Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heart Rate Monitor & Calories

Options
  • 10-05-2013 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I've been doing quite a bit of training with the aim of increasing my strength and losing weight and its been going very well as a whole. But in recent weeks I've started a new role in work, its a full time position and to be honest I find myself eating a lot more some days and other days I don't find the need to eat a whole lot.

I've used a number of different equations to give me a number of calories i need to consume but it doesn't seem to fit with the new job and the fact that some days can be very easy going and other days are very busy...

So I was thinking of getting a heart rate monitor that may be able to calculate how many calories I'm burning, so I could get a baseline of a days work and a session in the gym in order to get a more accurate number for the calories needed for myself.

So here is my question, is there any heart rate monitor that would be able to do this? Basically if it could be used to measure my heart rate and from that tell me how calories my body has used?

If this is the wrong place to post this I'm sorry:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Hey all,

I've been doing quite a bit of training with the aim of increasing my strength and losing weight and its been going very well as a whole. But in recent weeks I've started a new role in work, its a full time position and to be honest I find myself eating a lot more some days and other days I don't find the need to eat a whole lot.

I've used a number of different equations to give me a number of calories i need to consume but it doesn't seem to fit with the new job and the fact that some days can be very easy going and other days are very busy...

So I was thinking of getting a heart rate monitor that may be able to calculate how many calories I'm burning, so I could get a baseline of a days work and a session in the gym in order to get a more accurate number for the calories needed for myself.

So here is my question, is there any heart rate monitor that would be able to do this? Basically if it could be used to measure my heart rate and from that tell me how calories my body has used?

Garmin's give you an output of how many calories you burn.
    Working in an aerobic zone will enable you to lose weight faster.
    Using that with myfitnesspal then you should be all set and the weight will just fall off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

rom wrote: »
    Garmin's give you an output of how many calories you burn.
    Working in an aerobic zone will enable you to lose weight faster.
    Using that with myfitnesspal then you should be all set and the weight will just fall off.

Most of the weight has already fallen off, I'm just looking for a way to calculate my daily output of calories in order to make sure I'm eating enough as with the new job the amount of calories doesn't seem enough, but I'm eating over my calorie allowance...I'd just like to plan my eating around the days I actually need to eat more and with an accurate number for calorie burned during different work days and of course calories expended during training too

Most of the weight has already fallen off, I'm just looking for a way to calculate my daily output of calories in order to make sure I'm eating enough as with the new job the amount of calories doesn't seem enough, but I'm eating over my calorie allowance...I'd just like to plan my eating around the days I actually need to eat more and with an accurate number for calorie burned during different work days and of course calories expended during training too

Garmin watch so and myfitnesspal. There is a android/iphone app also. You can scan barcodes with it. It just keeps the focus.

How much weight have you lost and what is the goal weight ? What is your height also ?

* Nevermind . reading your blog you seem doing great.

rom wrote: »
    Garmin watch so and myfitnesspal. There is a android/iphone app also. You can scan barcodes with it. It just keeps the focus.

How much weight have you lost and what is the goal weight ? What is your height also ?

5ft 11" 75kg...I've lost around 26kg over 20 months...My target is 70kg

5ft 11" 75kg...I've lost around 26kg over 20 months...My target is 70kg

Same height and 72kg myself. Lost the same. Calorie counting is probably not what you want to do in the long term but improve the overall quality of your diet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hey all,

Are you talking about wearing a HRM all day to work out your calorie output? If so, your best bet would probably be to use a Polar non-GPS HRM watch, but even then, you'd be going through batteries at a significant rate (but would allow you to establish a base-line).

Are you concerned about the amount of calories you are burning during your job? Is it very physical activity?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Polar T31 HR is good for 1800hours of use.

The FT1 or FT4 will be ideal for the monitoring you are talking about.

Are you talking about wearing a HRM all day to work out your calorie output? If so, your best bet would probably be to use a Polar non-GPS HRM watch, but even then, you'd be going through batteries at a significant rate (but would allow you to establish a base-line).

Are you concerned about the amount of calories you are burning during your job? Is it very physical activity?

I'm just looking to wear it for a week to establish a baseline, the work can be quiet physically at times, moving stock, packing stock, up and down ladders and on my feet for 10 hours most days. I'd also like to use it to see how many calories I burn during my gym sessions...

My diet is on its way back to clean, after a few weeks of bad eating at times. I'd just like to see how many I'm burning so when I'm planning my dinners and lunches etc I'm getting enough and not leaving myself short and then finding myself starving and then bingeing on crap food

I'm just looking to wear it for a week to establish a baseline, the work can be quiet physically at times, moving stock, packing stock, up and down ladders and on my feet for 10 hours most days. I'd also like to use it to see how many calories I burn during my gym sessions...

My diet is on its way back to clean, after a few weeks of bad eating at times. I'd just like to see how many I'm burning so when I'm planning my dinners and lunches etc I'm getting enough and not leaving myself short and then finding myself starving and then bingeing on crap food
    Yep, the Polar is probably your best bet. Amphkingwest is the expert on all things Polar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Yep, the Polar is probably your best bet. Amphkingwest is the expert on all things Polar.

So what polar is best to buy ??

• Advertisement

So what polar is best to buy ??

Not being smart but it would depend on what you want it for?

Some units perfect for gym and circuit type workouts. Others suited to serious runners, others for cyclists and then there are a couple better suited to multisport athletes & weekend warriors.

Best start a new thread with an outline of what you are doing / want to do and achieve.

SO got a polar today...and guess what it doesn't seem to work, the watch seems to work fine but its not picking up my heart rate:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

SO got a polar today...and guess what it doesn't seem to work, the watch seems to work fine but its not picking up my heart rate:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

What model did you get?
    Did you dampen the contacts on the strap before putting it on your chest?

Edit: what model is the HR transmitter? T31 / H1 etc

What model did you get?
    Did you dampen the contacts on the strap before putting it on your chest?

Edit: what model is the HR transmitter? T31 / H1 etc

Polar FT4 and the Sensor is H1

Yes i did dampen the contacts on the strap

Polar FT4 and the Sensor is H1

Yes i did dampen the contacts on the strap

That should pick up straight away. When you position the strap and start the watch you should see '00' on the watch face. The '0' will be circling which indicate its searching for a heart rate strap.

They should speak to each other automatically, you don't pair them in the same manner that you might do other watches.

If you are still having problems it may be a battery problem in the H1. Although you shouldn't have to, it might be worth changing the battery, they are user replaceable and cost about €3.00. It might be cheaper and easier to try the battery replacement route rather than timeout going back to the shop.

FT4 used to be sold with the T31, H1 is the latest unit so you have a 'fresh' watch that hasn't been sitting on a shelf.

Just ensure the transmitter is clipped into the strap properly. See how you get on.

That should pick up straight away. When you position the strap and start the watch you should see '00' on the watch face. The '0' will be circling which indicate its searching for a heart rate strap.

They should speak to each other automatically, you don't pair them in the same manner that you might do other watches.

If you are still having problems it may be a battery problem in the H1. Although you shouldn't have to, it might be worth changing the battery, they are user replaceable and cost about €3.00. It might be cheaper and easier to try the battery replacement route rather than timeout going back to the shop.

FT4 used to be sold with the T31, H1 is the latest unit so you have a 'fresh' watch that hasn't been sitting on a shelf.

Just ensure the transmitter is clipped into the strap properly. See how you get on.

Cheers, now its telling me to "Check Heart Rate Transmitter"

Cheers, now its telling me to "Check Heart Rate Transmitter"

Transmitter is not sending a signal. Possibly a dud battery in the original unit. If the change of battery doesn't work you'll have to go back to the retailer.

Not a common fault, but it is first thing I would be checking.

Shop should replace it straight over the counter without any further hassle.

Think we need a mega-thread. ;)

Advertisement