Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Rugby to set up base at UL

• 10-05-2013 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

Heard this on the lunchtime news today.

Munster rugby are to base themselves exclusively in Limerick from 2014-15 season onwards. As part of this they are to build a new training facility at UL. In the past and currently, the squad trained in both Limerick and Cork which involved a lot of travel and logistics.

For more, see the Limerick Leader:

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/leader-local/munster-to-get-new-purpose-built-facility-at-ul-1-5079432

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Where will the facility be built in UL?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

In Clare technically I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

lockman wrote: »
    Munster rugby are to base themselves exclusively in Limerick from 2014-15 season onwards.
    The people of Cork won't be happy with that.
    The people of Limerick won't be happy with that.

testicle wrote: »
    The people of Cork won't be happy with that.

The people of Limerick won't be happy with that.

Everyone will still say its in Limerick.

The people of Clare won't be happy with that,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

shaaane wrote: »
    The people of Clare won't be happy with that,

The people of Limerick will like that. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Either way, the people of Cork won't be happy with it, so everyone else will be happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭overthebridge

It's worth 10 million to the area

Runs and hides

On a more serious note, I think its brilliant that Munster rugby will finally have an official home. It makes much more sense for the players and staff to work from the one place in terms of commuting and logistics and its a win win for them and UL too. UL will be delighted to have the home of Munster on their grounds and Munster will be delighted to have their home in UL. Looking forward to 2015 when everything is up and going and we can officially call our county "The home of Munster Rugby" (sorry Cork). :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I'd imagine the Cork based lads will have to relocate?

seachto7 wrote: »
    I'd imagine the Cork based lads will have to relocate?
    Possible but I doubt it. Handy spin from Cork to UL for a bit of training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Where are they going to put it? Next to the Pavilion and new astro turfs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Figerty

If the northern link road goes in through Parteen. the new training centre will be about 8-10 minutes from Thomond.

Cork won't be happy.

Figerty wrote: »
    If the northern link road goes in through Parteen. the new training centre will be about 8-10 minutes from Thomond.

Cork won't be happy.

I doubt that road will go ahead.There's loads of people objecting to it. It'd be great if it did though.

Chavways wrote: »
    Where are they going to put it? Next to the Pavilion and new astro turfs?

My Q exactly. Wouldnt make any sense though. Miles away from the Arena, the pool, the track, the bowl.

There was supposed to be a major redev of Maguires field into a hardcore sports arena but the students voted against it...

Dr Nic wrote: »
    My Q exactly. Wouldnt make any sense though. Miles away from the Arena, the pool, the track, the bowl.

There was supposed to be a major redev of Maguires field into a hardcore sports arena but the students voted against it...

It wasn't going to be very hardcore. As far as I know it was just going to be resurfacing and floodlighting at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭MrLaurel

Dr Nic wrote: »

What have the students got to do with it? Seriously, UL has a long term plan and with Munster's base in the middle of it, taking a vote from people who come and go every 3/4 years and have no long term commitment to the area is time wasting

You will have to ask them... The students were funding it apparently with 300eur each a year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

MrLaurel wrote: »
    What have the students got to do with it? Seriously, UL has a long term plan and with Munster's base in the middle of it, taking a vote from people who come and go every 3/4 years and have no long term commitment to the area is time wasting

Well considering we were going paying for it since they are UL pitches.

They merged the New students union, arena extension and pitch refurb (surfacing and lighting, not a hardcore sports arena :confused:) into one vote.

The amount that was going to be added to each student was too high so it was voted against. The main reason was because of the stupidly big overly designed fancy SU that was costing a crazy amount.

When they rehold the referendum and split up the arena/pitches and stupid fancy SU into 2 different vote´s id imagine it will pass. It was only a few % shy of the majority vote this time around.

Advertisement