Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This boy is cracking up

• 10-05-2013 5:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭

I despair at reading that the bronze statue of Phil Lynnott near Bruxelles was almost broken in two in two last night. There are some right scummers out there. No respect :mad:

I won't link the article as it's in 'that' paper:

A statue in honour of Thin Lizzy frontman Phil Lynott has been badly damaged after vandals pushed it over.

The life-size bronze sculpture just off Grafton Street has been removed after it almost split in two on impact.

Gardai said two men, thought to be aged in their 20s, carried out the vandalism at about 4.15am on Harry Street.

The statue sits near the front door of Bruxelles bar.

The suspects left the area on foot in the direction of Grafton Street and on to Wicklow Street.

Gardai said one was wearing a white shirt, a tie, trousers or jeans and had short dark hair while the second man wore a navy or dark jacket, had a tight haircut and heavy build.

Gardai in Pearse Street said they wanted to make a specific appeal for a number of people to come forward, including the group who lifted the statue after the attack, a man driving a white van who may have been making deliveries nearby and anyone else who saw the incident.

The statue, which was badly cracked across the midriff, has been removed for repairs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Say it ain't so, Joe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Jesus, it's like 9/11 all over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭mcwinning

What paper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

This poster has broke down:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I'd say it was just drunk guys messing about unaware that it would fall over rather than an attempt to actually damage it. Even Phil Lynotts mother said that she doesn't think they meant any harm and she's not annoyed with them.

So not scummers, just idiots, sh!t happens.

Linkeh to article

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Did one have chocolate stains in his pants? If so, it could be a case of self harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Why was the statues more solid? Good people do stupid **** when **** faced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

thanked for brilliant threat title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

pity it didnt fall on the ****wits and crush them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

It was probably captain Farrell.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

orestes wrote: »
    I'd say it was just drunk guys messing about unaware that it would fall over rather than an attempt to actually damage it. Even Phil Lynotts mother said that she doesn't think they meant any harm and she's not annoyed with them.

So not scummers, just idiots, sh!t happens.

Linkeh to article

I don't see how it could have been an accident, anyone who has been near it or witnessed people climbing on it could see how solid and stable it was, would take a lot of effort to topple it over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Sad that these scumbags have no respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Love the thread title. Hopefully it was accidental and can be fixed.

The same can't be said of the cover version of Old Town by The Corrs, which was an undeniable act of vandalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Gmol wrote: »

This is it. That statue gets an unholy amount of vandalism, is it just the location or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

big in Belgium was he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

Pricks.

I'm waiting for an alibi but I don't believe a word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

"bronze"... how has it not been robbed and melted down already:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

I guess the boys won't be back in town tonight then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭rox5

Even if they were drunk, it's no excuse. I have been drunk loads of times and never felt the need to mess around with a statue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

They should be made smelt down the old one and carve a new on while doin hard time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Pushing over a statue of the frontman of an overrated band? Heresy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

copacetic wrote: »
    I don't see how it could have been an accident, anyone who has been near it or witnessed people climbing on it could see how solid and stable it was, would take a lot of effort to topple it over.

Or they thought that it was so stable and solid that a couple of guys messing around wouldn't knock it over and over-estimated how much weight it could support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The statue was half cast(e)

Pushing over a statue of the frontman of an overrated band? Heresy!

There's a little village looking for an idiot. Keep your phone close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

rox5 wrote: »
    Even if they were drunk, it's no excuse. I have been drunk loads of times and never felt the need to mess around with a statue.

Never even copped a feel of Molly Malone?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭The Barefoot Pizza Thief

They are lucky they did it when they did, a couple of hours either side of midnight and they would've (deservedly) got seven bells of shite kicked out of them. The statue was placed there for a reason, as Bruxelles is where he drank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

File now for DPP on the 2 scummers.(assuming it was them!)

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0510/391598-phil-lynott-statue/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

I broke out in a cold sweat when I read this. Seems like people think it's ok to do anything you want to do these days as long as you are having a good time. Bunch of trouble boys with a bad reputation now. Anything can happen when the sun goes down. Still I suppose it could be worse, there could be a killer on the loose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Apparently they aren't rebuilding the statue just Phil Lynnott in..

I broke out in a cold sweat when I read this. Seems like people think it's ok to do anything you want to do these days as long as you are having a good time. Bunch of trouble boys with a bad reputation now. Anything can happen when the sun goes down. Still I suppose it could be worse, there could be a killer on the loose.
    Dear Lord, call the police. It's getting dangerous.

Dear Lord, call the police. It's getting dangerous.

Well well, look what the wind blew in. I fear this thread is going southbound.

Well well, look what the wind blew in. I fear this thread is going southbound.

Nice I thought we were chatting today. Are you fighting? Looking for a showdown?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Nice I thought we were chatting today. Are you fighting? Looking for a showdown?

you old sly cat

sadie06 wrote: »

The same can't be said of the cover version of Old Town by The Corrs, which was an undeniable act of vandalism.

I didn't know this existed until now, my holy god.... It's nearly as bad as Shane McGowan & Sinead O Conor's "haunted". I was truly haunted after listening to that ****e.

On topic poor Phil :( , people do stupid stuff when hammered they probably didn't even realize who the status was of.

• Advertisement

Ok but I warn you It'll be a massacre, I'm gonna creep up on you and use my ray gun. Get ready to meet the angel of death. Are you ready to be brought down? I'll meet you at the Clifton Grange Hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Scumbags.

But oddly enough I never knew it wasnt placed in the ground :o Always thought it was a proper statue. I guess Bruxxelles own it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Derpington95

This boy has broke down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Pushing over a statue of the frontman of an underrated band? Heresy!

FYP

Ok but I warn you It'll be a massacre, I'm gonna creep up on you and use my ray gun. Get ready to meet the angel of death. Are you ready to be brought down? I'll meet you at the Clifton Grange Hotel.

Careful Warrior don't have a heart attack. Get back to your S&M.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

"bronze"... how has it not been robbed and melted down already:o

a few months ago a bronze sculpture was stolen from Yeat's grave in Sligo, 2 nights before a bronze plaque was forced off the wall at the county museum in Letterkenny. Anything bronze in a public area is easy pickings at the moment it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭stretchdoe

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    Did one have chocolate stains in his pants? If so, it could be a case of self harm.

But surely it's a habit worth forming, if it means to justify the ends.
    Anyway, if they lock them up, i hope there isn't a jailbreak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

They put their money in a suitcase

stretchdoe wrote: »
    But surely it's a habit worth forming, if it means to justify the ends.
    Anyway, if they lock them up, i hope there isn't a jailbreak.

The gardai have arrested 2 guys. In the interview room now waiting for an alibi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

To you and me, they're just renegades

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

sadie06 wrote: »

I'd vandalise Sharon Corr any time

Careful Warrior don't have a heart attack. Get back to your S&M.

If you are wise you will leave this town. Don't expect the friendly ranger at clontarf castle to save you, he's a renegade now. I've bribed him with an emerald and a silver dollar, expensive but it's worth it. It's only money. He's skint, things aren't working out down on the farm. I'll get you with great dedication even if I end up fighting my way back. Im under the spell of old moon madness now. This will be epic, like something out of Hollywood....Yore Ma....She knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

They should be shot with both barrells :mad:.

If you are wise you will leave this town. Don't expect the friendly ranger at clontarf castle to save you, he's a renegade now. I've bribed him with an emerald and a silver dollar, expensive but it's worth it. It's only money. He's skint, things aren't working out down on the farm. I'll get you with great dedication even if I end up fighting my way back. Im under the spell of old moon madness now. This will be epic, like something out of Hollywood....Yore Ma....She knows.

You should go running back to your old flame. She's an angel from the coast, though she might be with johnny or rocky. Be nice or someday she's gonna hit back. Quit the bad habits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Systemic Risk

rox5 wrote: »

Ah come on, I've woken up with many a bronze statue in my bed after a heavy session. I can't help it, my standards are non existent at 3am :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement