Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glenmalure to Marlay Park Hike your advice needed.

Options
  • 10-05-2013 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi Guys ,

I was wondering if I could ask for some of your advise with regards to the wicklow area. At the end of July I'm taking off a week from work to walk from Glenmalure all the way to Marlay park in Dublin.
    I believe it will take me about 3-4 days and although ill be going in the same direction as the Wicklow way Ive plotted out my own course which in some parts runs parallel to the Wicklow Way.
    May at the bottom.
    Gear wise Im try to go as light as possible, picking up water, and food along the way. Ill be carrying my Sleeping bag, Ultralite Hennessy Hammock, Tarp, MSR Stove for cooking basic food on, 2 liter water Bladder, Survival knife thats great at shopping wood. Map and Compass of the area.
    Ill only be spending my first night in the Glenmalure B&B and the rest will be under the stars between trees. Im hoping the weather is gonna be at leas dry but if not ill be prepared anyway.
    Currently my backpack weighs in at 25lbs but looking to trim of some fat on that as well.
    Im about 11stone, 5 8, reasonably good shape , dont smoke or drink much, more done camping then actual hikes.
    What id like to ask is your advise on the route ill be taking , ive plotted it out so i check out some interesting spots, be able to pick up food on the way and be close as possible to trees so as to setup camp.
    Hopeing to travel an average of 5-6 hrs a day and since I have the whole week free im in no real rush to make it back to Dublin.
    So wondered if you could offer any advice on the route im taking or any tips to make it even better. Im looking forward to it as it will be my first real Hike and camping trip alone for such a long period of time.

Many thanks .
    Map below.
    http://goo.gl/maps/KZlp6

The Buck

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

If you can walk along those straight red lines to Mullacor and Glendalough, you're a better man than I :) Better pack the chainsaw as well!!

Drumgoff to Marlay Park via the Wicklow Way is c 65 kilometres, so abt 15 km a day over 4 days... handy enough. No particular need to stick to the route, if you fancy alternatives. Good anyway to make up one's own mind. You won't pass any shops on that route between Laragh and Marlay.

If you want a guide to the Wicklow Way with good maps or other detailed maps, look up www.eastwestmapping.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 25 dfin

Sounds like really good fun. Bring your midge spray and a net if you have one.
    I'm assuming you will not be sticking rigidly to the track you've shown - apart from the forrestry there is quite alot of private land on your route. (Luggala estate, Powerscourt Estate as well as farmland) - My advice would be to follow your gut about the way you go, take your time and enjoy it.
    If I were you I would pass to the west of Lough Dan instead of the east, it's a nicer route and has agreed access but does require a river crossing at Inchavore. Your route down by Powerscourt waterfall is doable if steep and be prepared to get grief from the gatekeeper on the way out, useually you have to pay addmission

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheBuck

BarryD wrote: »
    If you can walk along those straight red lines to Mullacor and Glendalough, you're a better man than I :) Better pack the chainsaw as well!!

Drumgoff to Marlay Park via the Wicklow Way is c 65 kilometres, so abt 15 km a day over 4 days... handy enough. No particular need to stick to the route, if you fancy alternatives. Good anyway to make up one's own mind. You won't pass any shops on that route between Laragh and Marlay.

If you want a guide to the Wicklow Way with good maps or other detailed maps, look up www.eastwestmapping.ie

Thanks Mate , Yeah the Red line is flexible enough and I just wanted to go my own way as I found the part of the wicklow way incredibly boreing from Maraly park.
    Ill have to pack some food for the trip between Laragh and Maraly as all i have to cook with is a MSR Multi-fuel stove. Pasta or rice seems to be on the cards.
    Cheers for the info!

dfin wrote: »
    Sounds like really good fun. Bring your midge spray and a net if you have one.
    I'm assuming you will not be sticking rigidly to the track you've shown - apart from the forrestry there is quite alot of private land on your route. (Luggala estate, Powerscourt Estate as well as farmland) - My advice would be to follow your gut about the way you go, take your time and enjoy it.
    If I were you I would pass to the west of Lough Dan instead of the east, it's a nicer route and has agreed access but does require a river crossing at Inchavore. Your route down by Powerscourt waterfall is doable if steep and be prepared to get grief from the gatekeeper on the way out, useually you have to pay addmission

Thanks dfin,
    Yeah its a flexi line , but generally heading north towards Maraly park.
    I've already been to the west of Lough Dan and you are right its a beautiful area so thought Id try the east side and see what that is like.
    With regards to private land , im hoping that Ill just pass thru unnoticed, and head for any wooded areas for when I camp , away from people or homes so as not to draw attention , keep a low profile etc etc...
    Would I really need Midget spray ? Also I guess Ill be traveling thru some bogs with water etc etc...

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

TheBuck wrote: »
    Would I really need Midget spray ?

Yes, and not just in the bogs. Midges rules the Wicklow mountains in the summer months.

• Advertisement

Donny5 wrote: »
    Yes, and not just in the bogs. Midges rules the Wicklow mountains in the summer months.
    Feck , thanks Guess ill have to bring something, decideing on either the Hennessy Hammock or the Gelert Solo tent. Have some spray anyway so will decide depending on the weather as ill be going end of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

TheBuck wrote: »
    So wondered if you could offer any advice on the route im taking or any tips to make it even better. Im looking forward to it as it will be my first real Hike and camping trip alone for such a long period of time.
    I'm having trouble understanding the route - I understand you want to be flexible, but big long red lines isn't a route, it's a direction. The first third around Dublin looks reasonable, but the last two thirds are very vague.

Some of your route goes through fields, inaccessible forests and through very private land (e.g. you need to pass through a locked gate to take the Luggala road, then tramp through Mr De Bruins back yard to get back onto the road). The last thing I'd want to be doing with a big pack is trying to make my way through difficult terrain.

If you do intend dropping down to Powerscourt that way be very careful as it is very steep and slippy near the waterfall. That again is private land down there (with an entrance fee).

If I was you, I'd either stick to the Wicklow way, or do some reccie hikes to scope out my route.

hmmm wrote: »
    I'm having trouble understanding the route - I understand you want to be flexible, but big long red lines isn't a route, it's a direction. The first third around Dublin looks reasonable, but the last two thirds are very vague.

Some of your route goes through fields, inaccessible forests and through very private land (e.g. you need to pass through a locked gate to take the Luggala road, then tramp through Mr De Bruins back yard to get back onto the road). The last thing I'd want to be doing with a big pack is trying to make my way through difficult terrain.

If you do intend dropping down to Powerscourt that way be very careful as it is very steep and slippy near the waterfall. That again is private land down there (with an entrance fee).

If I was you, I'd either stick to the Wicklow way, or do some reccie hikes to scope out my route.

Fair points , but believe me its very flexible , but as someone already pointed out its a case of using good judgement along the way.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭endacl

dfin wrote: »
    Your route down by Powerscourt waterfall is doable if steep and be prepared to get grief from the gatekeeper on the way out, useually you have to pay addmission
    Shouldn't be a problem. He'll just be asked to leave!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 dfin

endacl wrote: »
    Shouldn't be a problem. He'll just be asked to leave!

I know, I was asked to leave but was already at the gate. Still, I wouldn't do it again

I was also asked to leave Luggala estate on a seperate occasion, only this time they asked me to walk out the way I had come in rather than out the gate a few hundred meters away. I've learnt my lesson ( Lets say I was young and foolish at the time)

My attitude now would be private property with no tradition of access is a no go. I can walk around it or pay in. I wouldn't assume to tell anybody else what to do... However, I would ask anyone going into the hills to be considerate of others - be they landowners, local residents or those that will follow after them - that they stay safe and be adequately prepared.

The Buck,
    I responded to this thread because I like the idea of what you are trying to do. (And theres nothin quite like putting a route down on a map and mentally walking it through - planning is nearly as fun as getting out!) It's up to you how you do it. There are two huts on your way, one at Mullacor, one at Brusher's Gap that I can't recommend them highly enough. I would choose to stick to the more remote and mountainous areas close to your route if it was me but I can't advise you to do this when I don't know your navigation skills?

On the other hand (I suppose ironically) I'm nearly tempted to suggest you end this thread and just go for it, choosing your route wisely. Sometimes too much planning and advise can take away from enjoying the moment. You will really enjoy Wicklow but you have a whole week - why not take a look a bit further afield? The possibilities are endless

• Advertisement

Thanks Mate , I take on board your words , and understand what you are saying .
    Basically the route i've picked is not ideal , in fact it needs to be very flexible and most likely ill be hugging the Wicklow way route.
    Im fairly good with a compass and map, and worse case its always North I head or if i give up head east towards the coast and take the train in.
    I just hope that the weather is decent and that any over night camping spots are peacefull with a view of the night sky. Too much to ask ? Who knows , I only know that I want to do this , before i get to old. I want to say that i did it on my own with just a Map and compass to lead my way.
    Thanks for your advice guys , its been duly noted.
    Cheers.
    Buck

Hi Guys ,
    Does any one have the Locations of the Huts that MOUNTAIN MEITHEAL have built on the Wicklow way ?
    I can find the Mulacor hut but not the others.
    If you have a gird ref or GPS Long/Lat in degrees would be cool.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I can't reccommend taking any route east of Lough Dan, its on tarmac, forestry road, or thorugh grassy or tillage farmland. Passed a pile of sugar beet back in the day along the forestry track near the pier gates back in the day.

I'm using ubuttu, so your lines don't show up on google maps, so I'm going blind here.
    I you have time, consider heading up Glenmalure to the top of the valley and taking in Three Lakes, Lough Firib and Turlough Hill, before heading across the Wicklow gap, up Tonlegee, and down to lough Ouler. The lake is heart shaped and I've camped a few times on the peninsula at the top centre of the heart shape.

From here, descend to the military road, go north and then down to the valley above Lough Dan, or across to Kanturk or Scarr mountains.
    Up to Lough Tay, up to the pier gatesand eithe take the Wicklow way towards Djouce, or take the road towards the sally gap to https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=209981461798663882320.0004dc1fd326b1c7f3c28&msa=0&ll=53.115222,-6.263645&spn=0.001413,0.003154

Theres a dry stone wall withe a wide grass area over it here I camped before.
    I've also seen people camped at the Dargle bridge above Powerscourt waterfall west of the forest, below Djouce.
    Anywhwere north of here, I'd be very wary about camping on my own.

Thanks mate but why would you be wary of camping on your own ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

as you'ld only be a few miles south of Dublin city, there's a chance of skobes, dodgeballs& quare hawks about

Camped at Crone carpark a long time ago, I've since heard lads in souped up cars go cruising there, and it being a knacker-drinking area,

Same up above Glencree, lots of tyre marks from burnouts and drifting. near the miltary road

Advertisement