Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OTB v3 - Revenge of the Banter Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Good luck Kellief!

I took rubbish care of my teeth as a child so I need quite a few fillings. Got a few last year but can't afford the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

When I was 5, I had to get two baby teeth extracted under a general anaesthetic. My adult teeth never grew in the spaces so thank fcuk they're in the back of my mouth.

I remember I told all my relatives I had to be put down to get them done, and never understood why they kept laughing! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

January wrote: »
    Damo - my partner would probably be the same as you if he wfent to the dentist... he had to go before and get a tooth removed from an abcess and was told to come back when the infection had cleared but hasn't... he's terrified of the dentist.

I'm not worried about going to the dentist (though, I used to be!) it's more the fear of expense that kept me from going! (and simply being lax about it!)
    I had a couple of crappy ones in the past, and wanted to make sure I went to a really good one this time, get it right regardless of the price. They were really good, thorough and really nice, explained everything, the costs, the options and gave me a full treatment plan. Easy to see why they won practice of the year last year!

[edit]Their 'welcome pack' even included a few little things like a keyring of a molar, that flips open to work as a floss dispenser :pac:

Jaysus they sound like dentists who are actually worth the money!

I'm not afraid of the dentist but I do get very nervous about it. I have trouble keeping my mouth open by myself so they have to wire it open which does not help with the nerves. What's really helpful is when you notice the dental nurse is paying no attention whatsoever and swaying along to the music on the radio, really inspires confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

I had NINE of my baby teeth extracted in one go under general anasthetic when I was younger. I was so sick, and on so many antibiotics that they had started to rot. I had to eat soft food until my adult teeth grew in.

Still not afraid of the dentist. Give me an injection in the gum over an injection in my arm any day. The latter makes me feel faint!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Both of my sisters have fainted at one point or another when they had to get injections, they are terrified of needles. Not a problem I have :pac:

I'm fine with needles, just don't like watching them go in! :pac:
    Same goes for piercings! (even if it's someone else being pierced :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I'm not worried about going to the dentist (though, I used to be!) it's more the fear of expense that kept me from going! (and simply being lax about it!)
    I had a couple of crappy ones in the past, and wanted to make sure I went to a really good one this time, get it right regardless of the price. They were really good, thorough and really nice, explained everything, the costs, the options and gave me a full treatment plan. Easy to see why they won practice of the year last year!

[edit]Their 'welcome pack' even included a few little things like a keyring of a molar, that flips open to work as a floss dispenser :pac:

Yeh there pricey bastards I spent over two grand last year, done the same hadn't gone the dentist in years then came out with a list.

Just awake after a night shift finished work now till next Wednesday nice :D.

Yeh there pricey bastards I spent over two grand last year, done the same hadn't gone the dentist in years then came out with a list.

I'm looking at around €1700! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Anyone here see that lad beside the Garda station in tallaght beggin?
    He has fluffy white rabbit with him and anyone ahead of me was giving him money for the rabbit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I'm fine with needles, just don't like watching them go in! :pac:
    Same goes for piercings! (even if it's someone else being pierced :o)

Are we, in this forum, allowed to be scared of needles? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I've always been afraid of needles. A jerking reaction when having blood taken as a child has stuck with me.

My family found it strange as I built up tattoo's and piercings over the years.

fewtins wrote: »
    Are we, in this forum, allowed to be scared of needles? :pac:

Yes, and anyone that says otherwise will be banned for life once I've managed to wipe the tears from my eyes enough to see the ban button clearly... :pac:

I'm actually fine with needles, I just don't like watching them going in/through. Like with getting blood taken, I can't watch it go in, but can happily look while they're filling the vials.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Yes, and anyone that says otherwise will be banned for life once I've managed to wipe the tears from my eyes enough to see the ban button clearly... :pac:

I'm actually fine with needles, I just don't like watching them going in/through. Like with getting blood taken, I can't watch it go in, but can happily look while they're filling the vials.

Afraid of needles??
    Sorry I was looking for the tattoos and piercings thread.
    Must've stumbled onto kittens and puppies thread.

Il get my coat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I gave blood on Wednesday and didn't watch the needle going in... once it was in I was grand, watched the blood flow into the bag no bother.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I like blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I think I'm in the minority I love watching the needle go in, find it somewhat fascinating :).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Hate the dentist. Don't mind the needles or the drills but just hate being in the dentist. Don't know why.

Speaking of giving blood, last time I gave blood the guy didn't loosen the pressure thing so when he took away the needle it spurted everywhere. Was crazy, been waiting since I started giving blood for that to happen.

I think I'm in the minority I love watching the needle go in, find it somewhat fascinating :).
    Yeah, I think it's pretty cool too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

+1 for enjoying watching the needle going in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Angron wrote: »
    Yeah, I think it's pretty cool too.
    Esoteric_ wrote: »
    +1 for enjoying watching the needle going in.

Freaks!!!

Im another one that's terrified of needles.I cant even give blood without almost passing out.

This is not how I'd figure a conversation like that would go here :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Freaks!!!

Im another one that's terrified of needles.I cant even give blood without almost passing out.

But you'll sit there and tattoo your own leg? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

I think it's the blood with me. Can't look at the needle, can't look at the blood at all. And I'll still almost (or in one case I actually did) pass out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Orim wrote: »
    But you'll sit there and tattoo your own leg? :p

Yep.

But then again tattoo needles aren't like needles for giving blood.They only penetrate a couple of mm.

Was never afraid of needles, used to like watching the blood until I had to get blood tests every month. Was grand for a good while and then started fainting every time I got one so was afraid of needles and the sight of blood for a while after that. Eventually stopped fainting for whatever reason. Needles and blood don't bother me anymore. The idea of fainting itself still bothers me because the feeling before you go is horrible. Also one time I woke up and for about three seconds I had no idea who I was. Even for that short amount of time it was really scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I'm not allowed donate blood. I received a transfusion in the 80's... CJD and all that jazz.

Makes me sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Not allowed to give blood either, shame as it's something I'd probably do as often as I could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Lyssa

They stopped me giving blood last Sept for a year, because my iron was low :( Must up the steak intake for next time :)

Don't have an issue with needles, blood or anything :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My sister gave for the first time on Wednesday and because her iron was borderline she was allowed to donate then but can't donate again for 6 months. Mine was up, I've been deferred before for 3 months because my iron was too low though. That's the most painful part in my opinion, when they check for the iron levels.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement