Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumpy and Grumpy: A non runners C25K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭LumpyOtoole

Well yesterday was a very interesting day. :)

I ended up doing the Mini Marathon after one of the girls my sister was doing it with dropped out. It was all very spur of the moment but I had a "what the hell" moment and just went for it.

I was planning on doing my Day 1 of Week 5 yesterday anyway so I just incorporated it into the walk. It was probably the easiest run so far believe it or not, I think the atmosphere and the goodwill made it easier and I was really surprised to get through it alright.

The walk was what nearly killed me :D By about 7k my legs were in bits but we got there in the end. Its the first time I have ever done any kind of organsied sporting event and it has really inspired me to keep going and the aim is to do it next year as a runner. I met a good few women who ran it who hadn't done a tap this time last year so its doable.

So today is a much deserved rest day but honestly I feel okay. My ankles were very tired and sore this morning but everything feels normal enough now.

So I'm about halfway through the C25K now and its just flown by. I can really see now how I've come along the last four and a bit weeks. I'm very excited to see what the next four and a bit throw at me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mrs Docjewel

Amazing the difference a couple of days makes.:P well done!!

Hi folks!
    Im 25yr old female, 5ft 3in, roughly 10stone. Honestly have never run in my life, have bad knees from years of dance and gymnastics but I've steady put on about 3 stone over the last two years. Now Im just disgusted with myself and wanna do something about it. Making better diet choices, started the 30day shred today and am starting c25k this evening. I have the double run app on my phone ready to go! Im friggin terrified though.. Like when you're running do you fully pelt run as fast as you can? I've never ran or even jogged before, just wanna start it out right! Il be sticking to this thread with gusto anyway, the motivation is great!

I am very slow, power walkers are overtaking me all the time :D, even an elderly couple went past me the other day :eek: but I'm learning to just accept that now and just concentrate on myself and not what everyone else is doing.

It is hard at times not to push myself but I think pacing yourself in a way that gets you through it is important. Its a great feeling to complete a day and even if you're slow it doesn't take away from the fact you were running all that time.

My speed hasn't changed since Day 1 but I'm learning that's not really important. I'm aiming just to get to the end and then work on building up to a full 5k.

I heard a great quote yesterday "it doesn't matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop" and I'm adopting that as my mantra :D

Like you I was about 3st too heavy when I started, I've lost about 10lbs since I began just over a month ago and it really does helps with endurance. You'll get there, if I can get to week 5 anyone can ! Looking forward to hearing on your progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I am very slow, power walkers are overtaking me all the time :D, even an elderly couple went past me the other day :eek: but I'm learning to just accept that now and just concentrate on myself and not what everyone else is doing.

It is hard at times not to push myself but I think pacing yourself in a way that gets you through it is important. Its a great feeling to complete a day and even if you're slow it doesn't take away from the fact you were running all that time.

My speed hasn't changed since Day 1 but I'm learning that's not really important. I'm aiming just to get to the end and then work on building up to a full 5k.

I heard a great quote yesterday "it doesn't matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop" and I'm adopting that as my mantra :D

Like you I was about 3st too heavy when I started, I've lost about 10lbs since I began just over a month ago and it really does helps with endurance. You'll get there, if I can get to week 5 anyone can ! Looking forward to hearing on your progress.

wow:eek:
    well done. You're doing brilliantly. Weeks are certainly flying by for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Just finished my first one! God it was hard.. I got a stitch twice and had to stop in the middle because I was beat, but I finished it! Had trouble with my pace too.. but I hope its something that will come to me with time.
    Im wile self conscious too, people must think Im not wise running and walking and running lol but hopefully ill get over that after a while too.
    Hard going boys, but I hope this was the hardest step!
    Yikes!I did it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mrs Docjewel

Just finished my first one! God it was hard.. I got a stitch twice and had to stop in the middle because I was beat, but I finished it! Had trouble with my pace too.. but I hope its something that will come to me with time.
    Im wile self conscious too, people must think Im not wise running and walking and running lol but hopefully ill get over that after a while too.
    Yikes!I did it!

Don't worry it does get easier, I'm a little over a week ahead of you and if you keep reminding yourself to slow down it helps. I was self conscious too but now I don't give a toss. Check out the couch25k thread. And well done!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I started it this morning! I woke up about 1hr and 15 mins before I needed to be up for work so I lay in bed trying to motivate myself to get up instead of lying there awake til the alarm. Got up and out - it was such a lovely morning. Ran around the park under the shade of trees mostly so it wasn't too warm. My legs feel a bit achey now but no pain, no gain :D

Thanks for the motivation on this thread, it's great! Weighed myself this morning after my run, heaviest ever so thank God I have started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

W6D1

well i did it! 5w, 10r, 5w, 10r, 5w. after mondays disaster i was dreading it but i just got on and did it. i had to slow down a bit - i normally keep the treadmill at 10k/ph but i had to slow it 8.5k/ph just to make sure i finished it. after all that it was actually grand!

tomw is 5w, 10, 3w, 10r, 5w. i think i can do that ok but saturday im up to 5w, 15r :eek:, 3w, 5r, 5w.

im going to stop worrying about how fast im going and concentrate on just keeping running until i finish the programme.

W6D1

well i did it! 5w, 10r, 5w, 10r, 5w. after mondays disaster i was dreading it but i just got on and did it. i had to slow down a bit - i normally keep the treadmill at 10k/ph but i had to slow it 8.5k/ph just to make sure i finished it. after all that it was actually grand!

tomw is 5w, 10, 3w, 10r, 5w. i think i can do that ok but saturday im up to 5w, 15r :eek:, 3w, 5r, 5w.

im going to stop worrying about how fast im going and concentrate on just keeping running until i finish the programme.

Fair play, that is a lot of running. Not long to go until you're finished.

miamee wrote: »
    I started it this morning! I woke up about 1hr and 15 mins before I needed to be up for work so I lay in bed trying to motivate myself to get up instead of lying there awake til the alarm. Got up and out - it was such a lovely morning. Ran around the park under the shade of trees mostly so it wasn't too warm. My legs feel a bit achey now but no pain, no gain :D

Thanks for the motivation on this thread, it's great! Weighed myself this morning after my run, heaviest ever so thank God I have started.

Well done, it will get easier. The first few are the worst and getting out is half the battle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Yikes!I did it!

Re The stitch, I found that drinking a glass of water before going out helped with stitches, I didn't eat before running either, I did all my runs early morning before breakfast.

Don't worry about pace its the duration of the run that really matters.

Congratulations on getting out there, it doesn't really get any harder, I found as the weeks went on I was just pushed to my limit each workout .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

On stitches. I still occasionally get them. Its to do with breathing, and how empty the stomach is (for me). I usually run on a mostly empty stomach, Ill have a few brazil nuts before I go if its first thing - thats it. And I try to sip my water, not gulp it. But overall I find that if I feel a stitch coming on, slow down, try to breathe more evenly and you can run through it and it goes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jc273

I read that when you feel a stitch coming on, you should try and match your exhalation to the foot hitting the ground on the opposite side of your body for a few breaths. It works for me anyway, give it a try.

jc273 wrote: »
    I read that when you feel a stitch coming on, you should try and match your exhalation to the foot hitting the ground on the opposite side of your body for a few breaths. It works for me anyway, give it a try.

I must try this, I only get them very occasionally now. Thanks for the tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Day two done!
    Had to pause it again in the middle today, but I suppose doing it in the heat didnt help lol
    Still takes it outta me, I dunno how after one more session il be moving up a level!
    Dead.com

Day two done!
    Had to pause it again in the middle today, but I suppose doing it in the heat didnt help lol
    Still takes it outta me, I dunno how after one more session il be moving up a level!
    Dead.com

Been there, keep positive. If you don't feel your ready to move onto the next week after the end of a week you just repeat the week you've already done until you do feel ready.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Been there, keep positive. If you don't feel your ready to move onto the next week after the end of a week you just repeat the week you've already done until you do feel ready.

+1

The longest single run so far today - 8 mins. A bit daunting but I tried to think of it more like a 5 min run with 3 tiny mins tacked on and it seemed to do the trick. I'm tired but I feel my body is adapting to the longer runs now and I feel better than I did in the early days.

I've only just realised the next run is the dreaded 20 mins non stop. Boy did that come round fast!

I'm sure I'm well able for it but mentally its a big jump from intervals to one big block of running. I know I'm going to be on cloud nine after it, there is something about not needing to walk that will make me feel I've crossed the line to be a 'proper' runner.

The longest single run so far today - 8 mins. A bit daunting but I tried to think of it more like a 5 min run with 3 tiny mins tacked on and it seemed to do the trick. I'm tired but I feel my body is adapting to the longer runs now and I feel better than I did in the early days.

I've only just realised the next run is the dreaded 20 mins non stop. Boy did that come round fast!

I'm sure I'm well able for it but mentally its a big jump from intervals to one big block of running. I know I'm going to be on cloud nine after it, there is something about not needing to walk that will make me feel I've crossed the line to be a 'proper' runner.

wow! that was quick! You know you can do it and remember the rule that if it's getting tough, slow right down but keep going. You know all this anyways. Not a bother on you. I remember my first 20 mins and the amazing sense of achievement after it. Can't wait to hear how you get on :D

Ososlo wrote: »
    I remember my first 20 mins and the amazing sense of achievement after it.

My first 20 mins, I finished, and both legs crumpled under me and I collapsed on the grass :)
    It was great!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

My first 20 mins, I finished, and both legs crumpled under me and I collapsed on the grass :)
    It was great!

I actually did a little leap in the air after mine, complete with a fist pump. I don't think anything since has beaten that milestone of running 20 minutes for the first time. It's the moment you really start to believe that you can be a runner.

vitani wrote: »
    I actually did a little leap in the air after mine, complete with a fist pump. I don't think anything since has beaten that milestone of running 20 minutes for the first time. It's the moment you really start to believe that you can be a runner.

I totally agree. Ive never had such a moment (from my prone position on the grass :)) either.

W6D2

completed it last night. 5w, 10r, 3w, 10r, 5w. i kept the treadmill at 8.5k this time and was a little more comfortable. I have short legs so believe me, i was still tipping along.

ill complete W6 on saturday which is 5w, 15r, 3w, 5r, 5w and then on to week 7 which is the 20 mins. feeling much more confident than i was at the start of the week!

just one thing - my left calf aches when running - could it be my technique, am i not drinking enough water? im stretching before and after and im not getting muscle stiffness the next days, its only during the run.

Two weeks before my first 20 min I copped it in the plan and just laughed at the prospect of having to run non stop for 20 mins, I just couldn't see myself being able to do that. But I did and that week was the week I knew that I was going to successfully complete the program.

Being mentally prepared for the workout was a key factor for me, I struggled some of of the days I just went at it but when I was focused in my mind on route and what i was to do I found it easier, I was still dead after the runs but could always push through when I needed to.

You'll feel fantastic when you finish the first 20 min, I just laughed and pumped the air on mine.

Good luck with it, I look forward to reading about it here.

Ososlo wrote: »
    wow! that was quick! You know you can do it and remember the rule that if it's getting tough, slow right down but keep going. You know all this anyways. Not a bother on you. I remember my first 20 mins and the amazing sense of achievement after it. Can't wait to hear how you get on :D
    It was great!
    vitani wrote: »
    I totally agree. Ive never had such a moment (from my prone position on the grass :)) either.
    The Muppet wrote: »
    Two weeks before my first 20 min I copped it in the plan and just laughed at the prospect of having to run non stop for 20 mins, I just couldn't see myself being able to do that. But I did and that week was the week I knew that I was going to successfully complete the program.

Being mentally prepared for the workout was a key factor for me, I struggled some of of the days I just went at it but when I was focused in my mind on route and what i was to do I found it easier, I was still dead after the runs but could always push through when I needed to.

You'll feel fantastic when you finish the first 20 min, I just laughed and pumped the air on mine.

Good luck with it, I look forward to reading about it here.

I'll be doing all of the above and a happy dance when I'm done, I cannot wait for that moment when its over and I know I've done it. Mentally its a huge thing to do a big run without a break, looking at other C25K logs it seems to be a big watershed moment and the start of a new phase so I can't wait to get to the other side.

I'm being as kind to myself as possible, I'll be waiting until evening when I don't have that extreme heat to deal with and I'm going to stick to a flat surface. I just want to get through it. Once I do that I can work on pushing myself.

^^^^^^^

best of luck, you'll be grand. looks like we're using slightly different programmes, i'll finish week six tomorrow and its 5w, 15r, 3w, 5r, 5w. im using the 5k runner app for iphone.

weeks 7 starts with 5w, 20r, 5w; repeat on day 2 and then day 3 is 5w, 25r, 5w.

that means my first 20min run will be on monday; i'll check back in then ;)

Disaster.

I got to 11 and a half minutes before I had to stop and throw up!!

I don't know what went wrong. I think it was a combination of the heat and going out about half an hour after a spicy lunch without water.

I was going to go out tonight after sundown but my enthusiasm got the better of me. Still, its a lesson in patience and with better preparation I think I'm good for the remainder.

Going to do it over tomorrow night with hopefully a more positive outcome.

Disaster.

I got to 11 and a half minutes before I had to stop and throw up!!

I don't know what went wrong. I think it was a combination of the heat and going out about half an hour after a spicy lunch without water.

I was going to go out tonight after sundown but my enthusiasm got the better of me. Still, its a lesson in patience and with better preparation I think I'm good for the remainder.

Going to do it over tomorrow night with hopefully a more positive outcome.

don't worry about it. The heat does funny things to us and along with the food it wasn't the best circumstances to take on this run. I think you're better off waiting until tomorrow or even the next day. It's to be a lot cooler on Monday or try very early tomorrow or late in the evening. Don't forget to drink loads of water a few hours before it too. Dehydration will make it even harder. Btw, well done on the 11+ mins! That's no mean feat at this stage in the programme with that heat. Stay positive and you'll do great next attempt.

I have redeemed myself. I went out early this morning and told myself I wasn't going home until it was done. I got to about 13 mins before having a "how much longer" moment but I just focused on the minutes left going down one by one and I did it!!!! Happy dances galore, the dog walkers must have thought I was nuts but I didn't care.

I can't quite believe it. According to my pedometer I did just over 2.5k. I never would have thought that possible just a few weeks ago. It's really made me see that the biggest change has to be mental. Our bodies can do a lot more than we give them credit for. It's put a new fire in my belly and given me a lot more self belief. Week 6 can't come quick enough.

• Advertisement

Well done, good to see you didn't let last nights little setback knock you.

I was out for a run last nigh and found it tough going too. Like yourself I think I ran too soon after eating and I'm not great with the heat at the best of times.

Advertisement