Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Drink 'wall'

• 10-05-2013 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭

When do you usually hit yours? Me, typically around the sixth pint can drink no more and have to quit, hoping to improve on it tonight!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

After 12 Jager bombs and 6 appletini's I'm anyones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Only 6 pints? Jaysus.

About 4 cans and 10 vodkas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What's this "wall" you speak of? I have to force myself to stop or it becomes a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Sad.

Drink can have that effect on people.

Do you need to talk to someone that cares?

I don't, was only asking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I don't think I've ever hit a wall where I can't drink anymore. I usually stop either when I run out of money, or when I can't physically get to the bar anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

BOHtox wrote: »
    Only 6 pints? Jaysus.

About 4 cans and 10 vodkas

Jaysus you're great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Jaysus you're great.

If you're going to get upset with an AH style response in AH, you probably shouldn't read the forum or you'll post like that a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

The problem with pints is the sheer volume of liquid your consuming, if you swap onto spirits you will be able to keep going far longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

newportlad wrote: »
    When do you usually hit yours? Me, typically around the sixth pint can drink no more and have to quit, hoping to improve on it tonight!

If its 6 pints it seems like you are living a relatively healthy life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

If you're going to get upset with an AH style response in AH, you probably shouldn't read the forum or you'll post like that a lot.

Yur ma didnt say dat last nite

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

The problem with pints is the sheer volume of liquid your consuming, if you swap onto spirits you will be able to keep going far longer.

True, but then you end up with an awful hangover.....naked.....in a cell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Tuesday of the second week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As a young 'un I drank many a spirit. The problem with spirits is the lack of volume, it's very difficult to pace yourself. 3/4 gulps and a double vodka is down the hatch.

Pints force you to at least take some time over them and the effect is cumulative; the drunker you get, the slower you drink. Spirits are the opposite, the drunker you get, the faster you drink.

The only way to pace yourself on spirits is to drink them straight, but then that's not an enjoyable drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

I stop when I can see better without my glasses/contacts than with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

This guy hit it on the way home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Usually by 2nd episode of CSI... snoring starts soon after; so my wife tells me.

Now... 20 years ago; differing story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

Too many factors to consider, If I'm having a lazy saturday afternoon, one pint every 40 minutes, I could easily put in a ten hour shift of ten or eleven pints, whereas if I'm having a couple of quickies after work, I wouldn't be able to hold much more than 4/5 pints after an hour/hour and a half. Other things like amount of sleep, food etc can make a big difference.

More importantly is if someone can recognise their wall. If I'm full/hammered/sick, I'll stop drinking. some people drink till they pass out, vomit uncontrollably and worse. Some people just don't know when to stop.

What you're drinking is a big one too. 4 pints of guinness will fill you up a lot more than 4 pints of lager, wine will give you a headache, vodka or whisky will make you fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

7 1/2 cans. About 6 maybe 7 pints depending on the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

When I drank every weekend I could drink up to 8 maybe 9 pints before getting full of pints and move on to shorts, now on the rare occasions i go out i drink about 6 or 7 pints and leave it at that. vodka is evil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

People with big engines can stay ticking over on pints for lengthy periods. I find that I always retain some form of rationality and reason.

Heavy spirit drinking over a lengthy period is a different kind of drunk. It can make a drinker messy, emotional and a potential danger to themselves or others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

3 pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

"If" I drank still,

the ideal way to drink both financially and physically is to drink spirits first followed by pints,

you drink your cans or half a naggin/naggin or whateves and then you reach a certain level of drunkenness where pints will tide you over for the rest of the night.

It's arseways to drink 3/4/5 cans which cost a fiver and then go out and lash into 5 or 6 shots which are a fiver a pop at least. Your level of drunkenness goes up slowly at first (cans) and then skyrockets (shots) when your already out and having 'a buzz' and you're not as mindful of what level of intoxication you're at.

Spirits first, then pints. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Aced_Up

Sad.

HUMANS :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

More of a floor than a wall I would have thought.

You know you need to stop when you think you're going to fall off the floor whilst lying face down on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Aced_Up

Im not good at drinking, despite coming from the Isle of Man. It gets to a point I dont know whats happening, infact I cant remember anything... but I end up in my own bed.

Friends have witnessed this: I would be in mid slur.. and I would put my pint down and disappear. My theory is that I have an autopilot that once the trigger is activated I manage to get home.

So, after finally realising this... I just stick to three pints and drink water afterwards until Im sober.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Depends how much food I've had before. Anything between 3 and 5 pints.

When I'm drunk, the thought of my impending hangover makes me want to stop drinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I can drink a litre of spirits and keep going barely most nights...can do a whole slab of Bulmers if I get a proper feed into before hand. I normally stick to a half litre to 70cl though for obvious reasons or anywhere from 10-15 cans if that's the choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

When that woman who looked like Mary Harney when I walked in all of sudden looks like Mila Kunis, then I know I have hit "the wall"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

TheComeUp wrote: »
    I can drink a litre of spirits and keep going barely most nights...can do a whole slab of Bulmers if I get a proper feed into before hand. I normally stick to a half litre to 70cl though for obvious reasons or anywhere from 10-15 cans if that's the choice.
    Jesus.

15 cans of beer on a night is 7 Litres.

It's hard not to sound like a wet blanket saying this but you're going to pay that back someday with your health if you carry on.

I don't know how anyone can think it's reasonable to do that to their own body...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I was on 24-48 330ml cans per day for a good part of the Nineties. The 'wall' was usually the clock on the wall and having to work the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

3 pints is my max these days, after that the sick happens. In the wild days of my youth I used to be able for 4 pints and a can or two at someone's house after, but those days are gone... I can't pace myself at all after a certain point so I just have to keep the magic 3 pint figure in my head and things work out okay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 MichaelHunt

TheComeUp wrote: »

this is the saddest post I have ever read on boards. I hope to God you are joking. You are a disgraceful indictment of what modern Ireland has become. Your liver will be cirrhosed by the time you are forty. Put down the cans mate, there's a whole world outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

People with big engines can stay ticking over on pints for lengthy periods. I find that I always retain some form of rationality and reason.

Heavy spirit drinking over a lengthy period is a different kind of drunk. It can make a drinker messy, emotional and a potential danger to themselves or others.
    Its all down to the person, some cant pace themselves no matter what, pints are just forcing them into pacing themselves.

I can drink spirits for the night and be fine with it, mostly cause i can pace myself and if needs be will get the odd soft drink if i need a break for half an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I thought this was going to be about that favourite student interior design - the empty beer can wall

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Sure now you're moaning yourself about the fact you got a AH style response!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I hate the drunk feeling - even when I was younger my limit was 3-4 drinks to stop before the wall rised. Now I could still drink 3 glasses of vino but weekends only - having said the first glass is always the nicest - I enjoy the taste I don't enjoy getting wasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    I thought this was going to be about that favourite student interior design - the empty beer can wall

Was thinking the exact same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

I love overdoing it about once a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

It all depends on the timeframe. 6 pints is nothing really when you start at maybe 1pm and continue till 2am the next morning after a weeks dry period with food thrown in.

6 pints in maybe 3-4 hours on a night out maybe hitting that wall for most people i'd reckon but then again it depends on the strength of the beer, you'd definitely hit that wall after 6 pints of 5.5% beer for example from 9pm to 1am if you drink it fast than drinking standard Guinness which from memory is 4.3%. You'd drink more on lower strength beer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

There are some right miserable so and sos in this thread.

I don't see the problem with drinking 15+ pints on a night out if it's every few weeks or so. If it was every night that would be a problem, but some people just want to get ratarsed every now and then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

i have no 'wall' as such.if i have a few beers at home 6cans would enjoyable,however if im out with good company(read good drinkers) i could pace myself over a good few hours and easily sink 15-20 pints and remain pretty coherent.spirits don't really agree with me,a bottle of whiskey gets me fairly well oiled so its very rare ill be drinking those.plus the only way to avoid a spirit hangover is to drink it neat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 MichaelHunt

i have no 'wall' as such.if i have a few beers at home 6cans would enjoyable,however if im out with good company(read good drinkers) i could pace myself over a good few hours and easily sink 15-20 pints and remain pretty coherent.spirits don't really agree with me,a bottle of whiskey gets me fairly well oiled so its very rare ill be drinking those.plus the only way to avoid a spirit hangover is to drink it neat.

Mate!!
    10 litres of lager or 1 litre of hard spirits!
    do you have any idea the damage you are doing to your liver, not to mention your other organs? I don't care if it's only once a month, that's an horrific amount of alcohol to be consuming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

15-20 pints over a "good few hours" is not pacing yourself in anyone's language

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

I hope you don't drink like that on a school night sonny?! You'll never get the junior cert if you do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Gweedling wrote: »
    15-20 pints over a "good few hours" is not pacing yourself in anyone's language

right,so if i go to a pub to watch an early match,say 11.45 kick off and i stay out til 2.30 am that's 15hours.That makes it roughly a pint an hour,which is very slow by my reckoning.so yeah its fair to say id be pacing myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

This thread spells out a lot of Ireland's serious issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

I'm what most people would consider to be a lightweight. I start feeling it after about 4 or 5 pints.

Anybody ever read about Andre The Giant? He apparently necked down 156 beers in one sitting, and on another occasion drank 14 bottles of wine. It sounds unbelievable but he was a huge man.

Edit: Maybe the numbers are a bit high but he was supposedly a huge drinker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

The last definitive wall I hit was after a liter of vodka. Hungover for about 3 days after it. Awful idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Jesus.

15 cans of beer on a night is 7 Litres.

It's hard not to sound like a wet blanket saying this but you're going to pay that back someday with your health if you carry on.

I don't know how anyone can think it's reasonable to do that to their own body...

I realise the risks involved but I'm the healthiest I've ever been and it's not like I do this every week. I understand your concern but I know once I leave college I mightn't even drink more than a few pints. I'm studying to become a primary school teacher and it's not the sort of profession that has the tolerance or the time to be drinking that much so in a way I guess I'm making up for it? :o
    this is the saddest post I have ever read on boards. I hope to God you are joking. You are a disgraceful indictment of what modern Ireland has become. Your liver will be cirrhosed by the time you are forty. Put down the cans mate, there's a whole world outside.

Chill...

• Advertisement
Advertisement