Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate to gloat...

Options
  • 10-05-2013 7:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭

...but today is my first day as a REAL business owner.

In August 2012 I took a chance and bailed from the safe steady career I had as a trainee accountant (and "wasted" 4 years of college and a 3 year internship, by conventional wisdom) to open my gym, Revolution Fitness.

It fills a very important gap in the market - results focused training, goal orientated programming and group coaching at an affordable price. I could lie and say it's been a slog and a day to day grind, but honestly it's been the best experience of my life so far.

I've pushed my own comfort zones and got VERY comfortable selling services to people and understanding the importance of marketing and relationship building, and have spent substantially more time working on that than anything else over the last 9 months.

9 months in, and today at 6.30pm I was walking around town in the glorious sunshine. Why does that matter? Well because there were classes going on the gym being run by the first member of my coaching team. The next one starts training the week after next and I'll be taking a 2 week holiday in Thailand this summer while the gym stays open.

Still "small" in the grand scheme of things, but I work the hours I want, hang around in shorts all day, tutor part time for the industry's leading education provider for new trainers. That, and a new location and continuing to grow thru organic pathways means I've a very good chance of hitting the most ambitious goal I ever set in my life - one single monthly salary equivalent of XXXk/annum in my first year of operation. Might not make it this time, but I won't be far off.

Today is a good day :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Hanley wrote: »

In August 2012 I took a chance and bailed from the safe steady career I had as a trainee accountant (and "wasted" 4 years of college and a 3 year internship, by conventional wisdom) to open my gym, Revolution Fitness.

It fills a very important gap in the market - results focused training, goal orientated programming and group coaching at an affordable price. I could lie and say it's been a slog and a day to day grind, but honestly it's been the best experience of my life so far.

I've pushed my own comfort zones and got VERY comfortable selling services to people and understanding the importance of marketing and relationship building, and have spent substantially more time working on that than anything else over the last 9 months.

9 months in, and today at 6.30pm I was walking around town in the glorious sunshine. Why does that matter? Well because there were classes going on the gym being run by the first member of my coaching team. The next one starts training the week after next and I'll be taking a 2 week holiday in Thailand this summer while the gym stays open.

Still "small" in the grand scheme of things, but I work the hours I want, hang around in shorts all day, tutor part time for the industry's leading education provider for new trainers. That, and a new location and continuing to grow thru organic pathways means I've a very good chance of hitting the most ambitious goal I ever set in my life - one single monthly salary equivalent of XXXk/annum in my first year of operation. Might not make it this time, but I won't be far off.

Pah, a holiday in your first year ?

Lack of commitment that is, in my day you didn't get a holiday unless it was in hospital after collapsing from exhaustion, etc etc

You kids these days !

:)

Well done mate, delighted its working out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Fair fu*ks to you. Enjoy it and keep up the good work. It's great to read good news stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

+1 Great to see a good news story.Congrats and Best of luck for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Accountant? You? I think you're where you belong and it's great you can make a living off it. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Pixie Chief

So delighted for you! Also really needed to hear a good news story at the minute - launching a new product in a little over a week and incredibly nervous about all the ways I could screw this up. Wishing you the very best in the years to come and I hope that every day of it is as good as today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 fruitman

So delighted for you! Also really needed to hear a good news story at the minute - launching a new product in a little over a week and incredibly nervous about all the ways I could screw this up. Wishing you the very best in the years to come and I hope that every day of it is as good as today!

Give it a go if you don't try it you'll never know and sure if you screw it up you'll learn from your mistakes. Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭aidan.connolly

Hi ,

With all the gloom and doom stories , it is nice to hear a good news story

Well done, continued success.

Aidan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

great to read......congrats

Advertisement