Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What your favourite game EVER

Options
  • 10-05-2013 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Like the post says, state your favourite game on any of the Playstation's and the reasons why it was the best.

For me it was Arkham Asylum.

It had everything that I love in games. A great linear story, none of this open world that's getting squeezed into every game regardless of whether it suits it or not. The voice acting was superb, Mark Hamill was exceptional as the Joker. The storyline was amazing and the music and dark setting backed it up to create a eerie atmosphere.

The fighting was fluid and easy to control, being able to string together a multi hit combo with ease has since been copied in other games. Detective mode mastered what other games have been trying to do since Tenchu and MGS started the stealth gameplay trend. The puzzles were a great addition and this is probably the only game I've ever bothered to get 100% playthrough in.

The graphics still look amazing despite AA being 4 years old now, and the little details such as Batman's cape getting torn show how much effort went in to making this the best playstation game EVER.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Good question!
    I change my mind a lot but right now, it's definitely Red Dead Redemption, absolutely loved it.

I think it has one of the coolest protagonists ever and there was so much to do!
    Beautiful setting, gameplay was simple and great fun. Also, the story was so intriguing, after I finished a mission it just made me want to go straight on to the next one :)

But tomorrow I'll probably look at this and be like "wtf? Metal Gear Solid 3 all the way!" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Jay1989 wrote: »
    Good question!
    I change my mind a lot but right now, it's definitely Red Dead Redemption, absolutely loved it.

I think it has one of the coolest protagonists ever and there was so much to do!
    Beautiful setting, gameplay was simple and great fun. Also, the story was so intriguing, after I finished a mission it just made me want to go straight on to the next one :)

But tomorrow I'll probably look at this and be like "wtf? Metal Gear Solid 3 all the way!" :pac:
    Both great games, I've done RDR to death meself. I thought the Undead Nightmare was brilliant too, although it did trail off at the end. Years since I played MGS 3. Loved it as much as the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Boulder Dash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Has to be Uncharted 2 for me

Some of my all-time favourite gaming moments happened in this game. Trying to figure out how to fight your way past a group of bad guys, it became like a choreographed dance. Knowing where they'll be, where you have to be, and timing everything to perfection. I'm not usually a fan of shooting games, but this was brilliant, and really drew me in

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Thought a table might be useful - feel free to drop if you want
    To Add or Edit this table please
    1. Quote Post.
    2. Remove QUOTE tags
    3. Add your game (pref alphbetically) or your vote to an existing game (more than one :) )

For me it's Uncharted, followed by Batman and Oblivion

Game | Vote
    Arkham Asylum | 1
    Boulder Dash | 1
    Red Dead Redemption | 2
    RDR - Undead Nightmare | 1
    Uncharted | 1
    Uncharted 2 | 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Migworks

Game | Vote
    Arkham Asylum | 1
    Boulder Dash | 1
    Colin McRae | 1
    Dirt | 1
    GTA San Andreas | 1
    Red Dead Redemption | 2
    Uncharted | 1
    Uncharted 2 | 1

GTA San Andreas was just brilliant and consumed more man hours than anything else, and Colin McRae and Dirt were simply breathtaking in their day. I now only play Blops2 online as it works for me most times and is ever changing with the good, bad and ugly players you get to fight! ( but then I'm an original PC counter strike guy) lol

Migworks wrote: »
    GTA San Andreas was just brilliant and consumed more man hours than anything else
    I never got into San Andreas and I'm a big GTA fan. It started off with too much customisation of character and making sure your turf is protected. All I wanted to do was the missions. I tried to give it another go last year but too much time has passed and the controls sucked compared 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Theres a lot of variables to consider, but my go-to favorite game of all time is Sonic the hedgehog 2. Played with an original megadrive pad, on a CRT tele, gaming heaven :D

Theres a lot of variables to consider, but my go-to favorite game of all time is Sonic the hedgehog 2. Played with an original megadrive pad, on a CRT tele, gaming heaven :D
    Not a playstation game but I suppose the header could be construed as misleading. The original wins hands down IMO. If your into sonic you should try the fan remake. Its only 3 levels long but the graphics are fantastic.

Thought a table might be useful - feel free to drop if you want
    To Add or Edit this table please
    1. Quote Post.
    2. Remove QUOTE tags (beginning and end of message); not the TABLE tags
    3. Add your game (pref alphbetically) or your vote to an existing game (more than one :) )

For me it's Uncharted, followed by Batman and Oblivion

Game | Vote
    Arkham Asylum | 1
    Boulder Dash | 1
    Colin McRae | 1
    DIRT | 1
    GTA San Andreas | 1
    Red Dead Redemption | 2
    Uncharted | 1
    Uncharted 2 | 1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll go with Castlevania Symphony on the Night. Have to say it's a far better game than some of the picks already for best PS1 game.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Metal gear solid.

Played it again last month, still epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

Probably one of the pro evo games but special mentions to crash team racing and the first two smackdown games.

The game I've been best at in my life has to be smackdown 2. Was ridiculously good at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

+1 on Metal Gear Solid, have so many good memories of that game, don't think I'll ever forget it. I think the last time I played through it was just before mgs4 came out. Its been too long, must give it a run through again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Final Fantasy 8.

A game hated by many many FF purists - for good reasons tbf, lots of corniness and the game could be easily broken to the point that it was made very easy from very early on - but to me the soundtrack, world and sense of immersion was unparalleled.

+1 on Metal Gear Solid, have so many good memories of that game, don't think I'll ever forget it. I think the last time I played through it was just before mgs4 came out. Its been too long, must give it a run through again.
    I played this again last year and couldn't believe the dialogue to gameplay ratio, it was definitely original in that respect. I was playing on an emulator and I got stuck on Psycho Mantis, I could only configure one controller port for some reason so couldn't swap over. It's definitely on my to do list for the summer.

Orizio wrote: »
    Final Fantasy 8.

A game hated by many many FF purists - for good reasons tbf, lots of corniness and the game could be easily broken to the point that it was made very easy from very early on - but to me the soundtrack, world and sense of immersion was unparalleled.
    Great game alright, I liked the full sized characters and the summon/guardian forces were an improvement on 7. I gave up on the series after they went back to using miniature characters in 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭dupeters

For me it would have to be G-POLICE on the original playstation.

I can still remember it starting up , the game play and graphics were unreal for the time.

Happy times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Marsden wrote: »
    No a playstation game but I suppose the header could be construed as misleading. The original wins hands down IMO. If your into sonic you should try the fan remake. Its only 3 levels long but the graphics are fantastic.

Ah, I didnt see that it was playstation only. In that case, I had a metric ton of fun with Micro Machines V3 back in the day. So thats my pick :D

Update

Game | Vote
    Arkham Asylum | 1
    Boulder Dash | 1
    Castlevania | 1
    Colin McRae | 1
    DIRT | 1
    G-Police | 1
    GTA San Andreas | 1
    Metal Gear Solid | 2
    Pro Evolution Soccer | 1
    Red Dead Redemption | 1
    Uncharted | 1
    Uncharted 2 | 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

This is tough, could pick any of the metal gears, or the final fantasies. FF VIII was my first ff and I think my first rpg so it will always be at the top of my lists.

But I'm going to pick Syphon Filter, I loved that game and even though I've played many better games now I haven't enjoyed them any more than I did playing syphon filter back in the day.

Game | Vote
    Arkham Asylum | 1
    Boulder Dash | 1
    Castlevania | 1
    Colin McRae | 1
    DIRT | 1
    Final Fantasy VIII | 1
    G-Police | 1
    GTA San Andreas | 1
    Metal Gear Solid | 2
    Pro Evolution Soccer | 1
    Red Dead Redemption | 1
    Syphon Filter | 1
    Uncharted | 1
    Uncharted 2 | 1

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

Final Fantasy IX or MGS:Snake Eater.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Deus Ex on PS2 (probably miles better on PC but I didn't have one).

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭istaunton

I really enjoyed the whole Legacy of Kain series. Not sure which one I got the most out of. Plus Kain was a horrible bas***d which was brilliant.

But i think i might have to go for the First God of War or maybe MGS3 or 4 or maybe syphon filter or maybe infamous or DMC3.

AAAAAHHHHHHH this is too hard

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Grand Theft Auto :Vice City,

it came off the back of the incredible GTA3, brought a hollywood cast of voice actors,& some of the best songs ever heard in a game ever. Maybe its cause I grew up in the 80's but I just related to so much in that game (apart from the whole small time criminal rises to power bit).

If they updated that games graphics and gave it the combat system from GTA4, I'd pay top dollar for that game!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Don't know about favourite, but Playstation games I've put the most time into have been Gran Turismo and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

added fary cry 3 to the table. havent enjoyed a game that much in a long time.

Game | Vote
    Arkham Asylum | 1
    Boulder Dash | 1
    Castlevania | 1
    Colin McRae | 1
    DIRT | 1
    Far Cry 3 | 1
    Final Fantasy VIII | 1
    G-Police | 1
    GTA San Andreas | 1
    Metal Gear Solid | 2
    Pro Evolution Soccer | 1
    Red Dead Redemption | 1
    Syphon Filter | 1
    Uncharted | 1
    Uncharted 2 | 1

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

I think it would probably have to be Mass Effect 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

Destruction Derby gets my vote. Had so much fun with that game as a kid :)

• Advertisement

Updated :)
    Also trying to choose between the many Legacy of Kain games, Jak & Daxter series and quite a few more.

Game | Vote
    Arkham Asylum | 1
    Boulder Dash | 1
    Castlevania | 1
    Colin McRae | 1
    Destruction Derby | 1
    Deus Ex | 1
    DIRT | 1
    Far Cry 3 | 1
    Final Fantasy VIII | 1
    Fina Fantasy IX | 1
    G-Police | 1