Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rod for Beachcasting: Any Recommendations

Options
  • 10-05-2013 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm new to beachcasting and just bought an Abu Garcia 6500 C3 Mag Elite.

I'll be chasing bass, probably using crab bait to start with.

So could anyone make a recommendation for type and size of rod to be using?

Nothing to pricey or top of the range, but something reliable and can take a bit of weight and use.

All suggestions/tips appreciated, eg weight of line etc 15lb enough? I'm really starting from scratch so I ain't got a clue.

I'm on the northwest coast, so bass will be scarce enough but I'll give it a go.

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

were about on the north west coast are you getting bass

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

If its your first multi put some .38 or .40 line on it. Its gonna be a little thick for beach fishing but it will make the reel more managable and cut down on tangles. After a few weeks chance it to .35. Suffix tritanium is a good quality line at a good price.
    As for rods, theres loads of bass rods out there but have a at the shakespesre salt range. I dont have one but you wont find a bad review of them. Also look for rods with a 2-4 or 3-5 oz casting weights in around 11-11 '6 lenght. They will be pretty much the same as a bass rod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

ferrete wrote: »
    were about on the north west coast are you getting bass

I'm fishing Strandhill and Culeenamore beach. Bass are rare enough here, but I'm just getting used to the new gear more than anything else. A catch would be a bonus : )

@ .red. Many thanks for the info. (Grabs coat and heads off to tackle shop : )

have a look in a few tackle shops and google what they are offering. most tackle shops are good but you will always find one who is making a poor rod seem like a good deal to a lad that doesnt know any better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

The Shakespeare Agility range looks to be the the newer version of the Salt range. This one is a bit longer than a bass rod and can cast 4-8 oz but it's designed for surf fishing with a multiplier reel.

Shakespeare Agility Surf MX

Review Here

Available Here in Ireland

Thats the shop where i buy all my gear as its only 15mins from home. Its one of the best tackle shops in the country and he does his best to compete with tue uk shops. Have a look round local tho as you might get it a little cheaper if you dont have postage involved.
    Another option is 2nd hand. Some very good bargains to be had on rods if your not bothered about a small scratch here of there.

Thanks guys, very kind of u to take time to reply. Much appreciated.

Advertisement