Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Candian Customs, not very friendly.

• 10-05-2013 5:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭

Ok, so having returned from a 2 week trek to Canada I have to say I really loved the country, the friendly and tolerant people and the diverse culinary and entertainment scene from Toronto to Vancouver. Having said that I was very annoyed at how I was treated by Canadian customs, Im a single male traveller who was staying 2 days here, 2 days there etc so I had the whole thing planned out (trains, hostels etc) but I was singled out plain and simple by the customs officers on arrival who started asking me very detailed qs "Why come here alone? You dont know ANYONE here? (I dont, I was travelling alone and have no relatives here, I didnt know that was a crime). Show us all your documention, what do you plan to do here? etc etc.

I was questioned by 3 different people asking the same things and basically looking at me like I was a criminal. I will however say they werent aggressive or very rude to me it was more the vibe I got from all the questions. I was saving up for the holiday for 2 years so you can imagine how excited I was and this treatment on my arrival really put a sour spin in things and actually made me a bit paranoid that I was being tagged or something. I know they have strict laws but is this detailed questioning of lone tourists really common? Anyone with similar stories please let me know, Im considering making a complaint about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

I've experienced it as well. I went with a large group way back in 2005 and found them borderline rude. I got the feeling they thought everybody from Ireland was a terrorist or something. Some of the group had British passports because they were from NI but the officials didn't seem very knowledgeable about it. My advice to anybody would just be to stay calm and not let it bother you. Despite America having a bad reputation I found Canada to be surprisingly heavy handed in this regard. Still a nice country though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

You have your compatriots to blame for that. Plenty of people trying to get in illegally these days, and a 2 day stay probably just raised some minor alarms with them. It's the job of immigration folk to be assholes, it puts everyone off and people who are legitimately there for dodgy reasons are more likely to be caught out. Don't take it personally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Yep what COYVB said
    Canada is a target for lots of folks wishing to work illegally.
    Single male from a country in recession you ticked a lot of boxes for special attention.
    It's nothing personal its just they are extra vigilant at present

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Sunshine87

Came here for a 2 week holiday last summer, found them rude.

Came over here with my visa last month and they were lovely, had no hassle at all.

All depends on who ya get!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Sunshine87 wrote: »
    Came here for a 2 week holiday last summer, found them rude.

Came over here with my visa last month and they were lovely, had no hassle at all.

All depends on who ya get!!

I'd say it's more to do with you having a working visa rather than a holiday one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Wanderer, you say you were there for 2 weeks, what documentation/ID did you bring? I thought a tourist didn't need a visa? I'm glad to read what you said, I can relate. Just a simple guy, following the rules, why the big deal, I get it.

I also agree it largely probably comes down to the reputation of other Irish. The American government communicates that problem to the Irish government every year - Irish staying illegally is rampant and not tolerated. Your nationality probably got you attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I think airport customs no matter what country have huge egos. I find the whole Irish = Potential illegal workers BS. Hundreds of thousands of Irish visit the USA and only a few stay as illegals. There is only like 20,000 Irish illegals in the USA out of a country of 4.5 Million people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭crushproof

Amazing the difference a few years make. I went over in 2010 solo on a one year visa (before the huge swarm of Irish) and was literally welcomed with open arms by customs at the airport, chatting and laughing away with 5 of them for a good while, such a great impression when arriving in a foreign country on your own.
    Cue 3 years later, thousands more Irish heading over, some illegally and the tone has totally changed. A million and one stern questions the last time I was flying into Canada. A shame really but hey, they're just doing their job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

There job is to assume you have something to hide and for you to prove you don't, they are there to protect the borders. Not to be your friend. Single male travellers are always going to have a more difficult time, and I'm guessing you don't have any major ties to home - like a house and mortgage. Also you will encounter a few idiots in any profession, it's important to keep that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Sunshine87

crushproof wrote: »
    Amazing the difference a few years make. I went over in 2010 solo on a one year visa (before the huge swarm of Irish) and was literally welcomed with open arms by customs at the airport, chatting and laughing away with 5 of them for a good while, such a great impression when arriving in a foreign country on your own.
    Cue 3 years later, thousands more Irish heading over, some illegally and the tone has totally changed. A million and one stern questions the last time I was flying into Canada. A shame really but hey, they're just doing their job.

I was the same last month - customs were so nice, he only checked my passport and barely checked my LOI, he even thought my visa was for 2 years when it was only for 1 (got it last yr). Didnt check insurance or funds. Welcomed me and i was on my way within 20 minutes of arriving.

Like i said, it depends who ya get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Thanks for the replies people, seems its quite a common thing, especially with all the influx of illegal workers etc. As for documentation, they went through all my train and hostel info, which surprised me. I though they were just asking to see my reaction, didnt expect them to go through each and every itinerary! Ill know what to expect in the future now, maybe Ireland will have bounced back by then. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 V8_man

They're like that every time I cross the border, it's their job (and ok some seem to enjoy it more than others..). Don't take it personally even when it seems that way. like someone else said, you just tick a lot of boxes travelling alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Myself and a friend went to Toronto on a week long trip last year and we we're grilled at customs, but not in a rude manner.

My friend wasn't working at the time and they quizzed him and myself about each other. I told him before that just to not lie at all about me or himself and I explained that he was unemployed and that I was working and the 2 officers spoke to each other and the guy I was talking to said he was happy with my story and just confirmed it with my friend and we were sent on our way!

I found that they were VERY rude to naturalised Canadians! I'm talking people of Asian origin that had terrible english but were on Canadian passports.

My experience didn't bother me at all because they have to be careful. I am moving there on a WHV in 5 weeks so will be interesting to see what it's like this time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Jeez, I've found Canadian immigration officers very nice! The US immigration officers however....

Advertisement