Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laser hair removal - blonde hair

• 10-05-2013 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all!

I have a little facial hair but it is blonde & I have fair skin. Can I get laser ? Will it be effective? Can anybody recommend a salon with up to date equipment?

I would really love to get rid of it !

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I've moved this from Moards/facial hair - reckon you'll have more joy here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I'm getting laser in ther*apie, from what I was told is it's ONLY suitable for light skin + dark hair.

I had asked about fair her, for my partner XD, but they said there isn't anything out that works for light hair.
    Not int the same way or permanent reduction anyway.

I think Dublin has a new "medilase" system.
    I know my local clinic doesn't, BUT that is supposed to be doable for fair hair. It' uses ultrasound pulse, I'd suggest giving th*rapieclinic a contact. They are VERY helpful and will not suggest something that won't work. (As in, I didn't find them pushing for extra treatments/more money) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 soulkiss

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I have heard some horriffic stories about that particular clinic. I am a solicitor and know that they are the most sue'd salon in Dublin. Be careful!

I thought I had seen ad's somewhere ages ago that laser had been developed for fair hair.

well I must say, I've used their clinic in limerick and it has been absolutely fantastic. Very friendly staff, with delightful results.

But, I have dark hair and was told the laser doesn't work for fair hair, (for the same reason it doesn't work if you wax in between session) It needs to pick up on the different colour between skin and hair and burns whats darker.

But the ultrasound pulse, works differently, however I have no experience or real info of that. Anything I'd give you would be from a google search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I have fair hair and tried laser hair removal, it didn't work at all and was very painful. I found out afterwards the only reason it hurt so much was because my skin was absorbing the heat from the laser instead of the hair.

I used the Salon in the IFSC Dublin, I found them shockingly ill informed. They never told me it doesn't work on fair hair. I was originally told that you needed to have the area clean shaven within at most 24 hours before the session only to be told after the 4th session that there should be a few days of growth. Still not sure which one of them is correct.

After 6 sessions I didn't see any results, they tried selling me more saying that it should start to take after a few more sessions.

Researching online I discovered that if it was going to take I have started to at least see some results after at most 3/4 sessions. Since I hadn't seen any by 6 sessions the odds of any more having any effect were very slim, especially because I have fair hair.

They were either very ill informed or were just trying to scam more money out of me so I told them no thanks.

I haven't heard of any viable alternatives that works on fair hair :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 soulkiss

That's horrible , what a waste of money.
    I cannot imagine that it's all that good for your skin to obsorbe the light / heat.

I had laser 6/7 years ago in a beauty salon and they burned off a mole on my upper lip. Was terribly painful and scabbed for weeks.

I think it's one thing you don't want at a knock down price. There are alot of under / unqualified therapists administering laser with no real education on it.

My search continues !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Medilase/applisonix/ultrasound does not work and has no scientific backing to it. The only method that will work on a permanent basis on blonde facial hair is electrolysis

I used the Salon in the IFSC Dublin, I found them shockingly ill informed. They never told me it doesn't work on fair hair. I was originally told that you needed to have the area clean shaven within at most 24 hours before the session only to be told after the 4th session that there should be a few days of growth. Still not sure which one of them is correct.

thats ridiculous.

You should shave 24-48hours before hand, as there has to be a little hair growth but not much.

The therapie clinic in Limerick constantly asked, how was it going/have I noticed improvements.
    At the 4th session, I had gone in for an appointment, only to be suggested that I wait an extra week or two as they felt the laser treatments would be wasted. This happened a couple of times. Which I appreciated.

But, I am dark haired and I'm shocked that they even tried laser on you. As from what I've researched, it just does not work for light hair. ):

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭pixysarah

could you try electrolysis? suitable for all hair and skin types and much more effective then laser!!
    or maybe this http://www.brazilia.ie/index.php/laser/applisonix-ultrasound-hair-removal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

pixysarah wrote: »
    could you try electrolysis? suitable for all hair and skin types and much more effective then laser!!
    or maybe this http://www.brazilia.ie/index.php/laser/applisonix-ultrasound-hair-removal

I always thought electrolysis doesn't work, no idea where I picked that up tho.

Have you had it done?
    Roughly how many treatments does it take for the hair to be completely gone? They say 38% reduction after 2 treatments, but I assume the reduction isn't linear so it probably takes more than 5 sessions I would imagine. That's just me guessing tho.
    How much area does a 1 hour session cover?
    How big of a gap should there be between sessions?

Sorry about the 20 questions, I would be very interested in trying this out if it really works.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Electrolysis works, it's the only proven permanent hair removal method (ie, better than laser) and it works on all hair although the stronger and courser hair is, the longer it takes to work. It's super painful though and can take a long long long time before you see results, but it's cheaper than laser, like for example 20 euro for 18 minutes (and it would be enough to have done in one session!)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭pixysarah

have had electrolysis done and yes it does work but like lexieonrale said it can be painful but to be honest its worth it to have the hairs permanently gone and not to have to worry about them!! also agree with everything else lexieonrale said regarding the treatment

i havnt had the treatment in brazilia done but it came up while searching so said id post the link for anyone interested!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Applisonix or ultrasound doesn't work, I know of one salon that used to offer it but they got rid of it after a couple of years and switched back to electrolysis simply because clients weren't seeing results. Electrolysis success depends highly on the skill of the therapist, if you feel the hair being plucked they are not doing it properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Chrisita

Everything Jadie says is the truth. Regarding pain and electrolysis, a new and better type of equipment is now available, called apilus ,which is manufactured in Canada. This is a faster, less painful system, even skin reaction is reduced. Skilled technique is vital to ensure good results and the more skilled the operator , the faster the results. Average treatment time is 9 to 18 months,,the duration and frequency of visits will depend on each individual case.

Advertisement