Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm not a business man!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

JD Dublin wrote: »
    Just think - Timothy Ferriss who wrote ''The 4 hour workweek'' tested hundreds of book titles using google Ads and got the most popular one. THEN he wrote the book. Ingenious eh?

So that's market research, with a sharp focus on giving people what they want, as voted by them...

Brilliant. A simple formula - find out what people want, give it to them.

I really think The Four Hour Work Week is like a misunderstood genius. The title testing, the way it was written, the subject matter, it was super. The biggest problem it has is readers taking it all at face value without thinking critically about the deeper issues.

For example, Ferriss had a successful, profitable business selling a consumable product - i.e. recurring income, massive customer lifetime value - and that was before he started optimising the time he spent on the business. It's easy to forget that when reading the later sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭JD Dublin

Trojan wrote: »
    Brilliant. A simple formula - find out what people want, give it to them.

I really think The Four Hour Work Week is like a misunderstood genius. The title testing, the way it was written, the subject matter, it was super. The biggest problem it has is readers taking it all at face value without thinking critically about the deeper issues.

For example, Ferriss had a successful, profitable business selling a consumable product - i.e. recurring income, massive customer lifetime value - and that was before he started optimising the time he spent on the business. It's easy to forget that when reading the later sections.
    Yeah thats the genius of Timothy Ferriss.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Evsytrad

Enjoyed this thread, having just started a business...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭herthabsc

Best of luck Evsytrad with your new business. It is very difficult out there but keep the belief!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭JD Dublin

JD Dublin wrote: »
    Yeah thats the genius of Timothy Ferriss.
    Just said I'd come back to this - do bear in mind that ''The 4 hour workweek'' should be in the fiction section, for example containing details about how to ''outsource your life''. Anyone that has tried to get someone working in the same office as you to do some piece of work will know that this is difficult even when face to face. Ferriss tries to tell you that you can get your full-time job done by someone in Asia who will do your research, word-processing and so on.

Frankly it's a pipe dream, but he does give a modern twist to things like Paretos Principal - 80% of outputs arise from 20% of inputs. It's an interesting read, as long as you treat 80% of his ideas as ineffective and unworkable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

I am with you JD on this and most other self help books. Most people manage their own time very inefficiently, it is not hard to do, just requires a bit of willpower. Best advice I ever got was not to be doing 10Euro an hour work when you are costing you are costing your business 50 Euro an hour, unless you have nothing of that value to do, in which case you save 10 Euro an hour by doing it yourself. None of it is rocket science, just do the bleedin' obvious.... which is often the most unpalatable option!

Advertisement