Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OTB v3 - Revenge of the Banter Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The tantrums are daily but we've gotten used to them, to be fair it was a struggle for the diagnosis. I've known from when she was young that there was something up with her... Everyone told me it was all in my head, that she was just a difficult child, who cried all the time for no reason. I pushed from the assessment of need... PHN didn't want to refer her. But I knew... it was only when I read about SPD did it all click. To be fair, she has come on in leaps and bounds since she started her ECCE year in the local school. She's thriving there and it's all because of her amazing teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

gregers85 wrote: »
    just looked up a cane toad, they are bloody enormous!
    Check out huge bullfrogs. They've got hands like a child. So cool though.
    Need a new crazy pet. Snakes are out of the way as herself isn't mad on them.
    Maybe a chameleon or caiman

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

If your balance is dodgy, it's the middle ear that's affected, and you're right, it's not something to be messed with!

My lad entered the public system after failing a hearing test at 9 months. From 15 months, I banged on doors, wrote letters, got councillors on my side, sat in waiting rooms, banged my head against the wall repeatedly, told the principle of psychology that my son wasn't a statistic, and so on. He was diagnosed with autism at 4 years and 7 months. This was after nearly 4 years of presenting with hand flapping, toe walking, obsessions (omg, mental, still!!), no speech - none, not a word.

One ''Professional'' said he was normal. My response was ''If that's normal, my friends kids are bonkers, cos they play, and read and colour and watch TV and fight and shout and cuddle and do all kinds of things that my boy doesn't do''

Now, in saying that, he is now 11 and has resources and opportunity coming out his backside. Public is grand once you get through the magic door, but you need a fierce big set of balls to knock through them ;)

And your balls are the size of boulders Lucyfur! :D

January wrote: »
    And your balls are the size of boulders Lucyfur! :D

So big they had to be put on me chest for fear of chaffing! Not unlike your own!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Yeah mental waiting lists for ENTs on public.

Very frustrating for parents when there's two year waiting lists for fitting a gromit that literally takes five minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Check out huge bullfrogs. They've got hands like a child. So cool though.
    Need a new crazy pet. Snakes are out of the way as herself isn't mad on them.
    Maybe a chameleon or caiman

Mines not for sale:D

55B5464337CD42F283F1602024926C3F-0000343138-0003497408-00500L-88910727BC044918B1363DECD3B639F9.jpg

fewtins wrote: »
    Yeah mental waiting lists for ENTs on public.

Very frustrating for parents when there's two year waiting lists for fitting a gromit that literally takes five minutes.

Oh so true! That glue ear can have so many knock on effects with speech and understanding, all for an, as you said, 5 minute procedure! Obviously there's anaesthetic and a few hours stay in hospital, but it's heartbreaking to see kids being held back when such a simple procedure would help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

This all started in the last week of October. Three lots of drops (one normal and two antibiotics drops), two course of oral antibiotics and nothing. Hearing has been getting worse. Audiologist suggested that the infection is still there (judging by my reaction to certain sounds and the pain that accompanies it!) but there's like a hardened layer of something in the way. Stupid infections. It seems to be getting worse daily, so I'm starting to worry.

kellief wrote: »
    This all started in the last week of October. Three lots of drops (one normal and two antibiotics drops), two course of oral antibiotics and nothing. Hearing has been getting worse. Audiologist suggested that the infection is still there (judging by my reaction to certain sounds and the pain that accompanies it!) but there's like a hardened layer of something in the way. Stupid infections. It seems to be getting worse daily, so I'm starting to worry.

If you can afford private in anyway I'd look into that.

• Advertisement

January wrote: »
    If you can afford private in anyway I'd look into that.

I was thinking of it. I was thinking about health insurance, but I don't know how long you need it before you can use it.

Some places have up to a year wait... if it's pre-existing it could be 5 years.

For ENT things, a private consultation is about €150. It's SO worth saving for cos unfortunately, it does get things moving. Under 5's now fall under the rights of disability act, which is awesome. Team members have 12 (I think it's 12, been a while since I availed!) weeks to make an appointment. It's a pity it doesn't stretch to all ages!

Hmm, I shall look into it!

I'm currently watching Paul Foot, this fella is brilliant!!

I'm also making notes! Students take up all my time, but I love it!

Ughhh. Just ughhh. That's my morning so far. Almost took the top of my thumb off with Stanley knife. So far this morning sux!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Snow, ****ing snow!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm just getting rain here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Sun here.

Snow, ****ing snow!

Where's that now

Angron wrote: »
    I'm just getting rain here.

Are we not in the same place?
    Where's that now

Galway, stopped now, was just a short shower but still.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Well I'm out at GMIT and only saw rain (unless it was very slushy snow)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Snow, ****ing snow!

bloody blizzard in Limerick this morning! it would wanna be gone before work finishes haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Was starting to worry about getting sponsored for shaving my head 'cause so many people kept saying 'I'll give you money when I have cash on me,' and not following up but today at lunch one person gave me money and then everyone around the table ending up giving me something. Still don't know if I'll reach me target but still glad to be getting something.

When is the head shaving taking place? I keep meaning to sponsor you, but keep on spending all my money... next payday is next Thursday.

Well I'm out at GMIT and only saw rain (unless it was very slushy snow)

It seemed to be a mix of the two actually. It was pretty obviously snow but it didn't last long so you might have missed it. There was apparently hail as well.
    When is the head shaving taking place? I keep meaning to sponsor you, but keep on spending all my money... next payday is next Thursday.

Been pushed out to the 12th of March 'cause of the college career fair so you've got plenty of time. Wanted to do it before that but I need a job when I graduate.

It seemed to be a mix of the two actually. It was pretty obviously snow but it didn't last long so you might have missed it. There was apparently hail as well.

Possible, been in and out of class most of the morning.

Possible, been in and out of class most of the morning.

Some flakes drifting past the windows again right now (along with the rain/hail/I'm not even sure what it is anymore).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Been pushed out to the 12th of March 'cause of the college career fair so you've got plenty of time. Wanted to do it before that but I need a job when I graduate.

Cool. Remind me next week ;)

Some flakes drifting past the windows again right now (along with the rain/hail/I'm not even sure what it is anymore).

Looked a bit misty really.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

Snowing like mad here, feckin' blizzard.

And I rang someone "in the know" about the car, and as it turns out, with the double locking and the fuse blown, the only way to get into it, is to break the driver's door window. Supplied and fitted at my front door is €120 so it's not really too bad I suppose...but still... :( load of poo...

• Advertisement

Looked a bit misty really.

Clearly we must have been opposite ends of the college or something. Home now so don't know what it's doing that side. Apparently it was snowing here as well though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement