Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OTB v3 - Revenge of the Banter Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

In fairness, I can drink whiskey at home no problem. The problem arises when there are other humans present :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

The biggest thing I've ever forgotten is finding out one friend got with another friends ex (not half as dramatic as it sounds). Only reason I found out about it again is because when they were discussing another day I said 'I never knew that happened!' to which my friends replied 'Harriet you were the one who figured it out and told me to tell her.' After that a very fuzzy ememory resurfaced. If I've ever forgotten anything else it's been so minor I don't miss it. Alwaya remember coming home etc. That said I think it's mmore to do with my ejecting the content of my sotmach if I ever overdrink rather than never drinking too much. I never drink more than about four pints now but as I said before I drank a lot more as a teenager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Worst thing I ever did drunk was get plastered on 12 pints of Miller and belt out Bohemian Rhapsody onstage at the George before falling into a taxi back to my aunt's house where I promptly puked into the kitchen sink at 3am. She wasn't impressed. XD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I don't have many really extreme stories but I do remember ending up at one of the Harry Potter book launches with a hidden bottle of Jack and some cups from a petrol station.

Orim wrote: »
    I don't have many really extreme stories but I do remember ending up at one of the Harry Potter book launches with a hidden bottle of Jack and some cups from a petrol station.
    Wingardium whiskey-osaaaa! XD
    Sounds like it would be a good night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Alcohol related stories them I have a lot off, some I remember some I don't was told about them, Eso has heard a lot of them ;). Good times :).

Just got a message off Hydraulix I messaged them because I left my phone charger there by mistake :( and asked about the pic while I was at it. They said the pics they got were crap aswell :(, so want me to come back in when it's healed so they can take better pics and will look after my charger till then :).

Oh and my whole ankle calf swelled up today granny ankles isnt the word, all the lads in work were ripping the piss out me all day, note to seld do not get a tattoo on your leg then immediately follow it by spending 24 of the next 48 hours on your feet bad idea :cool:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Alcohol related stories them I have a lot off, some I remember some I don't was told about them, Eso has heard a lot of them ;). Good times :).

Just got a message off Hydraulix I messaged them because I left my phone charger there by mistake :( and asked about the pic while I was at it. They said the pics they got were crap aswell :(, so want me to come back in when it's healed so they can take better pics and will look after my charger till then :).

Oh and my whole ankle calf swelled up today granny ankles isnt the word, all the lads in work were ripping the piss out me all day, note to seld do not get a tattoo on your leg then immediately follow it by spending 24 of the next 48 hours on your feet bad idea :cool:.

Heard a lot? I've reminded you of a lot! Do the words 'crack den' ring a bell? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

Got my bike home, it's running (as in the engine starts and the exhaust is fixed) but still a lot of work to do. So today, I dismantled the back end, removed the rear wheel, sprocket, brake etc.

Tomorrow, the rear caliper has to come off as the piston is seized, the petrol tank has to come off as it has to get resprayed and the hugger has to come off as it has to get sprayed too.

It looks terrible, it's gonna look worse, but I have to think "big picture" here... I miss my baby. :o

273006.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Lyssa

All I will say is... Binxeo is one helluva understanding woman! :pac::pac::pac:

In all seriousness though, hope your baby is back to full, shiny health soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Spent guts of the day cleaning out the shed.
    Was waaayyy to hot and sweaty. Cleaning up after the dog then as cleaning out the ferret and the hawks enclosure. Fcuking cob webs aswell.
    But shed looks alot better now with everything hung up properly and neat.
    Think il paint it all tomoro.

• Advertisement

Mylina wrote: »
    All I will say is... Binxeo is one helluva understanding woman! :pac::pac::pac:

In all seriousness though, hope your baby is back to full, shiny health soon :)

Yeah she is!! :D In fairness, it was her idea. Besides, she has to let me work on mine in the kitchen....because she does with hers!! :pac: :pac:

Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Currently working on my application to the pde...terrified!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Has anyone here ever known someone to get a permanent job through the Fas internship schemes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

nope companies love paying 50e a week for someone to do a full time job way too much

Arawn wrote: »
    nope companies love paying 50e a week for someone to do a full time job way too much

Yeah, I get job notifications to my phone every day and it's ridiculous how many of them are intern jobs with €50 extra on your social. Sure that wouldn't cover my fuel costs, it would actually cost me money to do one of these, how can they justify it?? :mad:

P.K.M. wrote: »
    Yeah, I get job notifications to my phone every day and it's ridiculous how many of them are intern jobs with €50 extra on your social. Sure that wouldn't cover my fuel costs, it would actually cost me money to do one of these, how can they justify it?? :mad:

they claim its experience, but it's not, apart from tesco and the lot offering shelf packing apprenticeships, a lot of places want fully qualified staff with degrees to do the work and the government do **** all bout it as it looks good for the register

they claim its experience, but it's not, apart from tesco and the lot offering shelf packing apprenticeships, a lot of places want fully qualified staff with degrees to do the work and the government do **** all bout it as it looks good for the register

I had murder with a guy a few weeks ago when I applied (and was subsequently refused) for a job. I made a follow-up call and asked where I fell down (as I always do) and he said I didn't get the job because I didn't have a degree. I said I have 23 years experience but it didn't make any difference. He said they'd rather take on a 20 year old piss-head with a degree than a 43 year old with a sh!t load of experience.

He said I should go and do the degree and with that AND my experience I'd walk into a job...BUT....at that stage I'd be 46 and too old for some employers to take on. Fucked if I do, fucked if I don't. :mad:

I know the feeling, the thing I'm loving lately is that waiters etc must have 4+ years of experience, to be a ****ing waiter!!

I know the feeling, the thing I'm loving lately is that waiters etc must have 4+ years of experience, to be a ****ing waiter!!

Seen the local Supermacs looking for staff and I had to scoff at the experience they require the potential employee to have. :rolleyes:

I had murder with a guy a few weeks ago when I applied (and was subsequently refused) for a job. I made a follow-up call and asked where I fell down (as I always do) and he said I didn't get the job because I didn't have a degree. I said I have 23 years experience but it didn't make any difference. He said they'd rather take on a 20 year old piss-head with a degree than a 43 year old with a sh!t load of experience.

He said I should go and do the degree and with that AND my experience I'd walk into a job...BUT....at that stage I'd be 46 and too old for some employers to take on. Fucked if I do, fucked if I don't. :mad:

That's harsh man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

It's a bit stupid really. I know I'd rather hire someone with years of hands on experience than someone who's just walked out of college with a degree. You need experience to get a job but they won't take you on without experience. Catch 22 really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I just searched my own screen name as I do occasionally as you'd be surprised who ends up talking about you on this site, saw that abidoo and damo were on about him getting his elbow done, I found the sitting during an elbow piece to be very uncomfortable because of the angles you have to keep your arm at.

It's not a too bad a pain to get inked in though.

In other news going under the gun friday

Yeah, this has always been my view on them too.

I'm just in an awkward position at the moment. I'd applied for this job ages ago and have gt past the second stage interview which was an intense microbiology presentation. Called back now to meet the team though not offered position this week.

It was on the phone that they mentioned it was a Fas paid internship and my heart sank. When I'd applied there was a salary noted thought this changed a week after my application went in.

Thing is, it's a perfect job with a great company and if it turned into a permanent position that'd be class and great on the CV. I'd make great contacts through it, but e50 a week :(

Was hoping someone knew someone who got a proper job out of one of these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

not one person who got a jobsbridge position was kept on after their internship

http://www.paulmurphymep.eu/2013/09/government-exploitation-of-jobsbridge-exposed-as-not-one-intern-is-kept-on/

This is a sad day :(

I'll go in on Thursday anyhow since I've got this far but really going to question they way they've approached this. If they want me they can damn well pay for my skill set. Have been offered another job (though not one I'd prefer) and can't really compare the differance in wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

i'm the complete opposite.i have a degree but can't get a job because i "don't have relevant experience" so its the whole thing of how does one get experience if if nobody is willing to give any

How do I tackle a collegue of mine -who is otherwise a nice bloke- about the fact that he eats and talks with his mouth full?
    It is absolutely ****ing disgusting and it's putting me right off my lunch most days. :(

McChubbin wrote: »
    How do I tackle a collegue of mine -who is otherwise a nice bloke- about the fact that he eats and talks with his mouth full?
    It is absolutely ****ing disgusting and it's putting me right off my lunch most days. :(

Just tell him to stop, or sit somewhere else ;)

Just tell him to stop, or sit somewhere else ;)

I've tried but in a subtle way. Time to be more direct, methinks. :/ I'm embarrassed for him as he's a very nice chap otherwise but this is doing my head in. He's also very chatty and tries to engage me in conversation when I'm trying to read the paper. I try to be polite and diplomatic but it's like talking to a wall. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

i'm the complete opposite.i have a degree but can't get a job because i "don't have relevant experience" so its the whole thing of how does one get experience if if nobody is willing to give any

Sure I came acros a job and went to it done one day and they told me that they need someone more experienced but I said eh your add said no experienced was needed. That you'd provide the training.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement