Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumpy and Grumpy: A non runners C25K

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭LumpyOtoole

Its been nearly a month since I last posted here and I thought I would come back and update you on how I am doing.

The last time I posted I was working my way up to the 30mins run. I hadn't quite reached it but was confident I would get there.

Sadly a few days after the last post I had a bit of a bombshell, my husband decided he wanted out and left the home a few days later. It was totally out of the blue, hit me for six and so I am ashamed to say I reverted to type and went back to my comfort blanket of junk food and the couch. I gained back the weight I had lost and totally felt a failure.

Then yesterday rolled around and the Great Pink Run which I had entered earlier in the summer and completely forgotten about. My sister who was also doing it had been on at me all week to go for it but it was the last thing I wanted to do. She's a tenacious cow though :) and we went along although my heart wasn't in it at all. But once there something came back and I ran - not the whole thing mind, that junk food has taken a toll :D - but I managed to run 3k and as mawkish as it sounds the woman who crossed the finish line was a different one to the one who started the run.

I haven't found myself or anything deep like that but I do feel a bit more positive today than I did yesterday and although things are still hard I feel running is the one thing I can do that will be good for me mentally, physically, emotionally etc. My kids are back to school tomorrow and I am off work all week so there are no excuses. Once they are dropped off I am going out running again and I'm going to do a 5k route and see how I go.

I'll keep you posted x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Sorry to hear your bad news, the best thing you can do for yourself is: keep on running!! Seriously, staying busy and getting physically tired will help you get through this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I haven't found myself or anything deep like that but I do feel a bit more positive today than I did yesterday and although things are still hard I feel running is the one thing I can do that will be good for me mentally, physically, emotionally etc. My kids are back to school tomorrow and I am off work all week so there are no excuses. Once they are dropped off I am going out running again and I'm going to do a 5k route and see how I go.

I'll keep you posted x

Absolutely. This is what will help you though. I'm a great believer that running and everything associated with it is one of the best things you can do to help deal with issues like you're going through. it mightn't be the answer to all your problems, but there is no doubt that it will help you. a healthy mind and body...
    Get back out there, set yourself some short-term goals, target another race before the end of the year and look at some longer term running goals too like maybe a 5k under a particular time or a longer race next year such as a half marathon.
    Keep us posted and good luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭LumpyOtoole

Thanks for the words of wisdom, I'm doing great. I've made my three runs this week and its been great to be back out there. I'm managing 20 - 30 mins, I've picked up a strain so its a bit limiting. I can still run but only if I take it slow and steady. I've started doing some yoga as well that is aimed at runners to help keep my legs strong but also because its very calming. So yeah I'm not doing all that bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mrs Docjewel

Well done M!!! Hopefully going out Monday evening, am on nights at the mo (that's my excuse anyway). Haven't been out in awhile so think I'll just see how long I can run for and go from there;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Pompeii

I have enjoyed reading this thread and hope it's ok to add to it now. I was reading some C25K threads to motivate me before starting. How is your running now Lumpy?

I am 28 and reasonably healthy. I have a 9 month old baby and before my pregnancy I would have been in good shape from squash and yoga. The furthest I've ever ran was 3km when I used to go to the gym a few years ago. But I would love to build back up my fitness and be able to run for exercise as it's free, can do it anywhere and takes less time than a class etc. Also am an ex smoker and get out of breathe quite easily when I'm unfit, like now.

I finished week 1 last night. First run I found tough, I was really huffing and puffing!! But last night, 3rd run, it was better. I've signed up for a 5k in mid Nov so no going back now:P

Anyone else starting out?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Metacarpi

Hi all!!
    I know i'm late to this thread but having spent the most part of a week indoors getting over flu I read these posts and decided to get started on my own c25k as soon as I was better! I'm 24, female and 10stone. I don't really have much excess weight to shed but i'm mad to improve my fitness. I've had a go at running before and about 3mins is the max I could go without gasping for breath with a burning sensation in my throat. The running bug is absolutely everywhere almost to the point that you feel a bit out of the loop if you don't run, but lets face it it's healthy and more importantly free so here I am climbing on the bandwagon :)

I did week 1, day 1 today fairly comfortably but i'm well aware that it gets tough quick so i'm gonna try and post here regularly to keep me motivated. I'd love to hear stories of anyone else in a similar position or how all the other contributors to this thread are doing now!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 VanillaOnline

Hey Metacarpi, I've recently begun this trail meself. I hope to get through W3D1 this evening, so I'm only eating fruit until I get that out the way, anything else just leads to a stitch.
    I was enjoying it until Saturday, W2D3 was very hard for some reason. (A few pints of Guinness the previous evening)

Hey VanillaOnline, good to hear from another recent starter.

Was supposed to begin w2 today but could hardly move my neck this morning :( went to my weekly kettlebell class last night and think I could've strained something without realizing at the time. Felt perfect yesterday, in agony this morning!!!

Well only week 2,day 1 today. 8 days late coz of a neck/back strain but better late than never!!! Out again tomorrow, great weather for it!!

• Advertisement

Did W3 D1 today, getting a feel for it :) dreading week 4 though!!

week 4 done and dusted! want to start week 5 but the weather today is shocking!! i'd actually fall over in that wind :O

There's a 5k run on Stephens day that i'm thinking of doing. It'd be nice and relaxed with everyone running off their xmas day dinners so I figured it'll be a nice run to start out on. Thing is i'd only be on week 6 of the programme so i'm a little scared that I wouldn't manage it and embarrass myself :/

Advertisement