Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bono is an evil fool

• 10-05-2013 1:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

"Bono may be the personification of all that’s evil about contemporary celebrity culture and all that’s worse than bankrupt about liberal capitalism (and liberal capitalists) but there’s also a real person in there, and he’s spent most of a lifetime making himself what history must surely judge—as a fool."

http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/05/08/the-banalities-of-bono/

:eek:

:pac::pac::pac:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Yeah.

Bono - BOOOO!
    Dave Mc Savage - BOOO!
    Ray Foley - BOOO!
    Pat Kenny - BOOO!

Can we not hate someone new here? Honestly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

God, I miss Degsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭AnarchistKen

Maybe not an evil fool but definitely a gobsh1te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

LIke the time he was in concert in Dublin, and the music stops and he starts clapping his hands slowly and he speaks solemnly into the microphone "Everytime I clap my hands, a child in Africa dies." Someone shouted from the crowd "Then stop clapping your f%$king hands!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

He's a rich, evil fool.

Kudos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

That's not an attack on Bono per se, it's an attack on "liberal paternalism" yada yada yada. Bono is just an inconsequential vehicle for the journo's ire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

FearDark wrote: »
    Yeah.

Bono - BOOOO!
    Dave Mc Savage - BOOO!
    Ray Foley - BOOO!
    Pat Kenny - BOOO!

FearDark - BOOO!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

It's reads like the angry venting of some pimple-scarred student who has just discovered Che Guevara and RATM.

FearDark wrote: »
    Yeah.

Bono - BOOOO!
    Dave Mc Savage - BOOO!
    Ray Foley - BOOO!
    Pat Kenny - BOOO!

What's wrong with Ray Foley?

syklops wrote: »
    LIke the time he was in concert in Dublin, and the music stops and he starts clapping his hands slowly and he speaks solemnly into the microphone "Everytime I clap my hands, a child in Africa dies." Someone shouted from the crowd "Then stop clapping your f%$king hands!

Joke is older than time itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Bono's grand. I dont get all the hate.

He's a tool and anyone who likes him is one too.

Thats besides the point though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

At least apartheid collapsed so we don't have to hear him saying APARR-TATE in that cunty bluesman voice anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Sergeant wrote: »
    It's reads like the angry venting of some pimple-scarred student who has just discovered Che Guevara and RATM.

Even the typeface and graphic design of that site is like a pimply teenager jabbing a finger at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Apparently he fell of the stage at a gig last week.

Sources say he was standing to close to the edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

Be great if he could use his "influence" on the G8 summit to get some debt relief for Ireland as well as sub-saharan Africa!

Just no concert....please...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

daveyeh wrote: »
    "Bono may be the personification of all that’s evil about contemporary celebrity culture and all that’s worse than bankrupt about liberal capitalism (and liberal capitalists) but there’s also a real person in there, and he’s spent most of a lifetime making himself what history must surely judge—as a fool."

Good Christ, there are hundreds of people I could accuse of being the personificatino of contemporary celebrity culture, but I wouldn't say Bono's one of them.

Agree with the liberal capitlaism of Bono, but not the writer's view of what liberal capitalism actually is.

A fool? If he was a fool, I don;t think U2 would have been as successful as they are. Note, I didn't say "good" because I cn take them of leave them.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I clocked Bono with the door of the Oliver St. John Gogarty pub in Temple Bar in 1996. True fact. That's my claim to fame. Since then numerous investigative journalists, including Paul Williams, have tried to figure out whether or not I did it deliberately. Can I be a Liberal Wotsit as well??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd not get within sniffing distance of calling the chap a fool. He is a very bright individual. Check out his early interviews where he was less guarded. He's no thick by any stretch. However I do think him naive. Very. A basal insecurity and suburban isolation when growing up, propped up by huge success that ends up looking like an ego, then add in intelligence and it's easy to see how he can come to buy into his own worldview and hype. Often the brightest people are the easiest to fool, especially when they fool themselves.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

TL;DR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

daveyeh wrote: »

Wow. It's a long time since I've seen such a poorly designed website, maybe 1998 when frames were all the rage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

U2 were good, but some time in the mid to late 90's, the crossed the line from a band, to a business. They used to change it around a bit.
    Now each album is a carbon copy of the last one. Bland auld shíte. Ditto the chili peppers.
    What was the question again OP? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

He availed of a clear tax break, who wouldn't do the exact same.
    I don't blame him really tbh, but still think its grossly unfair that he was afforded so much tax free earnings.
    Time the government started legislating rather then pointing fingers.

I heard Bono once looked at a kitten and felt nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Happy birthday Bono. 53 today.

All together now "For he's a jolly good....."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'd not get within sniffing distance of calling the chap a fool. He is a very bright individual. Check out his early interviews where he was less guarded. He's no thick by any stretch. However I do think him naive. Very. A basal insecurity and suburban isolation when growing up, propped up by huge success that ends up looking like an ego, then add in intelligence and it's easy to see how he can come to buy into his own worldview and hype. Often the brightest people are the easiest to fool, especially when they fool themselves.

I think Wibbs hits the nail on the head. A Napoleonic complex with the added ingredients of pomobabble and ability to bore.
    I would call him misguided rather than evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Wibbs wrote: »

In fairness, I think Ali is the brains behind the phylanthropy.

Still can't see what there is to hate though, if he spent his millions on coke and hookers people would love him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Bono talks some ****e, but as a musician I think he & U2 are the best out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

In fairness, I think Ali is the brains behind the phylanthropy.

Still can't see what there is to hate though, if he spent his millions on coke and hookers people would love him.
    Thats because the coke and hookers chaps wouldn't be pontificating so much on what a government should do with it's revenue.

So bonio,just stfu and sing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Happy birthday Bono. 53 today.
    menupop.gif
    All together now "For he's a jolly good....."
    ...wanker for hes a jolly good wanker for hes a jolly good wanker and so says me anyhow! hate the prick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

If only begrudgers were in line to inherit something ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Ah good ol Irish people its good to see that we still hate our own especially when they are succesful. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Bill Bailey sums up my views on u2 perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

S28382 wrote: »
    Ah good ol Irish people its good to see that we still hate our own especially when they are succesful. :rolleyes:

I dont think most people here begruge Bono his wealth but they see through the hypocricy of his speech's about poverty in Africa. When this country is going through a crisis here is the so called champion of the poor diverting his wealth to foreign bank accounts to avoid paying taxes in the country he chooses to live in.
    This is one of the main reasons why there is so much poverty in some countries in Africa because those who are making millions out of the natural wealth there divert their money to other shores so as not to contribute to the economy of the country they are making their fortune from. Seems taxes are only for the little people. He made a statement at one of his Feed The World Concerts that thanks to these concerts there was no more hunger in Africa. What a load of crap I taught at the time. He has wrote some great songs but he has made some really appalling speech's that now look like what they really were all about self glory.

• Advertisement

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    I dont think most people here begruge Bono his wealth but they see through the hypocricy of his speech's about poverty in Africa. When this country is going through a crisis here is the so called champion of the poor diverting his wealth to foreign bank accounts to avoid paying taxes in the country he chooses to live in.
    This is one of the main reasons why there is so much poverty in some countries in Africa because those who are making millions out of the natural wealth there divert their money to other shores so as not to contribute to the economy of the country they are making their fortune from. Seems taxes are only for the little people. He made a statement at one of his Feed The World Concerts that thanks to these concerts there was no more hunger in Africa. What a load of crap I taught at the time. He has wrote some great songs but he has made some really appalling speech's that now look like what they really were all about self glory.

If i was rich i wouldnt pay taxes here either sure aint the government only riding us with their taxes and nothing is becoming of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Riddle101

S28382 wrote: »
    If i was rich i wouldnt pay taxes here either sure aint the government only riding us with their taxes and nothing is becoming of it.

Being rich shouldn't exclude you from paying taxes.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Being rich shouldn't exclude you from paying taxes.

I never said it should i just said if was rich i wouldnt pay taxes here either id live here on and off throughout the year just like others do it so as to avoid paying tax....would i be a terrible person for doing that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

I can think of many people that deserve the label 'evil fool' much more than Bono, in fairness. Get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

I`ll grant him a reprieve for giving the world ACHTUNG BABY

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭ThreeBlindMice

Even though I would believe that Bono is an Illuminati Puppet there are still one or two songs that I still love, that particular album that was set in a Paris Airport. All That You Can't Leave Behind, I think and "Beautiful Day".

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Schnitzel Muncher

syklops wrote: »

What i want to know is whether he stopped or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Bono needs a visit from Facekicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

I ask myself the same question everytime I hear his inane chatter on my radio.

Advertisement