Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumpy and Grumpy: A non runners C25K

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 godders

God Lumpy, i'm nearly identical to you. Im 31, 5ft 1in and was 13st 7lb :eek: and was a total lazy cow. Started the C25K and did wk3 day3 last night and I couldn't believe how far i've come since day 1 i'm not quite the red faced huffing, puffing mess I was, now i'm still not pretty either but it's an improvement!!
    Down 9lbs so far, so i'm delighted!
    Now just to keep this positive frame of mind and keep going :)

Well done you on the fags it's a tough habit to break!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Thank you for posting, its always really encouraging to hear from other former couch potatoes like me who are doing it. I have had a look at the rest of the plan and :eek: It's going to be a challange alright but it no longer feels impossible. Well I say that now, come back to me in a few weeks when I'm trying to run for 20 mins without a break :D

Keep up the good work and looking forward to hearing how you find the rest of the weeks

I will - I looked at week 4 last week and though - omg I'll never do that - but I did - im determined to keep going even if I have to repeat weeks - ill let you know how I get on - best of luck to you as well :)

godders wrote: »
    God Lumpy, i'm nearly identical to you. Im 31, 5ft 1in and was 13st 7lb :eek: and was a total lazy cow. Started the C25K and did wk3 day3 last night and I couldn't believe how far i've come since day 1 i'm not quite the red faced huffing, puffing mess I was, now i'm still not pretty either but it's an improvement!!
    Down 9lbs so far, so i'm delighted!
    Now just to keep this positive frame of mind and keep going :)

Well done you on the fags it's a tough habit to break!

fair play to you - i have yet to drop a pound :( but I have have stabilised and I know my diet needs some attention which is my next job.

Yeah my diet was shocking to be honest, so after trying all diets etc under the sun i'm finally in the right headspace to do this. I don't think i've ever been this determined, i'm just plain and simple sick of being fat.
    Cut out all white starchy carbs and takeaways and just moving more seems to be doing the trick anyways.

I know what you mean about viewing the week ahead and thinking 'jeebus i'll never do that', like this week jogging for 3 mins but you do surprise yourself.

We'll all be fit as a fiddle in no time!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭LumpyOtoole

Another week down and feeling really good. Hard to believe I've stuck with it for three weeks, that's a bit of a record for me when it comes to fitness :D

The only issue is my breathing, my stamina feels fine and my legs feel they can keep going beyond the 3 mins but I don't seem to able to get enough air into me. I'm gasping. It could be a side effect of the smoking and hopefully it will improve. Right now I don't see how I can attempt any kind of long run without being able to manage my breathing properly.

I hope everyone is doing great, keep up the good work guys !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

This used to happen to me as well. I think its down to building up stamina/fitness. Its only recently that I can run 5k without thinking I'm dying! It does get easier, really, but it won't happen this week, or next. Its a case of putting the miles in the legs, week after week and without you even realising it, you go faster and longer.

I would seriously recommend joining a Meet & Train group, if you haven't already. They are a great source of information and do spur you on. Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Yeah it happened me too. It takes a while to get aerobic fitness. Just keep at it. As an ex smoker also I can agree that part if it is probably from smoking. It does get better.

Thank you Username123 and AK333, glad to know its normal :)

AK333 what's a Meet and Train group? Is that like a running club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Thank you Username123 and AK333, glad to know its normal :)

AK333 what's a Meet and Train group? Is that like a running club?

Yep that's exactly what is it - some athletic clubs run them - we have a women only group (men only group run later) - I'm just in the door from doing hill runs :( but its great fun. There might be someone on Boards from your area that will be able to point you in the right direction. We have five groups at our training from marathon runners to walkers/joggers. You run at your pace within your group, its very social and absolutely no pressure :) and plenty of encouragement. I also run 2 to 3 times a week with some of the girls, as some of us are in training for a HM in August in Clonmel - which would be a huge achievement for me as I've only just run 10k without stopping and now I'm looking at doubling that distance! Try it, it might work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mrs Docjewel

Hi L, haven't been online all week but am delighted with how well you're doing in such a short time. You're an inspiration! I had a back injury the last few weeks but started the couch25k myself yesterday. It went well in that I was able to finish it, in fact I actually did two extra 1 min jogs because I hadnt pressed start on app on phone which was strapped to my arm and when i realised it I pressed pause etc etc, it was all very distracting!!! Tomorrow I will be so much more organised. My thighs were a bit stiff today but have a marathon expert here who sorted me out!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Enjoying reading this thread, am 35, female and about 1.5 stone overweight. I started the Couch25k last year but only got about a week and a half into it before the winter and dark mornings set in and I stopped. I really want to do it this summer.
    I did a one hour walk on Sunday morning followed by a fair bit of wandering round the city in the afternoon and am a bit stiff :eek: so I definitely need to get started!

ok so I finished week 4 on friday and started week 5 yesterday. im using the 5k runner app - i realise now some of the programmes differ.

I had visitors at the weekend and we drank way too much. i dieD on sunday and didnt feel a whole lot better yesterday. was so annoyed with myself. finally got motivated to head to the gym at 4pm. i figured id give it a go and if i didnt finish, id just try again the next visit.

delighted i went as i finished it and it was ok - yesterday was 5w, 5r, 3w, 6r, 3w, 5r, 5w. tomorrow i'll be up to 8 minute runs. its a steep change now the next week or two but im determined. no more alcohol til i finish the programme thats for sure!

AK333 wrote: »
    Yep that's exactly what is it - some athletic clubs run them - we have a women only group (men only group run later) - I'm just in the door from doing hill runs :( but its great fun. There might be someone on Boards from your area that will be able to point you in the right direction. We have five groups at our training from marathon runners to walkers/joggers. You run at your pace within your group, its very social and absolutely no pressure :) and plenty of encouragement. I also run 2 to 3 times a week with some of the girls, as some of us are in training for a HM in August in Clonmel - which would be a huge achievement for me as I've only just run 10k without stopping and now I'm looking at doubling that distance! Try it, it might work for you.

Thanks for that, I will check that out. I think there are a few clubs in my area but I never would have even considered them. I always thought they catered just for the hardcore "proper" runners :) If there is something for beginners that would be right up my street. That kind of motivation and social aspect would be a huge help.

ok so I finished week 4 on friday and started week 5 yesterday. im using the 5k runner app - i realise now some of the programmes differ.

I had visitors at the weekend and we drank way too much. i dieD on sunday and didnt feel a whole lot better yesterday. was so annoyed with myself. finally got motivated to head to the gym at 4pm. i figured id give it a go and if i didnt finish, id just try again the next visit.

delighted i went as i finished it and it was ok - yesterday was 5w, 5r, 3w, 6r, 3w, 5r, 5w. tomorrow i'll be up to 8 minute runs. its a steep change now the next week or two but im determined. no more alcohol til i finish the programme thats for sure!

I had one - large - glass of wine on Saturday. My first drink since I started this plan and oh boy did I feel it when I got up on Sunday. I didn't even enjoy it that much, what's the matter with me? :D My brother does a lot of cycling and has cut out alcohol completely, I thought it was a bit much but I can kinda see why now.

You are just flying, I'm already having kittens at the thought of a 5min run tonight. Its amazing though how quickly your body adapts.

miamee wrote: »
    Enjoying reading this thread, am 35, female and about 1.5 stone overweight. I started the Couch25k last year but only got about a week and a half into it before the winter and dark mornings set in and I stopped. I really want to do it this summer.
    I did a one hour walk on Sunday morning followed by a fair bit of wandering round the city in the afternoon and am a bit stiff :eek: so I definitely need to get started!

If I can do it anyone can. I know everyone says that but really in my case its true. I'm 36, I've done no exercise in the last 15 years unless you count dancing in nightclubs. I don't even walk to the shops. I was a smoker, heavy-ish drinker and was on first name basis with the lad who does delivery for the chinese :o

Or at least I didn't until I started this.

This was something I was just going to do for three days a week to lose a bit of weight and I am just a few weeks in so I have a looonnng way to go but I'm off the smokes, I'm eating fresh food for the first time in years, over half a stone down and I'm even finding excuses to get out and do stuff on my non running days. I already feel like a new woman, I can't wait to see how I feel 6 weeks from now when I finish.

Give it a go and you'll lose that weight in no time.

Hi L, haven't been online all week but am delighted with how well you're doing in such a short time. You're an inspiration! I had a back injury the last few weeks but started the couch25k myself yesterday. It went well in that I was able to finish it, in fact I actually did two extra 1 min jogs because I hadnt pressed start on app on phone which was strapped to my arm and when i realised it I pressed pause etc etc, it was all very distracting!!! Tomorrow I will be so much more organised. My thighs were a bit stiff today but have a marathon expert here who sorted me out!

Ah, thanks :o I'm delighted to see so many people like me doing this. And with a back injury - ouch!! The warm ups I'm doing are really helping my legs but I do feel a bit stiff in the mornings after a run especially in my ankles but its getting better.

I'm actually really looking forward to my first Week 4 run tonight. I know the weather is going to be brutal up here this evening but I can't get out sooner and sure so what? I'm keen to give it a go and see how I get on with it and nothing short of a typhoon is keeping me in :D

I had one - large - glass of wine on Saturday. My first drink since I started this plan and oh boy did I feel it when I got up on Sunday. I didn't even enjoy it that much, what's the matter with me? :D My brother does a lot of cycling and has cut out alcohol completely, I thought it was a bit much but I can kinda see why now.

You are just flying, I'm already having kittens at the thought of a 5min run tonight. Its amazing though how quickly your body adapts.

you'll be fine, just stay going! im surprising myself everyday. thinking about cutting the alcohol completely myself - i didnt enjoy it at the weekend and its taking me longer and longer to bounce back after a hangover.

Ah, thanks :o I'm delighted to see so many people like me doing this. And with a back injury - ouch!! The warm ups I'm doing are really helping my legs but I do feel a bit stiff in the mornings after a run especially in my ankles but its getting better.

I'm actually really looking forward to my first Week 4 run tonight. I know the weather is going to be brutal up here this evening but I can't get out sooner and sure so what? I'm keen to give it a go and see how I get on with it and nothing short of a typhoon is keeping me in :D

That's great, I went for a walk/jog with my OH awhile back in freezing rain and I loved it. I'm just back from day 2 and was very surprised at how well it went. My friend came with me this morning and it was over before we realised it, I can't wait to get out again and coming on boards is definitely the extra push I need!

I'm on week 4 at the mo (did day 2 last night) I panicked a little when I saw I had to job for 5 mins but was shocked that I managed it, now don't get me wrong it bloody hurt but the sense of accomplishment is unreal.
    So best of luck tonight, hopw it all goes well :)

Fair play to you on the attitude, I think thats half the battle to be honest as you know yourself once you start making excuses it normally goes to pot!!

A later start to the week than I'd hoped but between one thing and another today was my first day I could get out.

Well, Week 4, my goodness, what a difference to week 3. The actual running time has almost doubled, I thought I had somehow jumped forward a week but no, there really are two sets of 3 and 5 mins runs.

The first five mins was actually alright, I slowed right down and focused on just surviving it than working on speed or form. The second five mins was endless and I nearly gave up but I kept going until the nice man put me out of my misery.

The 3 mins I had so much trouble with last week seemed a piece of cake today, gas isn't it.

I'm now feeling well and truly wrecked but delighted with myself. This is the week I thought I would give up this crazy idea. Finishing today was a big confidence boost.

Here's hoping day 2 will be marginally easier.

• Advertisement

A later start to the week than I'd hoped but between one thing and another today was my first day I could get out.

Well, Week 4, my goodness, what a difference to week 3. The actual running time has almost doubled, I thought I had somehow jumped forward a week but no, there really are two sets of 3 and 5 mins runs.

The first five mins was actually alright, I slowed right down and focused on just surviving it than working on speed or form. The second five mins was endless and I nearly gave up but I kept going until the nice man put me out of my misery.

The 3 mins I had so much trouble with last week seemed a piece of cake today, gas isn't it.

I'm now feeling well and truly wrecked but delighted with myself. This is the week I thought I would give up this crazy idea. Finishing today was a big confidence boost.

Here's hoping day 2 will be marginally easier.

Well done! I went out bright and early this morning, The legs felt very heavy at the start and I did think to myself for a split second that if I went back to the car no one would be any the wiser. But, kept going and found the further I ran the easier it got. Weird!

Today should be a rest day after last night but I was home so decided to make the most of it and do the second run of Week 4 today. I want to try and keep to the plan as best I can. I'm either dedicated or mad, maybe a bit of both :)

Its my first time running during the day, I tend to get out in the evenings once the small people are in bed and the husband is back home from work. It was hard going, probably a combination of the humidity and tired legs from last night but I somehow got through it. Ditched the nice man on the podcast today for a stopwatch and some of my own music. Its the little things that make it more bearable.

I'm really chuffed I've done it now, probably I should have been resting today but I've made up for the bad start to the week and on track to finish week 4 on Sunday.

I hope everyone else is getting there.

did day 2 of week 5 on wednesday - 5w, 5r, 3w, 8r, 5w, 5r, 5w.

i did but i was fairly wrecked after the 8 min run. I was so pleased with myself but i opened a bottle of wine when i got home (raging with myself but todays another day).

Im finishing week 5 tonight and its 5w, 8r, 5w, 8r, 5w - i really hope i can do it.

week 6 looks terrifying but i've said that every week so far and im still going. have a good weekend everyone :)

Week 4 done. It was Hard. I didn't feel any improvement on Day 1 and its got me to thinking maybe I should repeat Week 4 but I think I will give Day 1 of Week 5 a go and see how I manage with that.

As I mentioned on the C25K thread my speed - or lackof - is starting to worry me. I did today on a circular track in the local park that has distance markers and I reckon I only covered about 1.7k in the 20 odd minutes. Its doubtful I will be doing a full 5k by the end of week 9. I hope that's normal :confused:

I really just want to be able to say I can run a full 5k without stopping even if it takes me an hour, but 5k in 20 minutes by week 9? Pfftt, I don't think so.

I did end the day on a good note though. I was out at the RDS with a friend picking up her registration for the Mini Marathon and was having a look around and ended up putting myself in for a 5k race at the end of August :o It feels like its the right thing to do to give me that extra push over the summer, I know I will be more likely to stick to regular runs and a healthy lifestyle if I have something I've paid for to aim towards.

Hi Lumpy, I'd say this is to be expected at this stage. I keep remembering what Pageant Messiah said over on the couch25k thread a couple of weeks ago, just concentrate on trying to eventually run for 30 mins. I think if we eventually get to this stage then over time our pace will increase. Don't let it get you down, you've come so far already and if you have to repeat a few runs so what, you'll be all the better for it in the long run!:D

so i finished week 5 on friday - 5w, 8r, 5w, 8r, 5w. it was very very tough but I did it.

started week 6 yesterday, headed to gym at 1.30 but didnt realise it was closing at 2pm. figured i would get through the run and could just cool down at home. was due to run 5w, 10r, 5w, 10r, 5w.

i just couldnt do it. i managed an 8 minute run and had to stop, ended up going home then, didnt have time for a second wind. feeling a bit disheartened. im going to have another go this evening but week 6 looks like it might beat me. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

im going to have another go this evening but week 6 looks like it might beat me. :(

No. Week 6 will not beat you! If its too much right now, just repeat Week 5 and then move on when you are ready.

No. Week 6 will not beat you! If its too much right now, just repeat Week 5 and then move on when you are ready.

thank you. ive kinda shook myself now and told myself not to be so negative. if i can do two 8 minute runs, its not that big a push to do two 10 minute runs. i'll report back tomw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Hi folks!
    Im 25yr old female, 5ft 3in, roughly 10stone. Honestly have never run in my life, have bad knees from years of dance and gymnastics but I've steady put on about 3 stone over the last two years. Now Im just disgusted with myself and wanna do something about it. Making better diet choices, started the 30day shred today and am starting c25k this evening. I have the double run app on my phone ready to go! Im friggin terrified though.. Like when you're running do you fully pelt run as fast as you can? I've never ran or even jogged before, just wanna start it out right! Il be sticking to this thread with gusto anyway, the motivation is great!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Hi folks!
    Im 25yr old female, 5ft 3in, roughly 10stone. Honestly have never run in my life, have bad knees from years of dance and gymnastics but I've steady put on about 3 stone over the last two years. Now Im just disgusted with myself and wanna do something about it. Making better diet choices, started the 30day shred today and am starting c25k this evening. I have the double run app on my phone ready to go! Im friggin terrified though.. Like when you're running do you fully pelt run as fast as you can? I've never ran or even jogged before, just wanna start it out right! Il be sticking to this thread with gusto anyway, the motivation is great!

No, no, no, no, no! If you do that, you'll exhaust yourself and come home and never step foot outside the door in a pair of runners again. :)

Run at a slow pace, and then run even slower. If you're having trouble breathing, slow down again. The goal is to get you running for a certain amount of time - distance doesn't even come into it yet. And while it might not feel like you're doing much if you're going slow, your legs are strengthening all the time which will help you build a base to do the rest of the sessions.

Advertisement