Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dissertation Question

Options
  • 10-05-2013 12:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

I wasn't really sure where to post this so I'll just put it here.

I am currently in the middle of writing my dissertation and was wondering if it is against the rules to have a tutor once a week to advise me? I am not asking the tutor to write the paper or anything, merely help guide me and ensure I write a polished paper.

Maybe someone could shed some light...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

I don't think there are any rules in relation to this - apart from maybe if you were paying someone working for the department in which you're doing the course and who might have an influence on your final grade.

As long as the dissertation is all your own work it's fine to consult and chat with whoever you want.

Of course this is what your dissertation supervisor is there for - can you not meet with him/her to discuss your progress as you go along??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

I suppose its additional help. Really just want to write the best paper I can so a second opinion can never hurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

When I was doing my dissertation for my Masters, my supervisor demanded a chapter each month. Hard going, but I reaped the benefits of it, getting a first class honours. He made suggestions here and there as I went along, I see no reason not to do that more frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

No, I'd say that's fine. Sure I have my eye on at least 3 lecturers to ask for help during the summer (none of whom are my supervisor) about the direction I'm taking mine- but I sort of need to do that because my MSc is in Marketing and the dissertation is pure qualitative/interpretivist, but my supervisor is from a finance background...so I sort of need a bit of guidance from marketing lecturers who actually know about qualitative research :confused:

Advertisement