Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumpy and Grumpy: A non runners C25K

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭LumpyOtoole

Back to intervals - yay!! Because the weather was a bit cooler I went back to my normal running on streets which meant a few inclines. It was okay, the middle 8 min run was quite tough because most of it was uphill but I managed. Overall it was a great run and after mapping the route I am just shy of 3k which is a great improvement on my distance.

I hope everyone else is doing alright and keeping it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

well done! i finished week 6 on saturday with a 5w, 15r, 3w, 5r, 5w. it was actually grand - i was in the gym (had it to myself in that weather!) and it was nice and cool which helped.

yesterday was week 7, day 1 and was the 5w, 20r, 5w - cant believe I did it - the last 3 minutes were really really hard but I focused on the song on the radio and just kept telling myself to run til the end of it. I clocked just shy of 3K (but i had no inclines like you).

tomorrow is a repeat of yesterday and then on friday I'm up to a 25 minute run. cant believe im nearly there!

well done! i finished week 6 on saturday with a 5w, 15r, 3w, 5r, 5w. it was actually grand - i was in the gym (had it to myself in that weather!) and it was nice and cool which helped.

yesterday was week 7, day 1 and was the 5w, 20r, 5w - cant believe I did it - the last 3 minutes were really really hard but I focused on the song on the radio and just kept telling myself to run til the end of it. I clocked just shy of 3K (but i had no inclines like you).

tomorrow is a repeat of yesterday and then on friday I'm up to a 25 minute run. cant believe im nearly there!

Well done, have you made any plans for what you're going to do post C25K?

Day 2 of Week 6 was fine, another 20 min run but at least there was a walking interval halfway though and I do love those intervals. :D

My legs felt really tired even with 2 rest days so I kept it nice and slow, stuck to a level course and didn't try and out do myself.

I'm starting to really enjoy running, already I can feel myself getting excited when its time to go out. Its done wonders for my stress levels too, nothing like a run to clear your head.

Hope everyone is trucking along and doing okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mrs Docjewel

There's a coincidence, I had just logged on to see where you're at! I haven't been out all week, was in London last weekend and came back to gastro bug in our house. At this stage I have major cabin fever and I'm almost dreaming of getting out for a walk/run!!!! (never thought I'd say that!). Anyway I hope to get out at some stage over the weekend in between work and kids etc. I think I'll have to repeat week two at this stage though, I'm just too wasted to head in to week 3 after the week I've had.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Did W2D1 before work this morning, so I am further already than I got the last time round (I repeated Week 1 twice and then stopped). I did all of the 6 runs (:D), though by run 4 I was thinking I might not finish them. But I did it :D

I was actually looking forward to getting out which is great. Hopefully the nice weather keeps up for a while until I get really addicted and don't mind the rain :pac: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

miamee wrote: »
    Did W2D1 before work this morning, so I am further already than I got the last time round (I repeated Week 1 twice and then stopped). I did all of the 6 runs (:D), though by run 4 I was thinking I might not finish them. But I did it :D

I was actually looking forward to getting out which is great. Hopefully the nice weather keeps up for a while until I get really addicted and don't mind the rain :pac: :pac:

Light rain can be very welcome as the runs get longer.

A full on 25 min run with no intervals...I barely managed 3 :(

My own fault and to be expected really. I was at a wedding on Saturday, an event that's been on the cards for months now and one I decided to use as my "reward" for all my hard work. I was going to go and eat the food and have my few drinks and not obsess too much about it seeing as its the only big day out we have this year.

Of course I went waaay OTT and ate junk, drank like a fish and even smoked :o so yesterday I wasn't in the best mental and physical state to move far from the sofa let alone tackle a run.

Very annoyed with myself but on the bright side I think any lingering affection I had for smoking is gone. It just made me feel like crap and I don't think I will ever want to go back there again.

I'm going to try and redo the run tonight, still feeling a bit delicate but I'm going to give it a go and see how I get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Best of luck. I find that drinking plenty of water before a run always helps.

I know what you mean about smoking. I gave up just over three years ago, but have had the occasional cigarette on nights out since. It always leaves me feeling disgusting afterwards and I think sometimes you need to feel like that to remind yourself why you gave up in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Of course I went waaay OTT and ate junk, drank like a fish and even smoked :o so yesterday I wasn't in the best mental and physical state to move far from the sofa let alone tackle a run.

I think most of us new runners underestimate the importance of being mentally prepared for a run, I know I certainly did when i started out and I was surprised the difference being mentally prepared made. Now i find I spend the days between runs planning routes etc for my next one.

The best of luck when you go at it again, go easy and you'll get there.

A full on 25 min run with no intervals...I barely managed 3 :(

My own fault and to be expected really. I was at a wedding on Saturday, an event that's been on the cards for months now and one I decided to use as my "reward" for all my hard work. I was going to go and eat the food and have my few drinks and not obsess too much about it seeing as its the only big day out we have this year.

Very annoyed with myself but on the bright side I think any lingering affection I had for smoking is gone. It just made me feel like crap and I don't think I will ever want to go back there again.

I'm going to try and redo the run tonight, still feeling a bit delicate but I'm going to give it a go and see how I get on.

where was your wedding? I was at one too! still wrecked today! I had my 25 min run on Friday, I did it but it was tough.

I'm due to run 28 minutes today but it ain't going to happen! I'm going to go and try to do 15 mins just to sweat out the badness and then do my 28 tomorrow. It'lll be 30 on thurs and the 5K on Saturday to finish.

Don't beat yourself up, its not the end of the world, a couple of days back at it and you'll be fine. I had a ball at my friends wedding, I had 2 sneaky smokes as well (very very bold), loads of drink and ate all round me. ah well, its not everyday and as long as you enjoyed yourself!

don't know what im going to do next. i'll probably try to improve on my times and im going to mix up my training with swimming, classes etc. I cant see me running marathons tbh but will try to get to 10k.

• Advertisement

where was your wedding? I was at one too! still wrecked today! I had my 25 min run on Friday, I did it but it was tough.

I'm due to run 28 minutes today but it ain't going to happen! I'm going to go and try to do 15 mins just to sweat out the badness and then do my 28 tomorrow. It'lll be 30 on thurs and the 5K on Saturday to finish.

Don't beat yourself up, its not the end of the world, a couple of days back at it and you'll be fine. I had a ball at my friends wedding, I had 2 sneaky smokes as well (very very bold), loads of drink and ate all round me. ah well, its not everyday and as long as you enjoyed yourself!

don't know what im going to do next. i'll probably try to improve on my times and im going to mix up my training with swimming, classes etc. I cant see me running marathons tbh but will try to get to 10k.

Down in Cork, it was a great day but I'm still feeling the impact today. What's really scary is that this used to be normal for me just a few months ago. I would always be a bit worse for wear on a Monday morning. :eek: How did I ever think that was normal? :confused:

Someone was telling me that sometimes it can take the best part of the week for him to feel normal again after a session so I'm not expecting miracles today. If I can get out and do it great, if not I'll just repeat Week 5. Either way I have had a valuable lesson on excess. I feel so sick, it really wasn't worth it.

I'm starting to eye the 10k next too :o

Down in Cork, it was a great day but I'm still feeling the impact today. What's really scary is that this used to be normal for me just a few months ago. I would always be a bit worse for wear on a Monday morning. :eek: How did I ever think that was normal? :confused:

Someone was telling me that sometimes it can take the best part of the week for him to feel normal again after a session so I'm not expecting miracles today. If I can get out and do it great, if not I'll just repeat Week 5. Either way I have had a valuable lesson on excess. I feel so sick, it really wasn't worth it.

I'm starting to eye the 10k next too :o

Mine was in wexford, it would've been funny if we had been at the same one!
    Don't be too hard on yourself, you have to live too and weddings don't happen everyday, you'll feel much better tomorrow, trust me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

started week 2 last night, found it MUCH easier than week 1!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 godders

Don't beat yourself up, look how far you've come in the last few weeks. Fair play to you for even trying, there'd be no getting me off the couch if i was hungover!

Well, im a few weeks behind as i had a chest infection but got back out there on Fri and i didn't feel as bad as i thought.
    Tonight was the dreaded week 5 day 3 the solid 20min run, i only effing did it! I am thrilled. Now it wasn't very fast i managed 2.59km in the 20mins but thats good enough for me. Its mad to think that 6 short weeks ago i struggled to run for 60 seconds.
    Hope everyone is doing well, keep up the good work.

Went out again last night, I managed to get to 20 mins before I had to stop so I walked for about three minutes and then ran the last five. Its not the same I know but I was still a bit ropey. I think tomorrow I should be well enough to get the whole thing done without a break. I'm not moving onto Week 7 until its done.

W8 D1

I didnt have high hopes for this one - a straight 28 min run, given that i got tired after climbing the stairs to the gym! But i managed it, and it wasnt too bad. Now I was pretty slow, the distance was just shy of 4K but I'm glad I've done it. Tomorrow is 30 mins and then the 35 mins on saturday. Im confident I can do it now and will spend the next few weeks trying to speed up a little. I'd like to be running the 5k in less than 30 mins.

Keep going everyone!

W8 D1

I didnt have high hopes for this one - a straight 28 min run, given that i got tired after climbing the stairs to the gym! But i managed it, and it wasnt too bad. Now I was pretty slow, the distance was just shy of 4K but I'm glad I've done it. Tomorrow is 30 mins and then the 35 mins on saturday. Im confident I can do it now and will spend the next few weeks trying to speed up a little. I'd like to be running the 5k in less than 30 mins.

Keep going everyone!

Fair play, you're doing great.

I'm still chasing the 25 mins run, its just not connecting for me at all but I'm getting out there and just enjoying the process anyway. It will come in time. I think my diet might be an issue, haven't been eating great this week, so going to focus on improving that and hopefully I'll finally be able to move onto Week 7

Fair play, you're doing great.

I'm still chasing the 25 mins run, its just not connecting for me at all but I'm getting out there and just enjoying the process anyway. It will come in time. I think my diet might be an issue, haven't been eating great this week, so going to focus on improving that and hopefully I'll finally be able to move onto Week 7

W8 D2

I did the 30 mins last night, thought it was going to be ok after the 28 mins but boy was I wrong. I was tired after 5 mins but i kept going - i just didnt want to fail so close to the end of the programme. By the time I was finished my head and chest were pounding - I was seeing stars!

I've been the same this week, diet not great and not enough water, so Im blaming that. Tomorrow is 35 mins and the 5K. I will be drinking gallons of water today and into bed early.

Just keep going, once you get to 20 mins, keep telling yourself one more minute, and then repeat til you get to 25 mins, I'd said its your mind more than anything. You're doing really well - just look how far we've come!

Still struggling.....

I'm still getting out and doing a run 3 times a week, I'm still stuck on the 25 min full run though, I just can't do it.

I don't know what it is but I'm really stuggling to keep going. I just feel so tired!! I'm doing the 25 mins anyway but just with a few walking intervals in between to help me along.

I know it will click eventually and I'm not giving up, no way, but I would be lying if I said it wasn't starting to bother me now.

Hey lumpy, having a funny week myself. was meant to do the 5k (well 35 mins) on saturday, but with one hassle and another I didnt get out on or on sunday. went on monday and was wrecked, managed a 15 minute run before stopping and then another 10 after a 3 minute walk. just feeling really tired as well.

im going again tonight and im aiming to do 25 mins and build from there. i'll hopefully get back up to 30 mins by the end of the week. tis a strange one. just keep going, im telling myself at least im trying!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I think I got to 30 mins by doing it in 3 running intervals of 10 mins each with 2 mins walk in between. I slowly increased the first and second interval of running (and decreased the last) until I was doing 2 15 min intervals running with 1 walking of 2 mins. Then I slowly increased the 1st running interval and decreased the last til I was running for 30. Took me a while to get there.

Just to spur you on - this time last year my goal was to get to 30 minutes (or 5k). Now 6k is my short run each week! My long run is 10k. I still do a mix of intervals some days and unbroken runs other days. I like to mix it about.

Must be something in the air Westies :) I was out last night and felt so heavy, I think maybe the humidity had something to do with it and maybe if it cools down a bit things might improve. I hope so anyway. But as you say, we're still getting out there which is the main thing.

Thats not a bad idea Username123 about the intervals. I'm kinda annoyed with myself that I have to resort to them but I keep telling myself it doesn't matter so long as I do the run.

Its frustrating but that last thing I am going to do is give up on it, I know that its normal to have off weeks and that whatever I'm doing now will stand to me when things improve. 5k and then a 10k is a long term goal so its good to hear its something that I can be doing a year from now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I personally find interval training more beneficial. Im not running myself into exhaustion. The muscles get a bit of a break, I get a bit of a breather, and then Im good to go again. Plus it breaks it up a bit and you can have a stretch if you need one etc...

Psychologically its easier to face 3 intervals of 10 minutes than it is to face a 30 minute stretch and you actually cover more distance because you do 4 minutes of walking in between!

Psychologically its easier to face 3 intervals of 10 minutes than it is to face a 30 minute stretch and you actually cover more distance because you do 4 minutes of walking in between!

I think I am going to try that, I'm back out tomorrow night so I'll let you know how it goes! :D

Week 3 tonight!Dont know how Im gonna double my running time, the 90seconds kills me as it is! Would be lying if I said I wasnt nervous :/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Did Week 2 Day 2 for the second time today. I did it on Tuesday but for one reason or another I hadn;t been out for over a week and I found it really, really tough. So I decided to do it again today. It felt much better this time round, it was cooler out, I didn't feel like I was going to die (:D) and I didn't have to talk myself into finishing it. I was delighted. Except when I went home and compared the stats, I actually went further on Tuesday!! Odd. Maybe I was going too fast, I took it really slowly today. Still, am glad to be back into it and enjoying it :)

Lads!I cant believe It! Week 3 day 1 last night was.. Fine!! I actually coulda ran further!! Well pleased, just hope it wasnt an anomaly and il drop halfway next time haha

Username your advice was great, I put it to the test and did 30 mins. 10 mins running with an interval of 3 mins walking in between. I did stop after 25 mins and after about a minute or two I decided to try for the full half hour and very glad I did. It's still really tough, I find the humidity is something else, but I feel a lot more motivated now. All I have to do is work on eliminating those intervals...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mrs Docjewel

Lumpy you're right about the humidity, I always go between 7 and 7.30 am but have been sick again the last week with strep throat so hadn't been out. We took the kids for a walk to the forest where I normally run on wednesday and I decided I'd do a session while docjewel followed on with the boys. I know I hadn't been out in a good couple of days,hadn't eaten much etc but the humidity was a killer so different to the early mornings! I went back out this morning at 7.15 and had no problems so hopefully that's the end of any sickness, it's really starting to get on my nerves, I've been sick 2 of the last 3 weeks!!! Am dosing myself up on vitamins now so onwards and upwards!!!

• Advertisement

aargh! have really hit a wall this week; no energy and a crap week at work - had to stay late most nights and have only been out once. next week is another week. feeling a bit down and demotivated. feel like I've failed at the last hurdle. :(

Advertisement