Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TP Link 200mbps -300mbps Plug in.

Options
  • 10-05-2013 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

I currently use Eircom Net with download speeds of 5mbps (max) as there is nothing better in my area. I just bought one of these plug ins to cover an extension onto my house with a very week signal, a solid wall now separates both units.

Occasionally, during daytime, the plug in sends out a good signal, Netflix will work fine, but sometimes, even with no traffic through the main router, it's very slow with Netflix constantly buffering, especially at night.

Have I chosen well or is there something else out there better suited to my needs?

Sorry if this has already been discussed elsewhere. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭zg3409

Have you confirmed it is these devices that is the bottle neck? As in have you connected directly to the Eircom modem with an ethernet cable and found everything is OK and then moved to extension and found it not to work?

It may be that the wiring in your house is bad, or that a nearby neighbour also has a similar unit and so you are interfering with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Jose1

Yes, everything is set up as per instructions. Strangely, the Link works fine at times but then for no reason the signal drops?

Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I've a 500Mbps pair, and get a steady 90Mbps+ from it, and the connection is very reliable. You shouldn't have any problem with HD streaming with a 200Mbps pair. I've read that the amount of devices powered on in your home can make a difference, so is anything else happening at the same time as the drops (someone cooking, having a shower etc?). Also seen it recommended that you don't use the homeplugs with extension cables/power blocks.

That's all assuming the problem is definitely with the homeplugs and not in the incoming connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Jose1

No, the both units are plugged straight into the wall socket. Perhaps, as you say, a surge in power may account for it.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You haven't run a proper test at all.

It is likely the slow speeds come from contention on your broadband, this is why the speeds are bad sometimes (peak usage time) and fine the rest of the time. Test this properly before you conclude the homeplugs are at fault (they probably are not).

A proper speed test is with a device plugged directly into your broadband router with ethernet cable, NOT via wifi or via powerline.

FYI I also have rubbish eircom at the moment, and I notice the speed fluctuate between 5-6Mbps and 2Mbps depending on contention etc. I am using powerline adapters too and these are definitely not at fault.

• Advertisement
Advertisement