Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A friend just got slapped with a request to pay a TV licence - advice

Options
  • 10-05-2013 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi there, a friend of mine, living with her parents, told the licence inspector that there was indeed a TV in the house but it was not in use. Ignorant of the law, this is the truth she told. She was unaware at the time that it was actually a TV set belonging to the landlord, she thought maybe it was brought over by one of her parents' friends so did not mention this landlord bit to the inspector.

She asked about this of this inspector - Do we still need a TV licence if we don't use it? The point is everyone in the house has laptops and is barely even at home so the TV sits there unplugged, there's not even an aerial in the house. It is gathering dust. The inspector said he doesn't know, he's just the inspector and that the head office will send out a letter with details.

Some time last week a letter arrived demanding that 160e be paid or proceedings will be instituted for the 1000e conviction fine. She doesn't have the money and neither do the parents, a lot of debt and the like, especially being a student. The point is the TV is gone now, they asked the landlord to take it back.

Do they still have to pay the TV licence? Can they write to the licence department and ask that they carry out an inspection again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Contact An Post and inform them that there is no longer a TV in the house. I have done it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The problem is that when your friend admitted there was a TV, then there was a TV and a licence is needed for that time.

Advertisement