Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OTB v3 - Revenge of the Banter Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

January wrote: »
    I'm watching Doctor Who...

Himself goes all out for Valentines... I can't say I'm as bothered but I'll get him a card. He'll make (or order in a nice Indian) dinner and I'll get flowers and chocolates and stuff.

What episode are you watching?
    I'm doing more pretending to do lesson plans than doing lesson plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

The reason I hate Valentines isn't because I'm a miserable git ha, if I want to be romantic ill do it. just hate having a day pushed by the likes of Hallmark to do it. For me the fact you feel you have to takes most of the thought behind the gesture away, why not do it randomly when you feel like it is far more romantic and a bigger gesture :) .

Luckily she agrees with me, it just happens to be were flying to Poland the day after this year aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

kellief wrote: »
    What episode are you watching?
    I'm doing more pretending to do lesson plans than doing lesson plans.

Watching The Time of the Doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

The reason I hate Valentines isn't because I'm a miserable git ha, if I want to be romantic ill do it. just hate having a day pushed by the likes of Hallmark to do it. For me the fact you feel you have to takes most of the thought behind the gesture away, why not do it randomly when you feel like it is far more romantic and a bigger gesture :) .

I totally agree with that. But at the same time I'm soppy and think it's nice to do something small to mark the day rather than avoiding it like the plague either!

I like to think of it as a "let's celebrate love" day rather than "YOU MUST BE ROMANTIC AND BUY EXPENSIVE GIFTS" day :pac:
    Y'know roses are lovely and all, but 50 quid for a dozen flowers?! Fcuk that! Dunno how they get away with hiking the price up so much at that time of year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

My birthday today and my wife handed me money for another session for my sleeve best present ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

wouldn be a fan of annual hallmark day myself!

But she loves it so i get over it for a day, we dont do nothing special, I get her a card, flowers (usually sometime for about a tenor ha) only a token and we usually get a take away and have a night in on the couch with a good film :rolleyes:

Friend of mine's wife makes custom cards and invitations n the likes, this is the card i got herself a few yrs ago, the puppy is our dog Elvis :D
    291087.jpg
    I didnt see the shitty newspaper in the background until the card was made :o

I wasnt always the romantic I am now though.... :p! I remember bringing my school girlfriend to see terminator 3 on valentines :pac::pac: Peppy le Pew eat your heart out lol :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Yeah the idea of Valentine's annoys me but like Ankhyu said when I'm with someone I'd rather do something to make it than ignore it altogether. I see as an excuse to have a bit of fun rather than be romantic 'cause as others have said it's not romantic if you're made do it. It's also one of my good friends' birthday so for the longest time I just called it Dearbhla day. But then she went a got boyfriend. :rolleyes: Selfish ruining my fun...

In other news I've decided to shave my head for this years Shave or Dye. I'm kind of terrified but it's for a good cause. If any of ye could spare a few euro (or cents!) it would be much appreciated. Ye can donate here.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I had a discussion with himself about Valentines last night. We're just gonna have a nice night in, no cards or anything. I much prefer when he randomly surprises me with gifts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

I don't usually do much for Valentines myself, just so happens that I'm going to a gig that night this year, and the lady I've just started to hang out with just so happens to be going too.... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Himself is happy I'm not covering in another shop on valentine's day. I hope he just gets me a card (fcuking love getting cards!) and leaves it at that.

Planning his birthday present atm too. It's his 30th in july, so I'm thinking of getting in touch with his best mate (after the friebd introductions thing happens) and seeing if he can book time off work, and paying for them to go away somewhere in europe for a week. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

I like cards too, if there's a nice personal message in them. Random cards for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Yeah the idea of Valentine's annoys me but like Ankhyu said when I'm with someone I'd rather do something to make it than ignore it altogether. I see as an excuse to have a bit of fun rather than be romantic 'cause as others have said it's not romantic if you're made do it. It's also one of my good friends' birthday so for the longest time I just called it Dearbhla day. But then she went a got boyfriend. :rolleyes: Selfish ruining my fun...

In other news I've decided to shave my head for this years Shave or Dye. I'm kind of terrified but it's for a good cause. If any of ye could spare a few euro (or cents!) it would be much appreciated. Ye can donate here.

Fair play, money's a bit tied up elsewhere at the moment but I should be able to throw a few bob in your direction in about a month's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

Howyis. No major news. Training day today (7pm) really looking forward to that. Other than that...boring day. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I can hear clearly now the wax has gone! :D
    Got my ears syringed at last and everything is suddenly so much louder and not as muffled as it was. My right ear still hurts due to an infection but at least I can finally hear again!
    The doctor was gentle enough this time so there wasn't much of a snafu this time. She also weighed me- I've inexplicably lost 7lbs (3 kg) in a week. Don't ask me how it happened but then again, I've cut down on the booze a lot and been snacking on plain popcorn and grapes so maybe that's it. I'm not really making any *consicious* efforts to lose weight being the lazy bugger I am but whatever I'm doing seems to be working. :)
    Took the dog out for a walk and wore my Docs- big mistake. My Achille's Heels are red raw. Ouch. Tried bringing my other more comfortable boots to the repairman but they were too far gone to save. I would've had to pay over €50 just to get the heels rebuilt and the toes sorted so I thought "Feck it!", dumped them in the bin and am currently making plans to buy a new pair at the weekend.
    In the meantime, I'm going to give Wildcat Ink a bell and book that consultation.
    Wish me luck! :D

EDIT: Just got off the phone to Wildcat Ink. Atilla's stepped out but I passed on my number and he's going to text me when he gets back. Is it weird that I feel like a giddy school girl? :pac:

EDIT2: Atilla just texted me. I'm booked in for a consultation for Friday at 2:30pm. Good times! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I know there's a lot of fans of beard in here, saw this posted on White Dragon's Facebook and it is something I've noticed recently with more and more people some of my own friends included growing beards are they now becoming so common there uncool? :p Yeas are all a bunch of fecking hipsters :p:pac:.

1544433_1449299585286143_2139134818_n.jpg

I know there's a lot of fans of beard in here, saw this posted on White Dragon's Facebook and it is something I've noticed recently with more and more people some of my own friends included growing beards are they now becoming so common there uncool? :p Yeas are all a bunch of fecking hipsters :p:pac:.

1544433_1449299585286143_2139134818_n.jpg

Ha! Razor blades being too expensive and the general awkwardness of having to shave is my excuse :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Rockin' a chin beard since around 2001...
    P_1 wrote: »
    Ha! Razor blades being too expensive and the general awkwardness of having to shave is my excuse :pac:
    Razor blades are only too expensive if you're buying those crappy cartridge razor things.
    I don't shave properly that often, but when I do I use this:
    2d963233795dac52215f9d294dd4bb0d.jpg

Blades for those are dirt cheap. Same for what I used before, a "Safety razor".
    Which is this as opposed to this

Good point Damo, I've been meaning to get my hands on one of those but keep putting it off. For now an electric beard trimmer does the job but getting a proper safety razor probably needs to be done at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yeah, I shave infrequently, and use a beard trimmer (with no combs) the rest of the time.

Beards are great. My brother grew one in recent years and it makes him look distinguished... if slightly ginger.
    I haven't seen his face properly in about 5 or 6 years. He too shuns razors for the most part in favour of trimming it lightly with a special pair of scissors. To be perfectly honest, I'm a bit jealous- if I were a man myself, I'd probably be rockin' a Dumbledore. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Himself has a beard. I'm still getting used to it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I have been bearded as **** pretty much since 16-17, now i see everyone having them I'm going off em

Relevant! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭paul_booth_fan

I've had a beard for 6 years and I'm not a fan of this bearded hipster revolution. I look ridiculous without it, so I can't shave it off and I reckon the missus would leave me as well if I did............ gotta take the good with the bad I suppose

1335371300929_797613_zpsdll1rdrr.png

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

Ive got a pretty big beard now. Ive been growing beards on and off since i was 18 and im 25 now. Problem is i would also probably be considered to be a little bit of a hipster by some but thats not my reason for growing a beard. ive also liked them, just like my father before me and my brother after me. Were a beard family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

I do not have a beard but can appreciate a good one!

Went for a swim this morning, finally after waiting nearly four weeks after my tattoo. Good to be back. I feel like I've lost some more weight going by my clothes but I'm not sure. I'll find out Thursday though!
    Spent the day organising and tidying reception, it looks miles better now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I showed my beard in the pic thread. Fecking hipster ****s ruin everything. A woman actually wrote a big thing on it telling them to **** off and ruin other things instead of manly things

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I just keep forgetting/am too lazy to shave so end up with a beard for a while, then shave it off again. Rinse and repeat!

I'd never go totally naked though, always leave some 5 o'clock shadow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Rod Serling

In for a full day at Snakebite tomorrow. Finally covering up the worlds worst half sleeve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

Howdy folks. Another really tough training session last night, very sore and stiff today. Can hardly move. Spent last night staring at the ceiling...couldn't sleep at all, which is weird cos I'm knackered. :(

Oh, and yesterday, I agreed to do this...:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement