Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OTB v3 - Revenge of the Banter Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Thought it was a brilliant match, would say the atmosphere was unreal!!

Pkm that's fantastic news about the fight! Go you!

January ya doing ok?

Did anyone see Downton? It was brill!! Currently lying in bed reading lord of the rings with nfl something on tv, himself loves it! I pay no attention!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

My thoughts on the game:

Mayo blew it, they dominated the first half but realistically needed to be at least 4 points up at the break to have had any chance in the 2nd. Don't ask me what they were thinking with the frees at the end there.

Dublin took their chances in the 2nd half but did the GAA equivalent of holding the ball in the corner with the fouls and frees in the 2nd half. Very cynical stuff altogether.

Some of the shooting was just abysmal, particularly in the first half.

Some Dublin 'fans' give the rest a very bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Apparently mayo are cursed.
    They will eventually win it but I think they gave up going into the second half.
    Also the mayo fans were very quiet. That doesn't help a team when the fans are quiet.
    I do feel for the mayo team. But also believe they are cursed when it comes to all Ireland final.
    They afaik hold record for most losses in all Ireland final.
    That's not a record to want

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

:pac: there's no escaping the Gaaah today.

Not a fan at all. But as a Dub ill take it pat them on the back but that's about it If they had lost I wouldn't have been to bothered either.

I do notice when Dublin win though mainly on Facebook it tends to turn into a Dubs vs the country syndrome going on, which in turn makes Dub's stand up and pump there chests out and so the cycle begins :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

That's a very fair analysis P-1 ;)

Kellief, my brothers home for a week and was very upset I wouldn't turn off The Cube for Downton :)

• Advertisement

Apparently mayo are cursed.
    They will eventually win it but I think they gave up going into the second half.
    Also the mayo fans were very quiet. That doesn't help a team when the fans are quiet.
    I do feel for the mayo team. But also believe they are cursed when it comes to all Ireland final.

To be honest they were bricking it, my dad is from Castlebar and he was a silent bag of nerves all day.

Actually Mayo remind me a lot of Clermont. Capable of absolute brilliance in the run up to the final but once they get there they need to have a decent Heimlich Maneuver applied to them.

I do notice when Dublin win though mainly on Facebook it tends to turn into a Dubs vs the country syndrome going on, which in turn makes Dub's stand up and pump there chests out and so the cycle begins :pac:.

:pac:, sure isn't that how Ireland is split?! Northern Ireland, Dublin and then the rest of the country :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

:pac: there's no escaping the Gaaah today.

Not a fan at all. But as a Dub ill take it pat them on the back but that's about it If they had lost I wouldn't have been to bothered either.

From my experience the Dubs start it :P When they won the Leinster hurling, the torrent of "we're a dual county now!" posts that I saw on facebook were dire. It'd be like if the US started winning the football world cup, and then suddenly it'd be one of the best sports ever, rather than 5th or 6th rate over there.
    Aye, that'd be a crappy enough record to have all right.

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    :pac:, sure isn't that how Ireland is split?! Northern Ireland, Dublin and then the rest of the country :pac:

And Cork, jseus don't forget about Cork otherwise they'll never shut up about it :P

One thing I will admit and its a damn disgrace.
    When Dublin are in Leinster semi's or final or all Ireland finals etc you see people with the flags on their houses and sh1t. Flags are brand new and jerseys only bought.
    These people Have never supported gaa unless Dublin are winning.
    Seen them in the pub earlier. Trophy supporters I call them.
    Not gaa supporters. Just looking for bragging rights

• Advertisement

FoxyVixen wrote: »

Now you have it got it in one ;). Although for Gaah seems to be the one time all Dubs unite every other time its northsiders vs southsiders :pac:.
    Angron wrote: »
    From my experience the Dubs start it :P When they won the Leinster hurling, the torrent of "we're a dual county now!" posts that I saw on facebook were dire. It'd be like if the US started winning the football world cup, and then suddenly it'd be one of the best sports ever, rather than 5th or 6th rate over there.

You would say that :pac:, I reckon its 50/50 in fairness as an outsider looking in. Personally I think Cork are the worst with were there were the real Capital :pac:.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I keep forgetting about the People's Republic of Cork to be honest :pac:

Now you have it got it in one ;). Although for Gaah seems to be the one time all Dubs unite every other time its northsiders vs southsiders :pac:.

Jaysus it's a complicated wee island we live on :pac:

When Dublin are in Leinster semi's or final or all Ireland finals etc you see people with the flags on their houses and sh1t. Flags are brand new and jerseys only bought.

Ah you get them in every sport band wagon jumpers. If I was a die hard fan it would annoy me but then again most these people just jump on to join in on the party atmosphere and soak it all up and hey if it unites the people can't be all bad. Just look at when Ireland make a major championship world cup or euros the country goes beserk how many of them really give a **** but the craic does be ninety ;).

Happens with any team in Ireland tbh, there's nothing we like more than a good bandwagon.

Look at Munster up to say 2011, Leinster after 2009, Ireland in the Euros last summer and the sudden rise in the sales of Chelsea jerseys since the rich Russian bought them.

Ah you get them in every sport band wagon jumpers. If I was a die hard fan it would annoy me but then again most these people just jump on to join in on the party atmosphere and soak it all up and hey if it unites the people can't be all bad. Just look at when Ireland make a major championship world cup or euros the country goes beserk how many of them really give a **** but the craic does be ninety ;).

Suppose its an excuse to drink isn't it.
    And today would've been a great day for beer garden.
    I was in beer garden myself earlier. Nearly fell asleep aswell.

Suppose its an excuse to drink isn't it.
    And today would've been a great day for beer garden.
    I was in beer garden myself earlier. Nearly fell asleep aswell.

Exactly I think most Irish people look on it as an excuse to go on the rip and have a session and I wont lie had I not been in work today I probably would have been down the pub with a lot of my mates, minus a Dublin jersey mind you :).

Exactly I think most Irish people look on it as an excuse to go on the rip and have a session and I wont lie had I not been in work today I probably would have been down the pub with a lot of my mates, minus a Dublin jersey mind you :).

Sure a bleeding funeral is an excuse to drink nowadays.
    Irish excuses to drink= funerals, weddings, christenings, birthdays from a 1 year old to any other age, new job, new haircut or tattoo bla bla bla

Aww I think it's more than an excuse to go on the beer. Things like this unify a county/country keeping the community good spirit going building up to the game and usually a pat on the back if losing.

Gets people out of the monotony of life to some degree and excited to be a part of something for a bit - all the best as winners.

Pints generally only happen on the day/night of the game. The build up lasts longer.

Pretty much Id say. People like to either have a nice excuse for a piss up or to be 'seen there' at the glamour events.

• Advertisement

Irish excuses to drink= funerals, weddings, christenings, birthdays from a 1 year old to any other age, new job, new haircut or tattoo bla bla bla

That's always been the way of the Irish in general it's no new thing ;).

I'm one of the more sober variety mostly these days though well recently :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Personally, I like to reserve my drinking to days that end with y, this allows me to savour the novelty and richness of the experience.

Nothing better than a refreshing pint of porter after getting tattooed tbh ;)

P_1 wrote: »
    Nothing better than a refreshing pint of porter after getting tattooed tbh ;)

Porter? Good god no. Gimme a pint bottle of bulmers anyday.
    Il only drink Guinness if I'm in a very old pub or a pub down the country.
    I love Guinness but a bad pint will throw me off Guinness for a while

Porter? Good god no. Gimme a pint bottle of bulmers anyday.
    Il only drink Guinness if I'm in a very old pub or a pub down the country.
    I love Guinness but a bad pint will throw me off Guinness for a while

never been a fan of Bulmers to be honest, too sweet for my liking. I prefer my alcohol bitter like my heart :pac:

P_1 wrote: »
    never been a fan of Bulmers to be honest, too sweet for my liking. I prefer my alcohol bitter like my heart :pac:

I love it. Though I've grown very fond of the Stella Artois cider or cidre as its called. It's not as gassy as bulmers and tastes nicer but very few pubs have it.
    Also everyone does say bulmers leaves very bad heartburn.
    I've never ever gotten heartburn.

I love it. Though I've grown very fond of the Stella Artois cider or cidre as its called. It's not as gassy as bulmers and tastes nicer but very few pubs have it.
    Also everyone does say bulmers leaves very bad heartburn.
    I've never ever gotten heartburn.

Yeah I've tried it once, more similar to the 'classic' ciders than Bulmers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Drank a lot of cider in my teens, the really cheap kind that rips your stomach apart and all. Used to drink bulmers for a bit when I got older but went off it after a while. Goes straight to my head and, although better than the tesco stuff (€1.50 for three litres!), still wasn't the kindest to my stomach. I might occasionally have berry one but I prefer Kopperburg.

Not really a fan of cider myself, haven't been since I was around the time I was 18. It's generally ok, just wouldn't be something I'd drink to much.

• Advertisement

€1.50 for 3 liters? That sounds pretty damn rough on the head and stomach the day after tbh :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement