Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OTB v3 - Revenge of the Banter Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Leprechaun Museum is a great laugh.

No Waterstone's anywhere any more. And no Borders out in Blanch either. This makes me sad.

Technically there's Hodges Fidges on Dawson Street which I think is owned by Waterstones. Shame to see so many book stores go when they went whallop though. Amazon and the Red Beard Bay are alright but you just can't beat a good bookshop

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I always find Chapters on Parnell St. to be brilliant. Great shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

P_1 wrote: »
    Technically there's Hodges Fidges on Dawson Street which I think is owned by Waterstones. Shame to see so many book stores go when they went whallop though. Amazon and the Red Beard Bay are alright but you just can't beat a good bookshop

Yeah, but it was better when I could spend two hours in Waterstones and then walk across the street and spend two hours in Hodges Figgis, with a little diversion into Murder Inc on the way :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Dodderangler that sounds pretty scary, hope you're alright!

I hate to see book shops closing and try not to use Amazon too much (well for physical books anyway, I do own a kindle). I'm not too keen on Easons but I love Dubray's. Charlie Byrne's is a book lovers paradise as long as you're not looking for anything specific.

Back in college although no lectures yet. Forgot my glasses and my leg is still store so where I sit will be determined by whether I want to see or struggle up and down steps. Hmm...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Most of my books I kinda have to order online. Most shops don't stock the 40k books, so it's either order them online, or head to Dublin or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Amazon is fantastic for finding rare "concept art" books such as The Art of Tangled and the like. I have millions of them saved to my wishlists. :D In other news, I was talking to my course advisor about my options after I finish up my current course. He recommended I go into a career preparation course called Fresh Start which will help me get job ready. It's only 9 months long so there's no huge commitment to be made. After that, I'm hoping to get into the Catering Course. Bit apprehensive about it, though. I worked in a cafe kitchen in a well known Henry Street department store for 3 months when I was 18/19 and I left virtually every day with tears in my eyes from the chronic stress of it. :(
    I'd love to be a pastry chef and make cakes for a living but I'm worried I won't be able to handle the pressure of working in a busy kitchen. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Job wants me to do Hell and Back for a charity theyre involved with.

Now the trouble here is Im the most unfit person in the world.

I smoke like a chimney,drink like a fish,dont exercise much and eat crap.

I reckon it would probably kill me!!!

Do it you won't regret it, brilliant crack altogether and will give yea a reason to get up and get yourself fit win win situation.
    osaurus wrote: »
    Did Hell & Back in 2013. It's so hard. You'd wanna be doing mountain running and then some. I did the 10k version. Could run 10k no bother but fook me I couldn't run it all. You'd wanna be able to run 20k easily to do hell & back comfortably.

Ah now I wouldn't say that, you need to be aiming to be able to run 10k in about 50 minutes and along with doing running do some circuit training and weights. I've done it twice second one I done was longer and found it easier partly because I was fitter and secondly because it was the summer one which isn't as hard the cold doesn't get into your bones.

But you will make it through it some people it takes three hours to do some people an hour so I'd say you can do it just the fitter you are going into it the easier you will find it.

Hope your ok Doppledangler.

Have some pulled pork on in the slow cooker and am going to make some homemade pesto coleslaw and spicy potato salad a bit of a cheat meal for me but I can't wait.

Edit:Oh and congrats to your daughter hellrazer fair play to her a right chip off the old block.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Have some pulled pork on in the slow cooker and am going to make some homemade pesto coleslaw and spicy potato salad a bit of a cheat meal for me but I can't wait.

What kind of pork did you use? I find pulled pork to be a little fatty when I have it out, I'd like to have something leaner. I've put ham fillets and chickens in the slow cooker and they're fantastic, but I've yet to venture to pork!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

My little sister has been contemplating her first tattoo for a while. She wanted it on her wrist, and was going to go to a really terrible local studio because her friend (who has awful tattoos) recommended it.

I've convinced her to get it elsewhere, somewhere more easily covered (nape) and she's going to go to either zulu or skin city because I'm lending her the money to go to a better place. Yay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

My little sister has been contemplating her first tattoo for a while. She wanted it on her wrist, and was going to go to a really terrible local studio because her friend (who has awful tattoos) recommended it.

I've convinced her to get it elsewhere, somewhere more easily covered (nape) and she's going to go to either zulu or skin city because I'm lending her the money to go to a better place. Yay :)

I wouldn't suggest a neck tattoo for a first even if hair covers it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Arawn wrote: »

Nape could work so long as it can be covered by either hair or a color. Not ideal for a first go mind but there are worse spots

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

Had a bit of back and forth today on Twitter with a poor girl in the States with very low self-esteem. She has pictures on her profile of what I can only describe as anorexic women who look like stick insects, and she has them tagged as "perfect", "perfection" and "I want this".... I just think it's so, so sad that girls have this weird ideal in their heads that if they're skinny, they're beautiful. I'm guessing from some of her tweets and pictures that she cuts herself too. :( The funny thing is...she's not exactly ugly...or big for that matter, so I don't know how she has it in her head she needs to be like this.

I told her that skinny is not sexy, and that being thin doesn't equal happiness. Hopefully I cheered her up a bit, and even if the few words I said to her today stops her self-harming for just today....well that's something. I helped a bit I hope. She did send me a message thanking me and telling me my words were "inspiring" and I'm a "beautiful person". Poor girl. It really is terrible what society has these young ones believing. :mad:

Arawn wrote: »

I didn't, i suggested lower calf or somewhere more easily hidden, nape was the compromise. She rejected shoulder, back, arm, calf, ankle and more. Her hair is really thick and goes nearly to her arse, so should be easily enough hidden.

So frustrated right now. My doctor has no idea how hard it is being overweight for the majority of your adult life.
    I keep getting the "exercise more and stop scoffing sweets" shpiel off her. Easy for her to stay- not a pick on her! :mad:
    It's not like I've never tried! Urgh! I need to punch something. :mad:

EDIT: Didn't see PKM's post there. I agree that being a certain weight shouldn't be the be all and end all of one's life but I would like to be a more managable weight if only so I can be healthier and not have to shop in the likes of Evans my entire life. I want to be able to buy things in Penneys and feel more self confident instead of standing in the shower and crying with frustration because I can't see me feet. :(
    That girl, though- I've been at the stage where I look at an unachievable standard of beauty- so-called "thinspiration"-It's not healthy and I know this but I managed to snap out of it and I try my best at working towards being healthy.
    You did a good thing there, PKM. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

McChubbin wrote: »
    So frustrated right now. My doctor has no idea how hard it is being overweight for the majority of your adult life.
    I keep getting the "exercise more and stop scoffing sweets" shpiel off her. Easy for her to stay- not a pick on her! :mad:
    It's not like I've never tried! Urgh! I need to punch something. :mad:

I'm going to say this as a severely obese woman (BMI of 36.6)... it really is just a case of exercising more and eating healthily (not necessarily stop scoffing sweets, everything in moderation). Before I got pregnant I lost a stone in 1 month by exercising daily and eating a lot less crap than I was used to. I low carbed (not cutting it completely but restricting them severely).

I've been over weight since I was in my early teens and only decided to get off my arse and do something about it, properly, this year. It takes a while for you to get into the right mind set for it but I really cannot wait to get back to the gym after this baby is born, it gave me some super head space and I was able to blow off as much steam as I needed to. It didn't even feel like a chore because the workouts I was doing were fun.

Actually, you wanna know what made me open my eyes to my weight (I knew I was over weight before and was bothered by it but I'll never let this image leave my mind... ). I was at a wedding in August last year and stayed in the hotel, I was getting ready to go to bed, very drunk and went to the loo. I left the door of the loo open and there was a mirror directly opposite the door... I looked in the mirror and I saw this (NSFW guys, also not me...) staring back at me, I sobbed myself to sleep.

I have to agree with january. Mcchubbin, i once weighed a couple of stone more than you do. I also have pcos, which slows your metabolism. I'm now bang on 11 stone, with one stone to go. Yes, I'm still overweight, but ive lost more than i now weigh.

Simply put, you will not lose weight if you eat crap food and don't exercise. As much as I really do sympathise, your doctor is right. It's cutting down on calorie consumption and burning more calories through exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I was 16 and a half stone at 17, at 18 I was competing at 12.5. Another friend of mine was a 64kg irish champion when his missus got pregnant, cue him ballooning to 135kg, he is now back down to 64.8 in under a year. Losing weight is as simple as your doctor said, cut out the ****e, eat clean and exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Just to add to what Green and January said once you start working out regularly you won't want to stop, it makes you feel amazing. I'm only starting out, worked out on and off before but started working out regularly and sorting out my diet the past few weeks and noticing so many differences already. I have much more energy, I'm sleeping better and I've noticed more muscle definition on my arms and calves as well. I'm not allowing myself to weigh or measure myself more than once a month because it's about my health overall not weight loss (I'm only slightly overweight) but I can tell by looking at myself I've definitely lost weight already. It's hard getting started but so worth it. It really is addictive. I've missed two workouts so far since hurting my leg and it's killing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Just to add to what Green and January said once you start working out regularly you won't want to stop, it makes you feel amazing. I'm only starting out, worked out on and off before but started working out regularly and sorting out my diet the past few weeks and noticing so many differences already. I have much more energy, I'm sleeping better and I've noticed more muscle definition on my arms and calves as well. I'm not allowing myself to weigh or measure myself more than once a month because it's about my health overall not weight loss (I'm only slightly overweight) but I can tell by looking at myself I've definitely lost weight already. It's hard getting started but so worth it. It really is addictive. I've missed two workouts so far since hurting my leg and it's killing me.
    weight loss is deceptice, as you will replace fat with toned muscle, unless competing in a weight driven sport/exercise the eye test (as you are doing) is much better

Thanks for all the kind words, folks.
    I'm tackling this thing one bit at a time. For instance, I've cut out alcohol and I feel so much more energized. Whenever I feel an urge to take a drink I usually have a cup of hot water or, if it's REALLY intense, a nice cup of green tea.
    I suppose I could do more in the way of exercise but I generally try to push myself to use the stairs of the Phibsburo Tower everyday instead of taking the lift. It's BRUTAL- I'm always dying by the 3rd floor but you're right- I feel pretty damn good once my breathing and heart rate slow back to normal. :)
    I'd love to try aqua aerobics as a lot of people have mentioned that they're good for gently getting back into the swing of things when it comes to getting fit. I can't swim to save my life but I know that if I were to walk or jog against the current in the pool I could burn a few calories. It's just getting into a routine that's the problem and yes, I'll admit to being a lazy bum sometimes- who isn't?
    But I'm making an effort. My Mom's going mad in a bid to buy a steamer as she's on a bit of a health kick herself so at the very least I'll be introducing more steamed vegetables into my diet and I'm planning to slowly introduce more oily fish.
    Slow but steady.
    Thanks guys and I apologize if I came across as a bit moany.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Aqua Fit is great. I had no idea how to swim when I did it, and it was no bother.

Maybe think about swimming lessons too, it's a great exercise to learn!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Bit nervous bout my MRI scan tomorrow
    Praying that the worst news I get is the bill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Lyssa

Best of luck dodderangler, hope it goes well x

Good luck today, dodderangler x

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Just relax and don't worry. Time enough for that if/when you're told there's something to worry about.

I found MRI scans to be a strange experience. Mostly zoned out for it, listening to the strange noises that the machine makes!

I met an incredibly hot Brazilian lady on Saturday and will be going for food with her this week at some point. I feel giddy as a little girl :pac:

Nice one! ;)

I didn't realise the bf was in work today til i saw him at the bus stop. So I'm happy, I got hugs and i have something nice to stare at in work all day :)

Always good to have something pretty to look at :pac:

Speaking of which, did anyone see the sunrise over the Liffey this morning? Absolutely gorgeous. I took some pics but can't post in work, but I'll try to remember to do it after band practice tonight....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Bah to you kissy lot, bah I say!

• Advertisement

Angron wrote: »
    Bah to you kissy lot, bah I say!

Shouldn't you be doing your homework? :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement