Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a Gaming PC

• 10-05-2013 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

1. What is your budget? 500 to 600 euro

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No, I have no parts

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need. N.A

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1920 x 1080

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? None

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Maybe

8. How can you pay? Paypal

9. When are you purchasing? The next 3 months

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? No help needed
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Something like this would do nicely but if you aren't ordering for 2-3 months then the build will most likely change quite a bit by then. Come back closer to ordering.

Item|Price
    AMD FX-6300 Prozessor, Boxed, Sockel AM3+|€104.00
    ASRock 970DE3/U3S3, AM3+, ATX|€55.64
    8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL7|€54.43
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s|€56.69
    BitFenix Merc Alpha|€32.32
    3 x ARCTIC COOLING ARCTIC F12|€9.87
    be quiet! SYSTEM POWER 7 500W|€53.73
    PowerColor PCS+ HD7870 Myst. Edition 2GB GDDR5(UEFI READY)|€199.49
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - Intel/AMD|€29.94
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€615.10

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Tiernanism93

Hi Thanks so much for replying , would I be too cheeky to ask for Intel instead of AMD haha??
    Something in the i series maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The cheapest i5's are around €150 and aren't overclockable. It would outperform the 6300 though.

The i3 would be a worse choice.

You could drop the cpu cooler and go for an i5 build though. It would still be around €30 - €40 more.

Would it be advisable to drop the cooler?
    I will be gaming and doing a bit of programming on the side, and using photoshop too.
    If you reckon the AMD processor will do the job thats fine for me.
    Would I expect a good output from this pc spec for gaming?
    Thanks again

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Hi Thanks so much for replying , would I be too cheeky to ask for Intel instead of AMD haha??
    Something in the i series maybe

In terms of price/performance at just over 100 euros the FX6300 is probably the best value for money CPU on your budget, especially if you overclock it. If you look at the benchmarks below the FX6350, which is essentially a slightly overclocked FX6300 does exceptionally well vs the i3-3220 which is the closest Intel equivelant at that sort of pricepoint. If you spend more on something like the i5-3470, then you would have to either up the budget a reasonable amount or get a lesser GPU.

The link is in german but the graph is self explanatory.

I would definitely recommend getting the FX-6300 over the the FX-6350 and overclocking yourself BTW, the benchmarks are more to illustrate how much the FX6300 would benefit even from a fairly trivial overclock to 3.9GHz, the same level as the Fx6350. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to get the FX6300 to 4,4GHz+ with good cooler like the 212 above.

Although the imminent release of Haswell may change things by the time you get to buying so definately check back closer to purchase time :)

• Advertisement

Once again , thanks for replying guys.
    Agh I suppose there is no harm in going for an AMD so :)
    My first pc had an Athlon 3000+ processor and i never had problems ,
    its just my laptop has a core i3(M380) and i have gotten used to Intel.
    But with my budget as is, il stick to AMD for now as my planned processor.
    Since im not building for a few months I will decide when im there :D .
    One other queston , is building easy??
    Im used to repairs and I have a few years experience in software, and upgrading pcs and mixing and matching parts etc . .:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

There's no such thing as being "used to" a CPU. Performance is performance and that varies from model to model.

wasnt exactly on about the cpu rather than the Brands ..

wasnt exactly on about the cpu rather than the Brands ..

I'm assuming the "than" is a typo.

What I said stands. What I mean is, there is no real difference between using Intel and AMD CPUs, they do the same thing. The main difference is speed, and, sher that varies from model as well as from make.

Thats your opinion :) the only thing that affects me is whether or not im getting value for money , on a student budget haha

• Advertisement

Heya guys , Just wondering will i be hit with customs on the items I ship in from http://www.hardwareversand.de/ , my mate ordered a longboard from the states that cost him up on 370 and then customs of 115 , which was a kick in the teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

No you won't Germany is in the European Union and so is Ireland.

Perfect thanks very much!

Hey guys, I'm back again, two months since the first post, I'm wondering if you guys could find anywhere to improve the original build, as my budget is now 700 euro,thank you in advance guys!

Hey guys, I'm back again, two months since the first post, I'm wondering if you guys could find anywhere to improve the original build, as my budget is now 700 euro,thank you in advance guys!

Add in an SSD or upgrade the processor and motherboard to an i5 which takes your fancy?

An ssd came to mind first,but can you suggest mobo and CPU upgrade with links?

http://www.hardwareversand.de/DDR3/59305/ASRock+B75+Pro3%2C+Sockel+1155%2C+ATX.article

http://www.hardwareversand.de/Socket+1155/66369/Intel+Core+i5-3470+Box%2C+LGA1155.article

The i5 should be a bit faster in games that are very cpu dependent but not much better in games that are gpu dependent. I'd probably go for the ssd.

Can you suggest an ssd?? 80 -100 price range

As far as I know this is the best one in that price range
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/Solid-State-Disk/67795/Samsung+SSD+840+120GB+SATA+6Gb+s.article

Very good feedback from people on here who bought one.

• Advertisement

Was just making up the shopping cart to buy all the pieces , and now i realise the Graphics Card is no longer listed :/ can somebody suggest a similiar/better card for same price?? THanks guys in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭The Golden Teapot

looks awesome :o whats the catch??

looks awesome :o whats the catch??

None :). This card was 215 a week ago, so it's even cheaper again! (Probably due to it being out of stock for the next few days). Man, that's a bargain! Fantastic value in that card. Wow. SLI 660tis seem fantastic value these days with the price drops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Oh wow, was going to get a 760 but a 660ti for 30-40€ cheaper is just too good a deal to pass up for such a minor performance boost O_O

Can somebody give me minimum psu Watt needed with 660 ti? ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Can somebody give me minimum psu Watt needed with 660 ti? ?

Any decent 400W-450W+ will be fine for one GTX660ti regardless of CPU.

Thanks!!right taking the plunge tonight and ordering this ,any last suggestions or further advice like payment method, shipping,etc, ? ?you guys have been very helpful,

When I say ordering this,I mean the original suggested build but with the 660ti.

PayPal fee of 20 euro :( can anybody tell me if the bank transfer charges anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

PayPal fee of 20 euro :( can anybody tell me if the bank transfer charges anything?

The standard bank transfer doesn't.

Ulster Bank offered to charge me €18 for an express one.

The standard one is still expected to only take a day anyway.

This was through online banking.

Advertisement