opposite, i.e., triggering with pictures of cuts and scars?

Can anyone here speak to their experience on managing a Youtube account, or is there some way I can restrict the settings so that such a scenario may not occur? I know from using Youtube at home (I just watch, I don't have an account) that it gets to know my search habits, so it'll have 'recommended for you' on some clips because it has learned what I watch.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Probably not a good idea tbh.. youtube is full of twats.

At very least, disable comments and video replies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,426 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

There is that, but we need to maintain an active social media presence and Youtube has more brand recognition than Vimeo, I think.

I'd likely disable comments, yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Youtube will always recommend videos relevant to the category/tag words of the video you're watching.

You could try and avoid using any tag words that may highlight videos that you don't want the viewer seeing. But this will also limit people finding your videos by what they search for.

Unfortunately, if you're posting a video to help those who self harm (for example) and you've used that in your tag words, likely its going to recommend a video that some douche put up on how to self harm.

If you're using the videos on your own site, display them within your own html, so the user doesn't need to go directly to youtube.

It's not an easy one.

Advertisement