Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timer for Lights

Options
  • 10-05-2013 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

I have an indoor light switch switching outdoor light. Owner wants outdoor lights on a timer but no neutral at switch to power a timer. - he wants light on at night - dosent want a photocell
    There is an indoor socket close to switch - can i install fused spur & bring a L & N to switch position to power a timer and still use L feed to outdoor light to switch lights On/Off.
    Will the above trip the ELCB & is it allowed.
    Any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

will the timer be an isolation device between the circuits i.e. like on a boiler controller? If so, should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

No you shouldn't do this

Most likely the light neutral will not be on the rcd so it will trip

Simplest option is to install new light completely and operate this on the timer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

some of the mechanical timers have a separate switching contact so you could work it without tripping rcd

you'd have 2 ccts in the same enclosure-it's permissible if clearly marked

but i don't like it myself on dom work anyhow

i wouldn't bother with that solution anyhow myself

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Dardania wrote: »
    will the timer be an isolation device between the circuits i.e. like on a boiler controller? If so, should work.

Yes, if the time clock switches a dry contact it would work.

I share Mikehammer's concern; electrically isolating the supply to the time clock alone will not result the unit being isolated. There would still be 230VAC present from the lighting circuit.

Advertisement