Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Drink 'wall'

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

Paddies Day

1pm - Bottle of Cava in Mimosas

3pm-7pm 2/3 bottle of dark rum

7-8 1 pint

8-10 4 cans larger

10pm went for a "quick nap before due to leave for a party. Woke up at 5am, no hangover whatsoever. Generally half of that would cripple me for days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

Drinking a lot is obviously going to have an impact on your health but it can vary from person to person a great deal. Someone getting drunk on about 6 or 7 strong pints is arguably doing as much damage to themselves as someone getting equally as drunk but drinking more. Therefore if the second guy was only drinking 6 or 7 but not getting rat assed like the lightweight drinker, he may well not be doing himself as much harm.

It's all debatable though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I'd drink 15 pints on a good night and be in a reasonable enough state considering, rarely slurring and never messy/puking/aggressive. My friend over here owns a pub and I think that's part of the problem. When I go for pints there I end up rat arsed by midnight and because the session continues on I'll easily end up drinking until 5am. During the week I'm fastidious about my diet and train hard in boxing (around 8-10 hours a week) but then every two weeks or so I end up killing myself with drink. While I've no bother putting that much away, I'm destroyed for two days afterward and training is usually a write-off on Monday because I'm a heap of sweat and death after 20 minutes. Forget sparring, my head is still banging and I'm puffing 20 seconds into it.

The gas thing is I then get mad urges to repeat this process every 2-3 weeks. I think it's some sort of Irish cultural thing embedded into my psyche. Funnily enough I won't touch a drop of alcohol if I'm not out on the lash, it's all or nothing,

FTA69 wrote: »
    I'd drink 15 pints on a good night and be in a reasonable enough state considering, rarely slurring and never messy/puking/aggressive. My friend over here owns a pub and I think that's part of the problem. When I go for pints there I end up rat arsed by midnight and because the session continues on I'll easily end up drinking until 5am. During the week I'm fastidious about my diet and train hard in boxing (around 8-10 hours a week) but then every two weeks or so I end up killing myself with drink. While I've no bother putting that much away, I'm destroyed for two days afterward and training is usually a write-off on Monday because I'm a heap of sweat and death after 20 minutes. Forget sparring, my head is still banging and I'm puffing 20 seconds into it.

The gas thing is I then get mad urges to repeat this process every 2-3 weeks. I think it's some sort of Irish cultural thing embedded into my psyche. Funnily enough I won't touch a drop of alcohol if I'm not out on the lash, it's all or nothing,

I drink pints too but that's because I'm a lightweight and don't usually go past about 7. But how can people drink 15 pints? That's an awful lot of liquid. I'm not even sure drinking that much water would be good for you, let alone beer. Are you guys not running to the toilet a lot?

I don't know to be honest. I'm only an average size lad as well but I've often outdrank friends of mine who are 17 stone plus. It's not an exaggeration either like. I suppose you could manage 10+ pisses in a night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 MichaelHunt

you've got a drink problem mate.
    perhaps it's due to boredom, itchy feet outside of the gym. happens to a lot of guys who are at an high level in sporting fields.

I'd suggest going to a psychiatrist and getting some disulfiram.

you've got a drink problem mate.
    perhaps it's due to boredom, itchy feet outside of the gym. happens to a lot of guys who are at an high level in sporting fields.

I'd suggest going to a psychiatrist and getting some disulfiram.

In my opinion the high amount of liquid is probably making it worse than it would be if he was drinking spirits. Although none of it is good for you, obviously. I wouldn't call it a drink problem as such if he's just binging every now and then, but it's certainly a potential health problem.

I'd suggest accepting the fact that I'm a 25 year old living in London and that getting lashed is often part of that equation. Most people at that crack tend to grow out of it by their 30s.

It's by no means a healthy attitude to booze but I wouldn't say I need to talk to a psychiatrist. Follow on that logic and you'll be worse than the Yanks, a bloody head shrinker and drugs for everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

When I hit the wall, i put the head down and burst through it

• Advertisement

I'd suggest accepting the fact that I'm a 25 year old living in London and that getting lashed is often part of that equation. Most people at that crack tend to grow out of it by their 30s.

It's by no means a healthy attitude to booze but I wouldn't say I need to talk to a psychiatrist. Follow on that logic and you'll be worse than the Yanks, a bloody head shrinker and drugs for everything.

Most doctors say that heavy drinking can be tolerated by the liver up until the age of about 30 or 35 (depending on when you start) but after that it takes its toll. Have fun for the next few years then cut back a bit.

Btw, if you like beer more than spirits you could look out for the stronger Euro beers in certain bars. They are much stronger than average beers in the UK and make you slow down the drinking process. They are also much better quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

About 5-6 pints. Much less if it's champagne or really good beer.

Btw, if you like beer more than spirits you could look out for the stronger Euro beers in certain bars. They are much stronger than average beers in the UK and make you slow down the drinking process. They are also much better quality.

I'd just end up drinking the same amount but being demented. It's real ale or stout I drink which is just too easy to quaff. Wouldn't touch lager or cider.

Can't drink more than a small glass of lager without feeling dizzy. I have a very low limit so I hardly ever bother drinking.

I can't imagine what the hangovers (and wallets) are like for the people who think 15 - 20 pints in a night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

I'd just end up drinking the same amount but being demented. It's real ale or stout I drink which is just too easy to quaff. Wouldn't touch lager or cider.

Sensible lad in London. I lived there for three years, the lager and stout is pure muck, but I loved the real ales over there. 8 or 9 pints of normal stuff, 4-5 pints of a decent IPA will do the same job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Hard puking limit is around 6-7 pints, but if I keep it under 4 pints then I'm unlikely to be particularly hungover the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pug160 wrote: »
    I'm what most people would consider to be a lightweight. I start feeling it after about 4 or 5 pints.

Anybody ever read about Andre The Giant? He apparently necked down 156 beers in one sitting, and on another occasion drank 14 bottles of wine. It sounds unbelievable but he was a huge man.

Edit: Maybe the numbers are a bit high but he was supposedly a huge drinker.
    It's hard to tell as there can be a lot of bravado with big drinkers. On 24 hours in A&E the other night there was a young guy in who was a fairly incredible alcoholic. Was only 22 but had utterly Shane McGowaned himself on the booze, shakes and everything. One of the nurses asked him how much he'd drink in a full day and he answered "74". The guy was relatively small in all dimensions, so it could have been the drink talking, but at the same time if you work it out and imagine he starts drinking when he wakes at 7am and doesn't stop till 2 or 3am, then you're talking less than 4 cans per hour. That would obliterate most of us, but if you were a chronic alco, you could probably take it.

Andre the Giant being an enormous man, if he went on a 24 hour binge or longer, I reckon 156 pints sounds plausible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

4 pints/drinks in, I can't stop until I am either broke or pass out. I've only once passed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

10-11 pints/cans sometimes more.

It all depends though, i mean i usually drink at least 10+ pints/cans but that's over a good few hours, pre drinking and then drinking back in a house where i tend to drink a lot more slowly and i can get sick if need be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Pug160 wrote: »
    Most doctors say that heavy drinking can be tolerated by the liver up until the age of about 30 or 35 (depending on when you start)....
    That's a big claim. Please back it up if you can.

If it is incorrect, then you are giving people advice which might encourage them to do things that are bad for their long-term health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If it is incorrect, then you are giving people advice which might encourage them to do things that are bad for their long-term health.

Pretty much contradicted by the huge increase in recent years in liver disease among younger people. link.

• Advertisement

Pretty much contradicted by the huge increase in recent years in liver disease among younger people. link.

I was paraphrasing what I've heard a few doctors saying over the years. Basically that the liver can withstand a certain amount of punishment for a few years and recover so long as the drinking is curtailed at a certain point. I think that sounds fairly logical but I'll admit that it is rather ambiguous.

Liver damage is occurring in people who are younger but there is a difference between drinking heavily and drinking yourself into oblivion, with a large number of people doing the latter. I think someone who has never touched alcohol could kill themselves within 5 years if they were determined enough. I think organs can recover in cases where there isn't a significant amount of damage done - that's the main point I was referring to. How much damage and for how long is difficult to answer so putting age limits on it is probably unwise admittedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

We have a saying in Ireland : "Let's drink until the alcohol in our bodies destroys are livers and kills us".

No seriously though, a wall? Are you talking about literally not being able to drink any more or getting drunk?

I'd get fairly pissed off 8/9 pints but I'd keep going until I passed out or ran out of money if I so chose. For some reason I never vomit from drink (albeit the hangovers headwise are awful).

I have given up on drinking captain morgan because it's like rohypnol and I don't remember the night so pints all the way now and it's great!

Oxegen is where you test ones metal to see your drinking ability!!!

It all depends on the definition of heavy drinking, or alcohol abuse. It's extremely ambiguous. Most of those young people will have been seriously damaging their liver with serious drinking. The problem is that there's no definition of ''serious drinking'' - just guidelines that state what binge drinking is. Too much salt is bad for us, but there would be a massive difference between eating a few grams over the guidelines and putting it on your dinner by the teaspoonful.

My point remains and no links are needed as it is pretty much common knowledge that the liver can regenerate up until a certain point. If I were a doctor I'd just be telling people to try their best to stick to guidelines as there are no guarantees in life. If there are people taking what I say as Gospel on After Hours then I think they're probably destined for failure in life to some degree anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭newportlad

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    We have a saying in Ireland : "Let's drink until the alcohol in our bodies destroys are livers and kills us".

No seriously though, a wall? Are you talking about literally not being able to drink any more or getting drunk?

I'd get fairly pissed off 8/9 pints but I'd keep going until I passed out or ran out of money if I so chose. For some reason I never vomit from drink (albeit the hangovers headwise are awful).

I have given up on drinking captain morgan because it's like rohypnol and I don't remember the night so pints all the way now and it's great!

Oxegen is where you test ones metal to see your drinking ability!!!

Ye the wall is probably a silly connotation for me to use in relation to drinking, just popped into my head.

What I mean by it is literally not being able to drink anymore, I liken it to eating too much food and the same sick feeling where you can't eat another bite..so not necessarily being really drunk, just really full... of beer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭newportlad

Cheer's everyone for the replies

Interesting to hear everyone's drinking statistics and stories!!

In hindsight I think this phenemenon I have dreamed up may really only apply for those that just drink beer and not as much for spirit drinkers, tho correct me if I'm wrong.

I only go out for drinks maybe once every three weeks or so on average, (tho last night was my second week in a row:D) and play a lot of sport so maybe this contributes to me being somewhat of a lightweight in the drinking stakes..??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

newportlad wrote: »
    In hindsight I think this phenemenon I have dreamed up may really only apply for those that just drink beer and not as much for spirit drinkers, tho correct me if I'm wrong.

For me it's about 4 pints at the very most before I feel sick. I'm not even very drunk, just feeling queasy. But I can move to whiskey and keep going all night.

Advertisement