Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reduced Fuel

• 10-05-2013 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭

Petrol €1.48 a litre and Diesel €1.41 MountBrown Kilmainham

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Good price and all but beware when buying cheap fuel, not saying this place is bad but 30euro's worth of dodgy fuel can cost you thousands.

Is it really worth it just to save 10c per litre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

http://Pumps.ie is a great website for the cheapest fuel in your area. Have iPhone and Android apps too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Bargain of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

faolteam wrote: »

One negative I'll give Kilmainham is that it's an Apple greens. I've had countless rants from people over how they're petrol is inferior but never listened but a recent experience has made it pretty obvious, they're petrol isn't worth s**t! Far better mileage from the likes of Topaz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^ diluted??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

niallon wrote: »
    One negative I'll give Kilmainham is that it's an Apple greens. I've had countless rants from people over how they're petrol is inferior but never listened but a recent experience has made it pretty obvious, they're petrol isn't worth s**t! Far better mileage from the likes of Topaz

I run the MPG guage on each fill.
    I've not come across any difference whatsoever with Applegreen Fuels.
    I do add some Elf Diesel Cetane (half a bottle) to each fill- as I do notice the difference with it. However- similarly- I'd add it to any fill.

As for this price being remarkable- not really. All over the west Dublin area- most stations are in a similar ballpark. Texaco Clondalkin- 142.9 Diesel, 149.9 petrol. Maxol Palmerstown 144.9 Diesel, 152.9 Petrol. Applegreen Palmerstown 144.5 Diesel, 149.5 Petrol (don't know why they've broken with convention and use 1/2 cents) etc etc Maynooth, Celbridge etc- all similar prices.

They may be 1-2c a litre cheaper than most garages- but nowhere near 10c cheaper.

The AA had a press release a week ago- advising motorists that prices 2-4c a litre over the coming days- as it has come to pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,258 ✭✭✭✭km79

smccarrick wrote: »
    I do add some Elf Diesel Cetane (half a bottle) to each fill- as I do notice the difference with it. However- similarly- I'd add it to any fill.

As for this price being remarkable- not really. All over the west Dublin area- most stations are in a similar ballpark. Texaco Clondalkin- 142.9 Diesel, 149.9 petrol. Maxol Palmerstown 144.9 Diesel, 152.9 Petrol. Applegreen Palmerstown 144.5 Diesel, 149.5 Petrol (don't know why they've broken with convention and use 1/2 cents) etc etc Maynooth, Celbridge etc- all similar prices.

They may be 1-2c a litre cheaper than most garages- but nowhere near 10c cheaper.

The AA had a press release a week ago- advising motorists that prices 2-4c a litre over the coming days- as it has come to pass.

Prices here in east Galway are still 159,9 in most places. It's very very annoying

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I do add some Elf Diesel Cetane (half a bottle) to each fill- as I do notice the difference with it. However- similarly- I'd add it to any fill. ...
    +1 for AppleGreen (diesel at any rate, as the lawn-mower's performance / MPG don't really matter :))

The only time I've encountered fuel problems recently is when I didn't use AppleGreen diesel. 144.8 for diesel the last time I filled and I use a shot of Millers Diesel Treatment each fill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

1.41 for diesel up in north Mayo for the past few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Funny thing is I always fill with Topaz diesel but was passing a station with applegreen recently which were 8p per liter cheaper than my local topaz. Decide to chance a fill as Skoda themselves did a promotion last year with Applegreen so can't be bad.

This tank is giving much more miles than the Topaz.

vectra wrote: »
    ... Skoda themselves did a promotion last year with Applegreen so can't be bad..
    They make great hurlers too :)

mathepac wrote: »
    They make great hurlers too :)

Huhh??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Dudda wrote: »
    http://Pumps.ie is a great website for the cheapest fuel in your area. Have iPhone and Android apps too.

And Windows Phone....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

testicle wrote: »
    And Windows Phone....

Have we just found the only person on boards who uses a Windows Phone?

Huhh??
    No GAA followers here I guess. Skdoda sponsor Tipp for the last couple of years.

Applegreen today 142.8 for diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭bromley52

Have we just found the only person on boards who uses a Windows Phone?
    2nd person here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭faolteam

vicwatson wrote: »
    Bargain of the year

Glad to be of Help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Back to the OP, this is consistently the cheapest petrol in the area (I never buy diesel), I used to always fill up there. The car never quite ran right, very "chuggy" to start and wouldn't idle evenly.

My garage checked it out thoroughly and could find nothing wrong, suggested that I alternate fuel sources - once I stopped using petrol from there, the problem ceased.

I'm not accusing them of anything, but it was one big co-incidence....

I don't use them any more, needless to say.

bromley52 wrote: »
    2nd person here :D

3rd one here :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ShaunC

3rd one here :P

OMG it's becoming an epidemic:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Is that the Emo garage that was closed for a while there a while back?

If so that is where I always go as they are consistently 1-3 cpl cheaper for Daysul than anywhere else around where I drive. Not too cheap to warrant suspicion but cheap enough to warrant going there!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jay1912

faolteam wrote: »

It was the same garage that was closed down for selling illegal fuel...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

jay1912 wrote: »

YES!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

jay1912 wrote: »

No, that was the old operators of the top garage on the quays. It has since been taken over by top themselves and tge issue related to a problem in 2010 - it took 2 years to go to court.

As for petrol/diesel. It all comes from the exact same refineries. It is all identical except some brands put an additive into their brand. Its lije buying a ping if guinness in one pub or another - all made in same place, only difference is name over the door.

If engines get sluggish, google why. You'll find so many reasons and none of them are due to the brand of fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

sandin wrote: »
    No, that was the old operators of the top garage on the quays. It has since been taken over by top themselves and tge issue related to a problem in 2010 - it took 2 years to go to court.

As for petrol/diesel. It all comes from the exact same refineries. It is all identical except some brands put an additive into their brand. Its lije buying a ping if guinness in one pub or another - all made in same place, only difference is name over the door.

If engines get sluggish, google why. You'll find so many reasons and none of them are due to the brand of fuel.

That's assuming that the fuel hasn't been laundered/stretched/otherwise sourced from dodhy dealers

The top guys on the quays were caught over the pumps being miscalibrated. The mount brown station closed down for months with no explanation (that I ever heard anyway) and had now reopened selling noticeably cheaper fuel than other city stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    That's assuming that the fuel hasn't been laundered/stretched/otherwise sourced from dodhy dealers

The top guys on the quays were caught over the pumps being miscalibrated. The mount brown station closed down for months with no explanation (that I ever heard anyway) and had now reopened selling noticeably cheaper fuel than other city stations.

The mount brown was closed for months because there was a short lease and its in nama - was bought about 7 years ago for huge money and an apartment block was meant to be built.

If you have ever had to deal with Nama over a property lease, you'd understand why it can take months for something that normally would take a few weeks. (a simple transaction of mine in Kerry has taken 5 months already and still not fully agreed)

As for "dirty" petrol - chaeck anywhere and you'll find that deposits build up in your tank over time. You may have been using an fuel station a year ago that had old tanks and had its own build up and then this week your engine causes problems - but you can't blame the station you just bought fuel in as the issue builds up over a long period.

Here's a good article about it http://www.aa1car.com/library/us10325.htm

When it comes to cheap petrol / diesel check the Brand and location. If its a recognised brand and in a high profile location, then its more than likely fine. There's about a 10c-12c + vat margin in fuel between the distributor and retailer. (up to 15c incl vat) If a distrbutor and retailer want to promote a certain location they can drop their margins to very small levels of about 2c each or even at cost on a temporary basis - so if you check the average price on www.pumps.ie deduct about 10c and this is realistically the cheapest possible price you should be able to get fuel at.

If the discount is more than 10c, then its either a very temporary measure or its a place to avoid.

Advertisement