Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whelping box near straw?

• 10-05-2013 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Would people be for or against using straw bales, to insulate a timber shed in which a bitch will be whelping.. (not using straw in whelping box)
    or would you keep straw away from her altogether?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Can you not whelp her inside in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 maryjayn

i could..

That would be the best option. I wouldnt be a fan of whelping a bitch out in a shed. You need to keep a very close eye on her during the process and unless you are planning to stay out in the shed with her all the time then its not practical. You can always move her out after a few days once everything is ok.
    You might need a heat lamp if the pups are going outside to the shed as it gets cold at night still and pups cant regulate their temperature at that age.

just wonderin if straw is deemed a bad idea near pups nowadays.. (because of mites maybe??)..

I would be more concerned about the bitch out on her own outside and not supervised than the straw to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

maryjayn wrote: »
    just wonderin if straw is deemed a bad idea near pups nowadays.. (because of mites maybe??)..
    You can buy straw in the pet shop if you're worried about mites.

who said anything about unsupervised? the query was about straw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

to actually answer your question yes I would stay away from straw as it can contain parasites.

Shredded paper or old blankets would serve you better.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

andreac, please stay on topic. The OP asked a specific question, let's not jump to any conclusions outside of that.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I would not use straw as would be worried about parasites. Even prepacked stuff for same cage pets can have mites.

I have puppies due in two weeks. They will be indoors and I use old blankets for the birth, followed by vet bed for afterwards.

If whelping outdoors you could do the same but need a heat lamp. Also a comfortable chair as you will be spending time out there.

I also have a supply of puppy milk, feeding kit in case of emergency. A product called Nutridrops which can help a bitch if her energy runs low or can save the life of any weak puppies.

I let my vet know beforehand the expected whelping date in case of emergency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

i would agree with shredded paper as well

but the golden rule where you decide to allow the bitch to whelp bed them there for at least 10/14 days nothing worse than moving a bitch to an unfamiliar area just when she is about to have her pups it is one of the most upsetting things to do and a heat lamp is a must are you happy to assist in whelping if needed is it her first litter do you know how many pups she is carrying will you know if she is struggling to give birth but most bitches give birth on their own and please can we have pics asap after the event good luck puppies are so cute and so much work as you are about to find out

Advertisement