Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pellegrini to City

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

CSF wrote: »
    I still think City should stick with Mancini. It was just last season he was winning the title. Regardless of money spent, you can't expect to win the title every season. Football just doesn't work like that.

Tell that to Abromovich! :D
    Mancini’s a £1bn loser

But loyal fans still love their boss

sadrob_1726680a.jpg
    Copyright 2012 News Group Newspapers Ltd and/or its licensors.

Was Sheikh Mansour listening? Was he even watching?
    Maybe the message will get back through one of his minions.
    But the loudest message making its way East will be the Wembley scoreline.
    Not what you have spent £1billion to achieve is it really?
    Especially as Wigan’s previous best in the Cup was reaching the sixth round way back in 1987.
    Suddenly, last year’s epic Premier League title success and two Cup finals in three years — one won, one lost — are looking slim pickings.

His continuing failure in the Champions League has left him vulnerable, according to certain City insiders.
    Not to the faithful. They are loyal to a man, woman and child.
    But loyalty is a disappearing word among the power-brokers running the football world.
    Ask Roberto Di Matteo — elevated to legendary status at Chelsea when he took charge in mid-season last term and went on to win the Champions League and FA Cup.
    He had masterminded arguably the greatest season in the history of the Blues. But by November he was gone.

Yes, Pellegrini has managed the mighty Real Madrid, finishing second to Barcelona a few years back.
    Er... quite a few can say that in recent years.
    Yes, he did well this season in the Champions League with Malaga — a couple of injury-time minutes away from the semi-finals.
    But is that reason enough for the bookies to suddenly make the 59-year-old Chilean 10-1 ON to take over from the Italian?
    Not in my book. Not in the fans’ view.
    Which is why you just had to feel sorry for Mancini as he tried to put a brave face on it at the final.
    Left in the lurch by his club on one of the biggest showpiece occasions of the season.
    City’s decision not to vehemently deny the rumours only served to give them added credibility.

The Sun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

TalkSport

Hard to see Mancini getting another season if this guy is interested . . .
    Pellegrini is good but clearly overrated. Won nothing in European terms. Mancini has a proven record of winning trophies for Man City.

Getting out of the group stages has to be a must though this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Pellegrini is good but clearly overrated. Won nothing in European terms. Mancini has a proven record of winning trophies for Man City.

Getting out of the group stages has to be a must though this season.

I don't know much about the man but his stats look good, very good, from South America to Spain. It's seems that he gets high praise from all quarters.

Record league points haul for Real in the league; broke up the big two by getting Valencia into 2nd place; quarters of champions league with two debutant teams; titles in SA; high win %; 75% in his season at Madrid; rates very high IMO!

It also gives me the impression that he would have would have achieved more at City than Mancini has, given the reported billion sterling that been spent since the sheiks arrived.

City were so good in the league last season, and Mancini deserves so much credit for that, but the amount of cash that had been spent, it's almost correct to say it's the least he could have done! :pac:

It's most likely that the sheiks have already decided, and unless they are worried about starting a Chelsea-esque manager merry-go-round sceanrio, I'd be very surprised if they would not dump Mancini for Pellegrini if he's interested. At least they have a trophyless season as reason, they wouldn't be doing a Chelsea just yet . . . :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

I'd say they're better off waiting until the beginning of next season has ended.At least if Mancini has a crap start the right decision will be clear and whoever come's in would come in with far less pressure.

If they thought for a second they could lure Mourinho over there though I think they'd sack him in a heartbeat.I wouldn't say that's an impossibility either regardless of his cryptic comment's.

I don't know much about the man but his stats look good, very good, from South America to Spain. It's seems that he gets high praise from all quarters.

Record league points haul for Real in the league; broke up the big two by getting Valencia into 2nd place; quarters of champions league with two debutant teams; titles in SA; high win %; 75% in his season at Madrid; rates very high IMO!

It also gives me the impression that he would have would have achieved more at City than Mancini has, given the reported billion sterling that been spent since the sheiks arrived.

City were so good in the league last season, and Mancini deserves so much credit for that, but the amount of cash that had been spent, it's almost correct to say it's the least he could have done! :pac:

It's most likely that the sheiks have already decided, and unless they are worried about starting a Chelsea-esque manager merry-go-round sceanrio, I'd be very surprised if they would not dump Mancini for Pellegrini if he's interested. At least they have a trophyless season as reason, they wouldn't be doing a Chelsea just yet . . . :pac:

I know Pellegrini is good. Just not so good to be sacking a manager for him who hasn't yet done enough wrong to deserve being sacked IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I know Pellegrini is good. Just not so good to be sacking a manager for him who hasn't yet done enough wrong to deserve being sacked IMO.

I dunno, if a guy like Pelligrini is available he must be seriously considered. His class is clear for all to see and imo he would be a significant step up on Mancini. Did Hughes really deserve to be replaced by Mancini going by the logic of not done enough wrong to deserve to be sacked?

An upgrade is an upgrade and for the owners of City, who want the best of everything, Pelligrini is an upgrade on Mancini. They have shown in the past you do not have to do much wrong if they think another manager would do a better job then you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I always felt Pellegrini was the man Liverpool should have tried to get instead of Roy Hodgson. He has great tactical nous and man-management skills. Those saying he hasn't won in Europe...have Mancini, Moyes or Wenger?

If he goes to City it will be a great appointment for them.

And Mancini is a lucky manager rather than a good one. He lucked out in Italy because of Calciopoli - he landed Vieira and Ibrahimovic from a relegated Juve and then dominated a weakened Serie A for a couple of seasons. They did nothing in Europe until Mourinho arrived.

Remember, Mancini is the guy who actually quit Inter after they lost to Liverpool in the Champions League at Anfield and then crawled back again. He was lucky last season that Utd effectively threw the league away.

Pellegrini is a serious upgrade on Mancini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

sky sources - Mancini will be sacked.

Thats that then, Pellegrini is a mistake to succeed him though.

Theres a fine manager going to be jobless in couple of weeks time who would relish the job to topple united....Benitez. Benitez with the funds at man city is frightening, tactically he is a genius and could build a dynasty at man city. Ye definetly wont under perform in Europe.

Chelsea are morons to let him go. All the **** and he is on course to win the Europa League and finish shy of second. A full season under him and they would of challenged for the league and defended there european cup far better.

He makes some head scratching decisions but he consistently delivers. The mans record speaks for himself. The only manager city should be even contemplating.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

rob316 wrote: »
    He makes some head scratching decisions but he consistently delivers. The mans record speaks for himself. The only manager city should be even contemplating.

This comment is head scratching to be honest.

rob316 wrote: »
    sky sources - Mancini will be sacked.

Thats that then, Pellegrini is a mistake to succeed him though.

Theres a fine manager going to be jobless in couple of weeks time who would relish the job to topple united....Benitez. Benitez with the funds at man city is frightening, tactically he is a genius and could build a dynasty at man city. Ye definetly wont under perform in Europe.

Chelsea are morons to let him go. All the **** and he is on course to win the Europa League and finish shy of second. A full season under him and they would of challenged for the league and defended there european cup far better.

Liverpool fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

If pellagrini gets the job do you think he will bring any Malaga players with him and if so who?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

gaelicred wrote: »
    If pellagrini gets the job do you think he will bring any Malaga players with him and if so who?

Roque Santa Cruz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Have to say I think it's pretty harsh to sack Mancini, but even though they finished 2nd it feels like the players phoned in this season big time. I think Mancini has paid for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Liverpool fan?

Damn right I am but Im not a Rafa worshipper. Im just pointing out thats a top class manager who would tick every box for ye. Hes free and has more experience in the league and won more in Europe than MP.

Look at the job he has done at chelsea in spite of the filth so called fans have subjected him too. I like Mancini, done a good job and is a true gent but he is found wanting a bit too much. He's not the guy to take ye forward thats the main point i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

Pellegrini hasn't won anything since 2002 and spent an obscene amount at Real, buying the best players in the world, without winning anything. Why will he be any different at City ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Pellegrini hasn't won anything since 2002 and spent an obscene amount at Real, buying the best players in the world, without winning anything. Why will he be any different at City ??

He was given one season. His two best players were sold and he didn't have a say in it. He managed to achieve the highest points total in Real Madrid's history at that point. He was only thwarted by an unstoppable Barcelona side that went on to win the treble that year in breathtaking fashion.

Pellegrini is a top coach, a really top notch coach. Someone who can build a team based on a philosophy which he believes in, someone who can get the best out of every player he works with, a manager who commands respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Pellegrini has never worked outside of a Spanish speaking environment ...... better get a good translator / english lessons quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I'd be celebrating Mancini's departure if I were a City fan. It always amazed me how he would say in interviews that he had 'endless patience' for Mario Balotelli every time he screwed up. He basically gave a guy who needed to learn some discipline the green light to behave however he wanted without any consequences. I can't imagine him having much control in that dressing room at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Harsh blaming the manager for the clubs failures when the transfer policy and the director of football fiasco has cost them dearly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

RayCon wrote: »
    Pellegrini has never worked outside of a Spanish speaking environment ...... better get a good translator / english lessons quick.

He speaks fluent english.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

gaelicred wrote: »
    Isco is the one I'd fancy would go to City with him and maybe Toulalon.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Isco is a cert IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

RayCon wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Pellegrini spent nothing at Real Madrid. The Real Madrid board spent that money! They bought the players and then told Pellegrini to get on with it. Paraphrasing what he said;

'They bought a load of guitarists but we needed a piano player...'

Pellegrini spent nothing at Real Madrid. The Real Madrid board spent that money! They bought the players and then told Pellegrini to get on with it. Paraphrasing what he said;

'They bought a load of guitarists but we needed a piano player...'
    Same story at City though, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Txiki Begiristain is behind all these moves at City. With his record he should be just given carte blanche to do what he wants.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I wanted Pellegrini to be the one to manage Arsenal when Wenger leaves :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Martin Samuel with a nice bit of xenophobia on the issue, forgetting how Mark Hughes worked out -

http://t.co/c6VFQLXuw7
    Pellegrini spent £200m at Real and won nothing... Surely we have better managers here

Manuel Pellegrini is going to be the new manager of Manchester City. And right there is the reason why Manchester United’s appointment of David Moyes was so important for English football.

A coach who has won nothing in Europe, not even in the season when he spent £200million on four players at Real Madrid, will now occupy one of the prime jobs in the Premier League. And as one door opens, another slams in the face of our home-schooled managers.

And not just British coaches, in fact, but those like Roberto Martinez or Gus Poyet who came to the game in this country, embraced it and stayed. Could Pellegrini have won the FA Cup with Wigan, as Martinez did on Saturday? Could he have got Wigan playing better football than Manchester City?

Thankfully, he does not have to answer those questions. Pellegrini enters the English game as Roberto Mancini did, at the top. He served his apprenticeship at clubs in South America, beyond our gaze, so all we have is received information. British managers play every match in the public eye.

We know every mistake, each little failure. We know that Alan Pardew struggled at Charlton Athletic and his success at Newcastle United was not maintained. So it counts against him.

Yet was Pellegrini so hot at O’Higgins or Palestino in Chile? And how much achievement in Spain has been aided by owner investment? We don’t know the details. He is one of the most admired coaches in Europe, we read, and Barcelona also want him, and that is our gospel.

No doubt Pellegrini is highly able. He did a fine job with two traditionally minor clubs, Villarreal and Malaga, and got 96 points in his sole season at Real Madrid, 2009-10, a record, although not enough to stop Barcelona winning the league.

Yet that campaign also saw Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, Karim Benzema and Xabi Alonso arrive in the summer for £210m, plus a 4-0 defeat by third-tier Alcorcon in the Spanish Cup and elimination by Lyon in the last 16 of the Champions League.

Pellegrini then moved to Malaga, who finished fourth backed by the wealth of Sheik Abdullah Al Thani and another significant spending spree of more than £50m. Is this so much greater than Pardew taking Newcastle to fifth in the Premier League in a year when many had them down for relegation?

Pellegrini’s triumphs — he was the last manager to split Barcelona and Real Madrid by finishing second with Villarreal — may have come in unfashionable locales, but his small clubs had big ideas.
    Villarreal were backed by investment from the owner of a major ceramics company, Malaga’s overspending made them one of the first clubs to fall foul of UEFA’s financial fair play regulations.

This wasn’t success on a shoestring. Pellegrini was supported in a way many British managers can only dream about.

These were not legacy projects, either, in the manner of Moyes at Everton.

Villarreal are currently in Spain’s second tier and Malaga are banned from Europe next season for financial misconduct.

Pellegrini is clearly an impressive coach and his record in South America includes three titles, but right now is there such a huge difference between this and a Roman Abramovich appointment?

Pellegrini could be brilliant, or he could be gone in a year, replaced by the next fancy of Barca Lite.

City have always claimed to be different, yet on the day of the FA Cup final the club allowed their manager to be a lame duck and his team played like it.

They were lifeless and uninspired, took Wigan too lightly and had no fear of consequence as the Mancini regime limped towards cessation. They got what they deserved. City’s owners clearly do not value the product of English football.

They have bolted fragments of Barcelona on to their administration by appointing Txiki Begiristain sporting director and making Ferran Soriano the chief executive.

In January, Barcelona president Sandro Rosell accused City of trying to poach other Nou Camp employees. The result, though, is that a new executive level goes with what it knows. And City’s staff know Malaga, not Wigan.

How could Begiristain adequately evaluate the job done by Steve Bruce at Hull City or Steve Clarke at West Bromwich Albion, for instance? How could he assess Moyes? Begiristain has been 47 years in Spain and just over six months in Manchester.

He was appointed by City at the end of October and there are suggestions Pellegrini was being courted as early as January. Didn’t exactly play the field, did he?

Once Begiristain had taken against Mancini, he headed directly to the market he knew best.

Saturday’s FA Cup defeat may therefore have come as a bit of a shock, the discovery that there is a Spanish manager playing better football and working tiny miracles 25 miles down the road.

Little about City’s performance at Wembley spoke for Mancini.
    He did, however, win the club the league and back-to-back trophies and the last time that happened was 1969. Yet Mancini was lucky, too. He got the break, he got the chance. An English manager has to fly to travel the same distance that managers in Spain or Italy walk.

Moyes had to wait eight years after getting Everton into the Champions League before a better offer came along. Alan Curbishley never got the call in his prime despite just missing out on Champions League football with Charlton Athletic.

Meanwhile, because City have been trying on identities and are currently being run as a Catalan enclave, Pellegrini is about to strike a rich man’s gold again. If he emulates the success of Mancini he will have done very well. Yet the manner of his appointment suggests it may not be enough.

Nothing may ever be enough for the restless elite.

There will always be a fashionable name, a fresh look, a new style that catches the eye. City hitched a ride on the fag-end of the Pep Guardiola era at Barcelona, so are in their Spanish phase.

This is dressed up as radicalism. At root, however, it’s just the same old, same old.

City fans made their feelings about Pellegrini clear on Sat

"you can stick your Pellegrini up your @rse "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

rarnes1 wrote: »
    City fans made their feelings about Pellegrini clear on Sat

"you can stick your Pellegrini up your @rse "

They were also singing

Pellegrini woah
    Pellegrini woah
    He came from sunny spain
    to manage in the rain

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Last year was Aguerooooooooooo

Today Mancini Sacked!
    It is with regret that Manchester City Football Club announces that Roberto Mancini has been relieved of his duties as Manchester City Manager.

This has been a difficult decision for the owner, Chairman and Board to make and it is the outcome of a planned end of season review process that has been brought forward in light of recent speculation and out of respect for Roberto and his extensive contributions to the Football Club.

Despite everyone’s best efforts, the Club has failed to achieve any of its stated targets this year, with the exception of qualification for next season’s UEFA Champions League. This, combined with an identified need to develop a holistic approach to all aspects of football at the Club, has meant that the decision has been taken to find a new manager for the 2013/14 season and beyond.

Chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak said: “Roberto’s record speaks for itself and he has the respect and gratitude of Sheikh Mansour, myself and the Board for all of his hard work and commitment over the last three and a half years. He has clearly also secured the love and respect of our fans. He has done as he promised and delivered silverware and success, breaking the Club’s 35-year trophy drought and securing the title in 2012. I would like to personally and publicly thank him for his dedication to the progress that he has overseen and for his support and continued friendship."

Assistant Manager Brian Kidd will take interim responsibility for the remaining two games of the season and the post-season tour to the United States

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Mancini sacked.

Advertisement