Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OTB v3 - Revenge of the Banter Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Ahhh yeah sure Saturday night so will be laying into a ton of books myself, head will probably be mangled in the morning from all the studying.

(Not jealous) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

Been a busy few days with the weather being so good. Ended up valeting three cars and two motorbikes. Front and back garden got a seeing to as well. My reward?? Sunburn!! Me head and back are burned and I'm tired. Boo hoo... :( :pac: In work tonight too, hopefully it won't be too bad.

Hope you're all having a pleasant long weekend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Something about doing work in garden calms a man down ands it back and make it look better :)
    Anyone know if the offo or pubs are open today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

Something about doing work in garden calms a man down ands it back and make it look better :)
    Anyone know if the offo or pubs are open today

Pubs are open today anyway, not sure about off licences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Dunnes etc are closed but I think I saw a Molloys open it was in Finglas though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

January wrote: »
    :mad:

I have sweets and fizzy orange. I so wish I had Captain Morgans instead. This baby is being late on purpose. I just know it.

Herself is dying for a bottle of Prosecco mosty or some sort of drink, swear I wasn't a tad bit mean and say how delicious the tree bottles we had at our table for the wedding I was at were :pac:.
    Dunnes etc are closed but I think I saw a Molloys open it was in Finglas though.

Not all supermarkets are closed I know for one Super Valu in Lucan was open and I'd say a good few more are as well.

I'm jealous of everyone having a few drinks tonight I'm in work in less than an hour :(.

Herself is dying for a bottle of Prosecco mosty or some sort of drink, swear I wasn't a tad bit mean and say how delicious the tree bottles we had at our table for the wedding I was at were :pac:.

Not all supermarkets are closed I know for one Super Valu in Lucan was open and I'd say a good few more are as well.

I'm jealous of everyone having a few drinks tonight I'm in work in less than an hour :(.

Haha I was up at a wedding evening the other week and my mam made up for me not drinking the free alcohol on offer by drinking it for me! Hopefully I'll be able to have a drink within the next few weeks haha

Tesco is also open today I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Going to the silent disco street party tonight. Was down visiting relatives in Roscommon though and feeling wrecked. Would love a nap but no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

Absolute MAYHEM in work last night!!! Jesus, that's the roughest I've seen it since I started there. Only two of the five bouncers turned up and there was about 600 people in, if not more. It was brawl after brawl after brawl. It got so bad, there was a First Aid section set up in the kitchen for injuries, which included everything from broken noses and missing teeth to cut hands and ripped skirts (not kidding!) and there was a constant line for it. Ridiculous carry on. I certainly earned my few quid last night! At least that's it til next weekend! :rolleyes:

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Pkm, that's fcuking scary!

Lola is loving being out of the playpen she'd been confined to while her dislocated knee healed.

She's putting her screwed back together leg to good use by falling asleep on top of the sofa, while hanging on for dear life :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Working one hour a day this week, it's amazing!! I'm running an Easter course, so it's nice and calm!

I'm feeling quite unwell so it's helping!

One of my pals is home from London for a week, so we're heading out for dinner tonight, cannot wait!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Just back from the doctor and the sad prognosis is this: my BMI has jumped from 41.5 to 45 in just 4 months.
    To Slimming World I go!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

McChubbin wrote: »
    Just back from the doctor and the sad prognosis is this: my BMI has jumped from 41.5 to 45 in just 4 months.
    To Slimming World I go!

To be honest never mind slimming world just get active and learn how to make healthy nutritional choices.

A bootcamp will serve you better than slimming world ever will.

McChubbin wrote: »
    To Slimming World I go!

Good luck :) I was thinking of joining SW after the baby is born but we'll see... I was able to drop the weight without it but I was basically very low carbing before I got pregnant and because I plan on breast feeding baby long term, cutting carbs just won't work.

Still pregnant, getting seriously fed up. Just really want my body back at this stage, I'd give my right arm to sleep on my stomach again, I just cannot sleep any other way.

Have to agree with Marty re Slimming world.

Someone telling you what you can and can't eat means when you leave, you have no idea about nutrition. Without knowledge, you won't maintain any weightloss easily.

Personal trainer, or bootcamp would be a positive way to go. No harm asking for a referral to a dietician, too.

I remember ages back, marty was trying to bulk. He hadn't a clue what to eat, or what a carb was. :pac: So he went and educated himself (stealing some of my recipes in the process), and last time I heard, he was doing well. :)

Similarly with me, I was hugely overweight, similar bmi.

I hhadn't a clue about food, so went to a bootcamp for over a year, worked my ass off, started getting personal training sessions, and I've kept the weight off, and lost more. I'm trying to lose another stone or more but I'm at a fairly healthy weight according to my doctor.

Exercise and education is key.

My brother's girlfriend is doing Slimming World the past year and a half. She had two stone to lose and has reached her goal weight but still goes to the meetings every week, it's kind of a life long thing and it hemorrhages money because you have to pay for every class too. She still eats like a horse though.

I think it's a good stepping stone though, especially if you need that first push.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Speaking as a personal trainer, you need to work with someone that will give you a list of foods etc and a training programme, not a thing that will tell you to eat their branded food like weightwatchers etc

THANK YOU! Finally! It's not just me who thinks SW is a total gimmick. Everyone, including my doctor, is of the notion that in order for me to loose weight I have to first go on a diet, loose X amount and then tone up using the gym. I constantly get told that if I go to the gym first I'd only loose "water weight". I've done diet clubs in the past and the most I've lost out of all of them is 2 stone which swiftly goes back on as soon as I stop going to the meetings (on account of finances) or get sick of the branded food supplements.
    I've flitted from one diet club to the next over the years, from WW, SW and US to more expensive crap like Motivation but nothing ever sticks.
    My doctor has refered me to the obesity clinic in Loughlinstown hospital but it'll be a long wait to be seen.
    It's not just about my weight- I have psychological issues surrounding it too that fed into a lifetime of binge eating and a sedimentary lifestyle.
    I personally feel I'd benefit from a bootcamp over such gimmicky shlit such as yet ANOTHER stab at Slimming World but everyone else says otherwise.
    Anyways, I guess anything's worth a try at this point. If nothing else, it might help me ditch a stone or two before I save up for gym membership. I'm sick of my clothes not fitting right. :(

Where would your closest gym be? Would they do a student discount?

As long as you eat right and exercise you'll lost the weight. I'll be back on the wagon within the next few weeks so we can do it together :)

You can't just exercise and then diet, so people are right in saying you need to diet first.

Weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise, preferably starting both together.

Ugh. My mam went to a cardiologist today, for what she thought was a routine appointment. She's got to go back in tomorrow and be admitted for a while until they figure out what's wrong with her :(

• Advertisement

You can't just exercise and then diet, so people are right in saying you need to diet first.

Weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise, preferably starting both together.

Ugh. My mam went to a cardiologist today, for what she thought was a routine appointment. She's got to go back in tomorrow and be admitted for a while until they figure out what's wrong with her :(

Hopefully your mam is ok :\ I know the worry of heart problems :(

Where would your closest gym be? Would they do a student discount?

As long as you eat right and exercise you'll lost the weight. I'll be back on the wagon within the next few weeks so we can do it together :)
    My nearest gym is in Borimbhe but it costs around €350 for a year. Not sure if they do student rates but I highly doubt it. I enquired once about a pay-as-you-go-fee and I was more or less laughed out of the building. :(
    I'm not looking for much in a gym membership- just access to a bike and the odd Zumba class for when I shed a few pounds and gain enough confidence to be comfortable enough to risk looking like a tit. :P

The smallest I've been in my adult life is a size 16 (and being able to fit quite comfortably into a PENNEY'S size 16 shirt FYI) but that was largely due to being hospitalized a few years back.
    When I was in the hospital for a period of 6-8 weeks, my meals were closely monitored and I had regular access to an exercise bike in the rec room.
    Simply because there was literally **** all to do in the place, I started slowly building up my endurance.

Started out cycling on this bike for 20 minutes a day, gradually using it more and more until I was cycling for well over an hour each day. I loved it! You couldn't get me off the damn thing! I think the main reason I took to it was because the bike had a retro 80s computer built into it that built up collemns of coins for every mile so it was like a game trying to see how many coins I could rack up in the space of an hour.

It was great for me and I love cycling as I get a buzz out of it but as I can't afford one of my own (be it exercise or mountain bike) and I simply don't have the space, I've fallen out of routine with the spinning and as I came back into the real world and started eating "normally" again, the weight piled back on and my size 16 shirt got tighter and tighter until I could'nt wear it anymore.

I still have it in the back of the wardrobe and I keep telling myself that I'll get back into it someday but with gym prices being so high, I just don't know what to do about the exercise font. Only bit of activity I do is walking to most places- on average about 2-3 miles a day if the weather is good but it's at a very slow, leisurely pace and there's little to no impact.

My doctors have told me several times that I need to get my heart-rate elevated but I'm terrified of having a heart attack. Still, I'm determined now after the shock of hearing about my BMI tonight. My college is located at the top of a seven-storey office block and so help me I'm going to start taking the stairs from now on even if it threatens to kill me.

I can't live like this anymore. Also going to leave the debit card home for the time being as there are no less than SEVEN fast food outlets near my college. The temptation is like running a daily gauntlet and I always end up pigging out on readily available crap.

Sorry for the long post but I needed to talk. You guys are the most understanding folk I've met on Boards and I value your insights. Thanks for that. :)

I know your college and the temptation of that Chinese buffet downstairs alone would drive me demented... :\

Getting your heart rate up won't give you a heart attack. It'll get your blood pumping. If you can't afford it, don't go to the gym.

Download the myfitnesspal app. Stick in your height and weight and your activity level. It'll tell you how many calories to consume to lose weight.

Stop walking leisurely. Walk faster. Walk until you're sweating, panting and your heart is pounding. That means your heart is working at the right pace to burn fat.

But seriously, diet is the most important part. If your bmi is that high, you have to drastically reduce your calorie intake. I'm not saying that to be harsh, but that's how it is. Exercise alone isn'tgoing to fix it.

I know your college and the temptation of that Chinese buffet downstairs alone would drive me demented... :\
    Funnily enough, I went there once when I started and never went back. I don't like Kung Fu Buffet all that much. WAY too greasy. :pac:
    Gonna start back on the packed lunches and keep the lunch money to a bare-bones minimun- enough for a bag of grapes and a bottle of Volvic, I think.
    Another thing I'm going to attempt (and it's honestly the only thing I feel worked for me with Motivation) is keeping a food diary.
    It was helpful to see what I was eating on a daily basis and making adjustments if I fell off the wagon.
    Anyhoo, I've blattered on about this subject for ages.

Less babble, more tats! :D

Found this one on TattooLove. I've flirted with the idea of a dragon on me back but to me it always felt a teensy bit cliche...
    3D-Back-Dragon-Tattoos-800x977.jpg

Hope your mum is okay G_S.

McChubbin, just to add to the advice already if you look on youtube you can find some exercise DVDs and the like. I tried the 30 Day Shred one and thought it was good starting point. Also try having a look at some fitness and nutrition books. There's probably a lot of gimmicky **** out there but there's some good ones as well. Bought Pat Divilly's myself a while back and it has some very solid advice about nutrition as well as a detailed exercise programme. Haven't read it myself but a friend recommended Run Fat Bitch Run so might be worth a look as well. Also I can relate to the mental problems leading to overeating and doing **** all but as well as being good for your physical health working out and eating right does wonders for your mental health to. I find it nearly impossible some days to work out when my depression is playing up but when I do it always helps elevate my mood to some extent, same goes for eating good food. They can be the last things you want to do but they're seriously good medicine.

I joined Slimming World last August myself and I reached target. I know it can be seemed as a gimmick, but what I found with SW it's more about ensuring you have enough fruit, veg carbs, protein etc and how you cook them. I never felt limited, never felt forced into buying any specific food items. SW don't actually have a set range of foods for members to eat and stick to, they do have chocolate bars, but that's it! Once you reach target in SW, you don't have to pay, once you stay in a 3 pound range of your target weight.

It worked for me because I'm physically unable to exercise thanks to my pain, but I'm now swimming more, which is the only exercise I can do!!

I would love to be able to do fit camps/bootcamps/zumba but any time I run/do zumba I end up in hospital! :(

New glases prescription, head is seriously spinning. Making me so nauseous.

Just saved a fish! Sitting at home working when I decide to go and look out at the pond. Noticed one of the smaller koi was trapped and barely breathing behind a plant pot (feckin eijit!), so I unstuck him and let him go.
    I keep going out the back and making sure he's okay!
    Sitting quite comfortably now after my physio session this morning, sitting with my trusty hot water bottle making notes for work!
    It's a lovely day out, but just a bit too chilly to work outside, so garden door is wide open!

• Advertisement

The mammy has gone into hospital. Hopefully she'll be okay. She's gonna keep in touch and my dad will be dropping me up to see her tomorrow after work.

Off to the cinema with the boyfriend now. He met more of my family yesterday accidentally, approval all around :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement