Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving in Canada

Options
  • 10-05-2013 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I am working as an engineer in Alberta at the moment. Im working off the books while I wait for an LMO to come through and I get a work permit. I have an international drivers licence that I got in Ireland before I came here. Does anybody know what the law is for me to drive a company vehicle here with my international licence. Will I need to do a test here and get a Canadian one? I've heard that I can drive for a year before I need one, while other people say I have to go right back to the start and become a learner again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

arte suave wrote: »
    I am working as an engineer in Alberta at the moment. Im working off the books while I wait for an LMO to come through and I get a work permit. I have an international drivers licence that I got in Ireland before I came here. Does anybody know what the law is for me to drive a company vehicle here with my international licence. Will I need to do a test here and get a Canadian one? I've heard that I can drive for a year before I need one, while other people say I have to go right back to the start and become a learner again.

You can drive for 90 days on an Irish \ 1 year on IP according to most sources.
    How long have you held your Irish License?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭coulagh1986

i needed to get an Albertan license so I could drive a pickup for my company. I`m sure every company has different policies tho..

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭coulagh1986

its easyish to get the Albertan License. First off sit the theory test which is like ours back home. Id recomend reading the book tho and doing online practice tests as a lot of rules are different. I barely passed. Once you have more than 2 full years driving experience in Ireland you can skip straight through to sit the class 5 test. When you pass the theory you surrender your Irish Licence and have to wait about 3 weeks for them to process it. Once its approved you can go sit your Class 5 driving exam.. Get a few lessons as like back home its just a matter of knowing what there looking for/ what to do and you should be ok..

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

I think that you can do 6 months on a foreign licence, after which time you are legally required to get a local licence, but each Province or Territory makes their own rules.

I don't think an International Driver's licence will make any difference.

I am pretty sure that it's only purpose is to translate the details of the actual licence to multiple languages.

I'd recommend to everyone to do some lessons, even if you are a good driver, you will probably learn something new.

Also choose the driving school carefully. I had one guy tell me incorrect things. I was lucky that he wasn't able to give me a lesson on the morning of my exam; I found another instructor who corrected some of the others guys bad advice.

If anyone is interested, here is an example of bad advice; the evening before the exam, we were out in the exam area doing some routes. He had me stopping at the entrance to the exam centre, where there is a stop for exiting traffic, but not entering traffic! His logic was that if there was a stop sign for the outgoing traffic, logically the incoming traffic must also stop.

Here is the address if anyone is bored enough to check it on street view, 855 Boulevard Henri Bourassa Ouest, Montreal, QC. It's not the first entrance, the 90° right turn, but the one after, the slip road.

There is a pedestrian crossing there, but a stop sign only for exiting, not entering. He said it's a trick for them to catch you out!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

arte suave wrote: »

The Canadians have the answers you need for Alberta.

What would be the insurance implications of driving a work vehicle while not technically working for the company?

• Advertisement
Advertisement