Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take Away with Late Licence.

Options
  • 10-05-2013 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Just looking for an opinion.

Take Away with a Late Licence, opening until 3 am, in rural Town. Any opinion on what the rent would be worth

thanks

Newman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

As in take away food and take away alcohol?

Firstly it's illegal to sell alcohol for take away after 10 pm.

Secondly it's very difficult to get permission to keep a take away restaurant open until 3am, especially in rural towns, as local Gardai have the final say on the late opening hours.

In summary, rent is the least of your worries for this proposed venture.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

It is Take Away food outlet which has planning to stay open after midnight, An old fashion Fish n chips with some seating.

Most money would be made after 9pm on the weekends so it is feeding the late drink crowd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

It's just a normal "chipper" so? When you mentioned a late licence it confused me.

I don't know much about the food business but a good reference point is that the rent should be no more than 10% of net turnover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

You won't be allowed to serve alcohol in a chipper at 3am.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You won't be allowed to serve alcohol in a chipper at 3am.

You'd be a mad man to keep serving people at that hour as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Think everyone is confused, I presume OP thinks he needs a license to have his premises open late - you don't as far as I'm aware since you are not serving any alcohol, you can be open 24 hours a day if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Joseph wrote: »
    Think everyone is confused, I presume OP thinks he needs a license to have his premises open late - you don't as far as I'm aware since you are not serving any alcohol, you can be open 24 hours a day if you want.

He did say he has planning to open late. The planners can and do attach conditions re opening hours mostly for reasons of anti social behaviour so in this case, the op does appear to have permission to operate late where some others might not.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

mickdw wrote: »
    He did say he has planning to open late. The planners can and do attach conditions re opening hours mostly for reasons of anti social behaviour so in this case, the op does appear to have permission to operate late where some others might not.

It has Planning Permission to open until 3-4am on weekends. I am trying to put a value on how much the rent would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Depends pure and simple on the current turnover. The higher the current turnover the higher the rent.

If you're serious about the business you need to get access to the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

newman10 wrote: »
    Just looking for an opinion.

Take Away with a Late Licence, opening until 3 am, in rural Town. Any opinion on what the rent would be worth

thanks

Newman

Hi Pat,

I take it from this post that you are thinking of renting out a premises you own,and you have the benefit of a late night trading licence, which is almost impossible to get under current planning regulations.

I have operated in this area in the past and know the value to this type business of being able to open when all the others are closed.

This advantage should enable you to charge a premium rent compared to other establishments operating under the early (midnight) closing rules.

There are several other factors to take into account when trying to gauge the potential rental income to be derived.

Does the premises have customer toilets, seating etc, or is it take away only.

Does it have the potential to operate as a sit down during the day and a take away only at night.

Population of the town will have a huge bearing on rental value as will proximity to a nightclub.

Your turnover will have an impact on rental value.

If I misunderstood your post and you are considering renting a premises with a late licence you should take the above factors into account

You should look for last/current health board visitation report.

You should visit the premises (park outside) at different times of the day and night to see what its business is really like.

I would also check with the local planning officer to see if any other premises on the street/area have been granted planning permission for a food outlet, you don't want to invest you hard earned money into a premises to find out several months later that a major chain plans to open 2 doors away from you.

Last point do not under any circumstances pay key money or buy a lease, if someone wants to rent a premises in todays climate a large deposit and good references should be enough.

If you want to discuss this further feel free to PM.

Regards,

Fries.

• Advertisement
Advertisement