Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fishing on the river in athlone.

Options
  • 10-05-2013 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭

Is it ok to fish off the pier, or side walk in Athlone?

I want to fish but its not clear as to where I can go, and where I need to pay for it(and where I need to buy the permit from)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

syklops wrote: »
    Is it ok to fish off the pier, or side walk in Athlone?

I want to fish but its not clear as to where I can go, and where I need to pay for it(and where I need to buy the permit from)

Head down to Burgess Park, you won't have to pay for it, not sure about the fishing though :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

What do you want to fish for??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

A bicycle whale.

As far as I know a permit is needed but I know lads who have been fishing along the shannon for years without one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Im new to the sport so anything with fins and a tail. Something nice tasting would be a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

Im new to the sport so anything with fins and a tail. Something nice tasting would be a bonus.

I wouldn't eat a thing out of the Shannon (I've seen too many shopping trollies) but i wouldn't mind a bit of fishing for the sport of it. Anyway thats enough of my personal input. According to citizens information the rules around fishing are

[/QUOTE]
    • The only legal way to catch freshwater fish in Ireland is by rod and line. It is illegal for one person to use more than two rods at a time.
    • It is illegal to use live fish as bait.
    • You must obtain a State Fishing licence, tags and a separate fishing permit in order to fish for salmon and sea trout. Prices and duration of permits will vary from €20 to €50
    • Most fisheries close on 30 September each year (with a few exceptions that close on various dates between 15 September and 12 October). Check with your local IFI office for further information.
    • It is illegal to sell rod-caught salmon or sea trout over 40cm between 1 January and 31 October in any year.
    • On some waters, "fly-only" regulations or other restrictions may in place. Check with the owner of the waterway or your local Fisheries District Office for more information. [/QUOTE]
    You can call inland fisheries Ireland on 01 8842600 or email info@fisheriesireland.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The only legal way to catch freshwater fish in Ireland is by rod and line

As opposed to the old Crocodile Dundee trick of dynamite and boat?

Thanks for the advice. I'll put the pan back in the cupboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

I agree we shouldn't be restricted when it comes to explosives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

If you catch any pike please release them....they are protected now thankfully.
    Gone are the days when you'd see a cruiser full of Germans with pike hanging off the back of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

If you catch any pike please release them....they are protected now thankfully.
    Gone are the days when you'd see a cruiser full of Germans with pike hanging off the back of it.

The Germans were always a sure way to make a few bob when I was a young lad. They loved to buy jars of worms or Vorms as they pronounced them :D when they were moored for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,441 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, edible fish as in trout are usually caught up in Lough Ree though you can occasionally catch one down by the lock gates. Can't advise as to the legalities as am way out of date on that stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I use to fish off the lock gates, all I ever caught was damned perch though. That was about 20 years ago though.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

I use to fish off the lock gates, all I ever caught was damned perch though. That was about 20 years ago though.

The only things I heard of being caught down there were STDs

Advertisement