Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumpy and Grumpy: A non runners C25K

Options
  • 10-05-2013 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Bio: 36yrs, 5ft 1in, 13st, female, casual smoker, casual drinker.

Basically I'm a lazy sod and have been all my life. Mea culpa :o Looking like a teletubbie and not being able to walk up my stairs without feeling sick has me trying to do something about my health once and for all. So my goal is to get my weight down to something in a healthy BMI range and get fit enough to run a full 5k.

Running seems to be where its at these days so here I am on a quest to do a C25K with a) giving up or b) dying.

I've done two sessions of Week 1 so far which makes me think I might just stick with this thing but I badly need support and motivation so a blog/training log, diary thingy is the way to go.

I feel a bit :eek: looking at all the logs for marathons etc but hey, we all gotta start somewhere right?

So far so good, the two sessions I have done so far have been tough but managable, I'm not really racing along yet, just plodding but its still running so I guess that stuff will improve in time. Right now I feel like a fool dragging my big ass around the park in a tracksuit but Mamma is going to look good, oh yes she is :cool:

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

From one lazy sod to another, fair play for starting! (I just started running this week too.)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Good luck with your log & new life as a runner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Well done for starting. Firstly I think you need to consider knocking the smokes on the head if you want to be able to do the programme successfully. I started C25k as a replacement for the fags and it worked a treat. It will be SO much harder if you want to jog and smoke. Even if it's only casual smoking.
    Target a race in about 10 weeks or whenever you hope to complete the programme. Sign up and pay for it now. It'll make you stick to it.
    Pick the 3 days a week you can run and try to stick as rigidly as possible to the days (having a break inbetween). Don't deviate from the plan. Run it to the letter.
    Forget about everyone else' pace/speed. Everyone has to start somewhere. Even the really fast guys on here started out slow enough (well most of them:))
    When you're running the intervals, forget about how fast you're doing them. If you're going too fast and finding it hard, slow down but don't walk. Slow down as much as you have to, to be able to complete the required time interval.
    I am a strong advocate of C25k for beginner runners. I was one in October 2011. I hated running and couldn't do it all. Was a big sweaty mess from running for 20 seconds! I stuck to the programme and within a few weeks got totally addicted. I run 6 days a week now and 35-40 miles a week and have done plenty of races and a few half marathons with a view to DCM this year. C25k was the best thing I've ever done. It's worked brilliantly for other people I know too. I'm far from fast either but these things bother you less once you're doing what you love and are enjoying it.
    So, to conclude, best of luck and I hope you get the bug, cause if you do, it's life-changing and bloody wonderful :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Im 39 and I started one a year and a bit ago when I quit smoking and it took me ages (2 knee surgeries and hadnt run in 20 years) but I completed it despite a few set backs along the way.

One thing that happened me quite early on in it was that my heart and lungs were ok, but I simply hadnt the strength in my legs! I remember one day after running for 8 minutes and when I stopped, my legs just crumpled under me!

Anyway, that was well over a year ago and these days my standard minimum run is 5k. I still find it hard work, but when I look back at how hard I used to find it - its nothing!

I notice all kinds of benefits, from not going into a wheezy fit from laughing too hard to being able to go up a flight of stairs without feeling like collapsing!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭LumpyOtoole

Thanks for all the feedback and kind words. And all the words of advice. Its great to hear that you were all me once, I sometimes talk myself down by assuming all those elite guys in the park were born with a pair of trainers. Its good to be reminded they all were here once too.

Ososlo, you're right re the smokes. I really do have to try and stop. Its only a very casual habit, it could be only about 5/6 cigs over a fortnight but I find where I could smoke them without and side effects before, now they are starting to make me feel sick. The joys of getting older :pac: But you have me sold, I want to be able to say all you posted a year from now.

I have my last run of the week in the morning so that means for the first Friday in nearly two years I'm not having my weekly half bottle of wine. Its already paying dividends. :)

Tomorrow will be my first daytime run having done my last two in the dark and I'm bricking it. I am about 3.5 to 4 st overweight so you can imagine what I look like running. :o I know deep down no one really cares but I am a bit nervous all the same.

It'll be great to say I have Week 1 under my belt though so I don't care if the world and its mother decide to go walking, I'm doing it.

• Advertisement

you have a great attitude;) it'll be no bother to you. I'm excited to see how you progress:)
    If you feel a bit self-conscious, maybe wear headphone to distract yourself from your surroundings or wear a cap or glasses or something so you don't feel so exposed. While not being overweight when i started running, I was very very self-conscious too so I understand your worries and i preferred to jog at nightime also. Just concentrate on your goal and you'll be grand. There are lots of other slow runners out and about these days of all shapes and sizes.

Enjoy tomorrow. Great to be able to tick off all the boxes from Week 1 :D
    Looking forward to hearing how you get on. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Good for you. I am a fairly novice runner, well slow jogger really, and we all had to start somewhere. Good luck with your training - don't worry about anyone else, relax and enjoy.

Christ you should have seen the hack of me when I started, sweaty, red, wheezy, limpy, self conscious - and that was only walking from the car to the running track :)

I wore a cap for ages, it helped a lot. And so what if you are overweight? Isnt that why you are trying to get running? You run and be happy and ignore everyone around you - at least you are UP and doing something!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

I am on the larger side as well and it doesn't bother me at all out jogging during the day. What matters is that you are out there trying!!! Beats being parked on the couch. Actually I get a lot of good comments from people I know that see me out saying fair play to ya while they are driving. Give it a lash and best of luck.

Ps, I am a 20 a day smoker and it's bloody tough going but I get around the route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 DavMar

Good luck with your log L, I had hoped to start this week too but have pulled a muscle in my back the last few days so haven't been able to do much. Like you I'm 2/3 stone overweight and very conscious of getting out there running. I'm also married to a seriously addicted marathon runner who graces these boards from time to time ( sometimes I think the more he runs the more chocolate I stuff myself with but that's a poor excuse!). Anyway I have bought new trainers and hopefully this time next week I'll be following your lead and hopefully we can get addicted to this running lark soon too!!! Best of luck and well done on your first week!

• Advertisement

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056143231&page=79

You guys starting or in the middle of C25k should really activate this thread again. It'd be really good for motivating each other and getting advice from others if you don't have your own log.
    sorry for the hijack Lumpy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Good luck with the running, and with the weight loss. I find running great for keeping my weight under control, not just because of the calories I burn but because I find myself naturally wanting to eat properly to fuel myself.

My last Week 1 run today done and dusted. :) The weather means that there aren't that many people out but there were a few dogs walkers about. Once I started running though I didn't really notice them and at this stage I don't care if anyone does think I look amusing, the pay off will be worth it.

I'm looking forward to Week 2 now :D although the run today was still tough so I hope I'm ready for it.

Thank you so much for all your encouragement, I'm not getting much at home. I've turned over so many new leaves in the past I think everyone just assumes this is another thing I will get bored of in time but I feel my head is in the right place this time.

I'm looking forward to Week 2 now :D although the run today was still tough so I hope I'm ready for it.

I stretched the program and did each "week" of it until I was ready to move on. I had some knee problems along the way so it suited me to do that. Best of luck!

I wasn't too hopeful for tonight given how hard I found the last run of Week 1 but I got through it. Hallelujah!!

It was hard but I think I'm getting the idea now. Its never going to be easy is it? It's always going to be just hard enough to keep me on my toes.

In other news I joined a slimming group last Monday and on my weigh in today I was chuffed to see I've lost 6lbs :o And I haven't had a cigarette since Thursday morning. Ososlo you would be very proud of me, I read your advice about kicking the demon fags and decided to give it a go.

I'm like an angry cat at the moment with the withdrawls but hopefully a slightly healthier cat than this time last week :)

You're doing great! Another run ticked off. Hope you're starting to enjoy it.
    There is a saying, "it never gets easy, you just get faster";) I think it does get easier in some ways though. The more you run the more confidence you gain and that part certainly gets easier.
    Fantastic weight loss!
    You'll feel less and less like smoking the more you run. Drink lots of water when you get the cravings. It's good to be well hydrated for your running too.
    Start looking at a 5k race to target in about 9/10 weeks time too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 DavMar

Excellent progress, congrats on the weight loss!

Thank you. I feel so much better than I did a week ago, so much energy, I'm like a dynamo.

I've signed up for the Parkrun, one is quite close to where I live and its free. Its on every week so it means I have a bit a leeway if I need to repeat a week.

Parkrun is a fantastic idea

The second of the week 2 runs and I decided to mix it up a bit by throwing in a few inclines and grass. So much for grass being kinder on the legs :eek: The inclines were small but softly softly catchee monkey, I've my eye on a few hills of Everest proportions that I want to work my way up to.

Was a good run if there is such a thing, I think I might be starting to enjoy this :)

I'm a week off the smokes today, missing them more than junk food or alcohol :o but I do think knocking it on the head has really helped my stamina so I am determined not to lapse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Well done, you are making great progress. I'm off the fags 5 years and to be honest, it was the best thing I ever did. The weekly weight loss was brilliant, keep tipping away and you'll get there.

Another week over and I'm pleased to say I can see some improvement on my stamina compared to this time last week when I was huffing and puffing and generally feeling like I had been hit by a train or something. Tonight wasn't easy but it was easier and I think I'm starting to find my feet and get into my stride.

And *whispers* I'm starting to enjoy it :o

Hard to believe its nearly the start of Week 3 already. :)

Onwards to Week 3 with a 3 min run :eek: But the nice man on the phone tells me I am well able for it so I put my trust in him and hope he is right.

Yes he was, I did struggle BIG TIME but managed to complete the run despite aching legs. But its still so hard and recovery after a run is taking longer - a lot longer. My legs were still in pain when I went to bed last night.

I'm not really looking forward to the next run.

:) : I know now that I can do it

BUT

:( : I know how hard its going to be.

Its going to be a battle to force myself out the door because I can hear the old me starting to make the usual excuses but I'm not going to fall back into those old habits.

As much as I hated last night while I was out there I felt pretty good when I was at home and I like that post run buzz I

My legs were still in pain when I went to bed last night.

Make sure you do plenty of pre and post stretching. I used to get the most awful burning in my calves when I started - compression socks helped, but stretching helped more.

Make sure you do plenty of pre and post stretching. I used to get the most awful burning in my calves when I started - compression socks helped, but stretching helped more.

I hadn't been doing any at all :o I know, I know, its asking for trouble.

Well, I took some time before I went out last night to do a proper warm up routine of about 10 mins and it was worth it because my legs both during and post run were fine. I won't ignore it again!

Great run last night, first time I can honestly say I really enjoyed it :) Maybe it was the fact I was up to ninety with screaming kids and pets yesterday but I felt if I didn't get out I would go mad. But it really cleared my head and made me feel calmer and more together. I'm sleeping so much better now too, my weight is down over half a stone now and I can really notice and feel the difference which just keeps pushing me forward and I'm not missing the cigarettes as much as I thought I would - over the worst of the cravings anyway.

So, yeah, feeling very positive :)

great progress! fantastic to hear you're enjoying it. careful not to stretch cold muscles too much as it could lead to injury but everyone's different i guess. i used to find a fast walk warmed me up nicely. you're doing great! major kudos for staying off the fags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

really glad I came across this thread, i'm on week 4 - finishing it tonight. I'm 38, slightly over weight and off the smokes for two years. I just want to get a bit fitter and healthier. So far so good but week 4 has been tough - I found 1-3 easy enough. Looking ahead to week 5 is scaring me :eek:.

im determined to keep going though. Ive been doing it on the treadmill at the gym as i found paying my gym subscription is keeping me motivated - that and lving in a small towm where everyone knows me made me way to embarrassed to start on the roads.

keep going OP, if i can do it anyone can!

Ososlo wrote: »
    major kudos for staying off the fags.

I think that's the bit I'm most proud of, I've tried before countless times and never felt as good about it as I do now. I don't want to jinx it by saying I think I'm off them for the long haul but I really do feel a massive shift in my mind set and my attitude towards them so fingers crossed.

really glad I came across this thread, i'm on week 4 - finishing it tonight. I'm 38, slightly over weight and off the smokes for two years. I just want to get a bit fitter and healthier. So far so good but week 4 has been tough - I found 1-3 easy enough. Looking ahead to week 5 is scaring me :eek:.

im determined to keep going though. Ive been doing it on the treadmill at the gym as i found paying my gym subscription is keeping me motivated - that and lving in a small towm where everyone knows me made me way to embarrassed to start on the roads.

keep going OP, if i can do it anyone can!

Thank you for posting, its always really encouraging to hear from other former couch potatoes like me who are doing it. I have had a look at the rest of the plan and :eek: It's going to be a challange alright but it no longer feels impossible. Well I say that now, come back to me in a few weeks when I'm trying to run for 20 mins without a break :D

Keep up the good work and looking forward to hearing how you find the rest of the weeks

• Advertisement

the more you get into your running the less you'll want to smoke as if you want to keep improving you'll do everything in your power to make that happen. smoking will make you slower and will hinder your endurance. it's just my opinion btw! i traded one addiction for a far healthier one and while i did enjoy all those years of smoking and everything that went with it, i enjoy running a billiontrillion times more and my life is by far a much happier one.you've a great mindset now. fantastic:-) im excited for you! sometimes i really feel that those of us who discover running in adulthood are really lucky people.

Advertisement