Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumpy and Grumpy: A non runners C25K

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭LumpyOtoole

Lumpy you're right about the humidity, I always go between 7 and 7.30 am but have been sick again the last week with strep throat so hadn't been out. We took the kids for a walk to the forest where I normally run on wednesday and I decided I'd do a session while docjewel followed on with the boys. I know I hadn't been out in a good couple of days,hadn't eaten much etc but the humidity was a killer so different to the early mornings! I went back out this morning at 7.15 and had no problems so hopefully that's the end of any sickness, it's really starting to get on my nerves, I've been sick 2 of the last 3 weeks!!! Am dosing myself up on vitamins now so onwards and upwards!!!

Glad I'm not the only one. I thought last night was particulary bad even though it was a bit drizzly and overcast. Of course I wore a massive insulated sweatshirt which had me feeling like I'd walked into an oven after a few minutes too which didn't help :D

I hope you're feeling better soon x

aargh! have really hit a wall this week; no energy and a crap week at work - had to stay late most nights and have only been out once. next week is another week. feeling a bit down and demotivated. feel like I've failed at the last hurdle. :(

Hey don't be too hard on yourself, you've done massive to get so far. The bad weeks really suck especially coming after a roll of good weeks don't they but don't give up. I think you gave me that advice a few weeks back and it was wise words. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Hey don't be too hard on yourself, you've done massive to get so far. The bad weeks really suck especially coming after a roll of good weeks don't they but don't give up. I think you gave me that advice a few weeks back and it was wise words. :)

You're right - time to practice what I preach eh! Im intending getting out tomorrow - going to take my dogs for a long walk in the woods tonight to clear my head and re-focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

aargh! have really hit a wall this week; no energy and a crap week at work - had to stay late most nights and have only been out once. next week is another week. feeling a bit down and demotivated. feel like I've failed at the last hurdle. :(

If its any consolation I too have found running tougher going than normal this week and I have put it down to the humidity too. Try early morning or late evenings if you can and see how you get on. You'll get there just remember how far you've progressed all ready

Had a disaster of a run last night :(

Barely 5 mins in and I lost my footing and went down hard on my knees. No lasting damage thankfully but both knees are hurting today, swollen, cut and bruised.

I was able to walk home so that's a good sign but flexing the knees is painful so I don't know if I will get much running done over the next few days. My husband thinks I should just go out and try tomorrow anyway, his logic is that if I can walk I should be able to run so long as I take it slow but I'm not sure if that is a bad idea. I don't want to sit around too long and lose momentum but equally don't want to prolong recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Completed Week 2 this morning! It was nice and cool so the run was actually grand, I went further than I have on the other Week 2 runs. I just had a peek at the Week 3 run there - not sure how I'll do running for 3 full minutes considering I'm usually hanging for the 90 seconds to be up, lol, but hopefully I'll be able for it!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Had a disaster of a run last night :(

Barely 5 mins in and I lost my footing and went down hard on my knees. No lasting damage thankfully but both knees are hurting today, swollen, cut and bruised.

I was able to walk home so that's a good sign but flexing the knees is painful so I don't know if I will get much running done over the next few days. My husband thinks I should just go out and try tomorrow anyway, his logic is that if I can walk I should be able to run so long as I take it slow but I'm not sure if that is a bad idea. I don't want to sit around too long and lose momentum but equally don't want to prolong recovery.

Oh no! I hope it is just bruising, if so it should feel less sore by tomorrow already. Hopefully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Ouch!

Its not advisable to go out and run on an injury. The problem is you will try to favour the sore area and end up injuring elsewhere. You need to take a few days off. However, if you can walk without aggravating it, then do the distance as a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mrs Docjewel

Ouch!

Its not advisable to go out and run on an injury. The problem is you will try to favour the sore area and end up injuring elsewhere. You need to take a few days off. However, if you can walk without aggravating it, then do the distance as a walk.

Ya agree with this Lumpy, don't push yourself too much, a walk or a cycle for a few days while you're recovering will be just as good though probably frustrating!

out again today for the first time in a week and feeling better. have lost a bit of ground but I did a 20 min run, 3 min walk, 15 min run. glad to be back at it. hope you feel better lumpy.

• Advertisement

I'm back! :) I hadn't given up :D

Was away with the family for a few days and totally rested myself, no exercise of any kind and feeling a lot better for it now. Knees still very brusied but I can now run okay.

I went out last night, went prepared with a bottle of water which I needed, its still pretty hot even after sun down.

Because I haven't run in a while I decided to take it slow and did intervals of 5R, 3W for a total of 20 mins running. It went okay, I think the heat rather than myself or my fitness was the biggest issue.

Tomorrow I am going out again and doing the same but going to move it out to a total of 25 mins run and then aim to reduce the walking intervals to get to a full run over the next week or two and that will get me back on track to Week 6 and then I might finally finish this thing!!!

I'm back! :) I hadn't given up :D

Was away with the family for a few days and totally rested myself, no exercise of any kind and feeling a lot better for it now. Knees still very brusied but I can now run okay.

I went out last night, went prepared with a bottle of water which I needed, its still pretty hot even after sun down.

Because I haven't run in a while I decided to take it slow and did intervals of 5R, 3W for a total of 20 mins running. It went okay, I think the heat rather than myself or my fitness was the biggest issue.

Tomorrow I am going out again and doing the same but going to move it out to a total of 25 mins run and then aim to reduce the walking intervals to get to a full run over the next week or two and that will get me back on track to Week 6 and then I might finally finish this thing!!!

I went out at 7.30am Lumpy and it was so hot even then, there were swarms of midgets, I dont know how I wasn't blinded!!! I know its great having such great weather but part of me would like it just a little colder when I'm running:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Well done, the heats a killer for the run - a nice breeze is what you need, or even some gentle rain!! Last summer was a pleasure for running because it rained practically every day - it was a horror for anything else!!

Did 25 mins last night in blocks of 5r and 3w, took it very slowly and it was okay. I'm feeling a bit more confident that I can go back to a long run in the next week once I pace myself and avoid the heat. For now though I'm going to do the same run again but maybe drop down to 1 min walking intervals.

Happy days, I have FINALLY achieved the full 25 mins run and can now say adios to Week 6 a month after I started. I didn't expect it to take this long and its been hard not to want to give up but I guess its proof if you keep at it you will get there in the end. I now feel a lot more positive for the coming weeks :)

Happy days, I have FINALLY achieved the full 25 mins run and can now say adios to Week 6 a month after I started. I didn't expect it to take this long and its been hard not to want to give up but I guess its proof if you keep at it you will get there in the end. I now feel a lot more positive for the coming weeks :)
    Woohoo!!! Well done! Doing my first 20 min this week, think I'll have to go out at 6am!!!!

I completed Week 3 today but somehow I missed the cue for the first run and instead did an extra long walk, then straight into 3 minute run. I think I'll do Day 3 again just to have it done properly, found it tough this morning so another day of it will be no harm, I'm sure.

Woohoo!!! Well done! Doing my first 20 min this week, think I'll have to go out at 6am!!!!

Its very warm out there, I went out at 10pm last night and it still felt like running into a hairdryer. The 20 mins isn't so bad, I broke it up into blocks of 5 mins, just kept saying to myself "get through this 5mins and if you need to stop you can"...once you get past the 10 mins mark you're on the countdown.

Good luck!!!

Just signed up today for a 6.5km fun run on Thursday :o:o
    This should be eh, interesting!!

25 mins runs all this week. First one last night and despite the late hour I went out - after 10pm - the humidity was still pretty intense. Got through it though, really enjoyed it actually. I brought a pedometer with me and estimate I ran just under 2.5k, not great but its a big enough distance for a newbie like me and I am feeling a lot more confident about the 5k run now I've entered for the end of Aug.

• Advertisement

miamee wrote: »
    Just signed up today for a 6.5km fun run on Thursday :o:o
    This should be eh, interesting!!

Let us know how you get on Miamee, I'm sure you will do great

have got stuck at the 5k - cant seem to run any further or faster!

had a chat with one of the instructors in my gym and started a new programme last night. its 50 mins of interval training mixed with weights to build up some power and speed. i plan to do it twice a week and then run on a third day.

we'll see how it goes!

I think I ran the entire 25 mins, my stopwatch somehow reset itself halfway through so I had to guess but I did the exact same run as Day 1 and managed 2.5k! Still very muggy out which makes it all that bit harder but we soldier on.

Done. Found it really hard going, I struggled with the heat again and had forgotten to bring any water with me which just added to the pain but managed to complete it so on course to start Week 8 :eek: later this week.

Finished my last run of Week 8 last night, I can't believe that I'm going into the final week of the plan :eek:

The 28 mins runs have been okay, the change in the weather has been a definate plus that's for sure :) I found last night quite hard, I'm not really sure why but I was feeling really heavy and as a result was a lot slower than I have been on recent runs.

But I managed to keep going until the end.

I'm really looking forward to Week 9, its just an extra two minutes running and mentally that feels easy enough. I'm not finished yet but I can't help but feel really chuffed with myself for getting to the last week despite all the setbacks and self doubt. And I really can't wait to graduate and move onto the next phase of my running journey.

I cannot believe I am posting this saying I ran for a full 30 mins last night. I was quite nervous all day knowing it was coming, butterflies galore. Even though its just an additional 2 mins to last week its the mental thing isn't it? Half an hour is a long time, its an episode of Eastenders and boy that can drag sometimes.

So off I went, and yeah, it was good, I was very focused on just getting through it so I didn't enjoy it as much as previous runs but I feel I've crossed a huge mental barrier by doing it and this morning I just feel amazing. Its only half an hour but by gosh I never would have imagined doing even half that a few months ago.

I'm not as nervous now about day 2, in fact really looking foward to it.

Well done to you!!

I'm struggling with Week 4, completed it but am having a do-over as I wasn't in any way comfortable with it. I weighed myself this morning, I have lost 4 lbs since starting. Not much but any change in weight down instead of up is good in my book :D

After the triumph of Day 1, Day 2 was a bit of a damp squib, got to 17 mins and couldn't go on any further, a massive stitch right across my belly had me scuppered. So rather than push myself on I stopped and hope to go out tonight and do it again weather permitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

don't despair. these things happen everyone now and again. you know you can do it now so look forward to the next session. start out at a very easy pace to keep the stitches at bay and there are techniques to help get rid of stitches so you can run through them. search the main forum as things like belly breathing etc are discussed. it's good to know how best to deal with stitches as it might happen you in a race.

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    don't despair. these things happen everyone now and again. you know you can do it now so look forward to the next session. start out at a very easy pace to keep the stitches at bay and there are techniques to help get rid of stitches so you can run through them. search the main forum as things like belly breathing etc are discussed. it's good to know how best to deal with stitches as it might happen you in a race.

I started a lot faster than normal, the first time I have ever done that, usually I pace myself :o I was kicking myself after for going home, I should have just walked it out and kept going when I felt better but my heart just wasn't in it. I knew even starting off that I wasn't in the right head space to be out. Lesson learnt for next time.

Advertisement