Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freddy the mover

Options
  • 11-05-2013 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

My mother who lives alone and is barely able to walk recently purchased a used couch from freddy the mover and had it brought to her house. He dropped it in to the house on a friday evening and left the couch inside the kitchen blocking the entire room and making it almost impossible for her to do anything, she couldn't use the cooker or the washing machine or get to the sink she could only eat from the fridge or one press. I unfortunately was away at the time and she had no one else she could call and she didn't want to ring Freddy as he would charge her again to remove it.
    I personally find it disgusting that he could clearly see she would have never have been able to move the couch and he just left it resting against a cooker blocking and entire kitchen and left. I know my mother is worse for not doing anything about it, but she's a quiet woman and doesn't like to get into conflicts especially when she's alone.
    Either way I won't be using freddy to move any of my stuff and neither will anyone I know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

Xyo wrote: »
    My mother who lives alone and is barely able to walk recently purchased a used couch from freddy the mover and had it brought to her house. He dropped it in to the house on a friday evening and left the couch inside the kitchen blocking the entire room and making it almost impossible for her to do anything, she couldn't use the cooker or the washing machine or get to the sink she could only eat from the fridge or one press. I unfortunately was away at the time and she had no one else she could call and she didn't want to ring Freddy as he would charge her again to remove it.
    I personally find it disgusting that he could clearly see she would have never have been able to move the couch and he just left it resting against a cooker blocking and entire kitchen and left. I know my mother is worse for not doing anything about it, but she's a quiet woman and doesn't like to get into conflicts especially when she's alone.
    Either way I won't be using freddy to move any of my stuff and neither will anyone I know.

Just to play devils advocate, why did your mother not say this to him at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭amber69

I know my mother is worse for not doing anything about it, but she's a quiet woman and doesn't like to get into conflicts especially when she's alone

That's the reason

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

Typical Irish response, Feng shui is probably not the drivers strong point but if she or yourself had asked he probably would have put it wherever ye wanted. Have you tried sending a pm to his facebook page or did you just think going online and giving another small buisness a kick in the balls was the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Most older people are to quiet or to frightened to say anything when something like this happens. The delivery man should be ashamed of himself for leaving the couch where he did. I was very sorry to read the way your Mother was treated by such an insensitive person, if Freddy was any good he should feel ashamed at the service he has provided your Mother. You should have made a complaint to this fellow I would not recommend him after reading this. I'll tell you if I was your mother's neighbour I would gladly have moved this couch where this driver should have in the first place. So much for the nature of the Irish what has happened to us. Does she have any helpful neighbour's at all. Respect for your elders is a basic tennant of a decent society. I am disgusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

gobo99 wrote: »
    Typical Irish response, Feng shui is probably not the drivers strong point but if she or yourself had asked he probably would have put it wherever ye wanted. Have you tried sending a pm to his facebook page or did you just think going online and giving another small buisness a kick in the balls was the best option.

While I hate to give negative feedback about a local business, I don't think i'm out of order letting people on boards know my experience of the business so if they should ever decide to use it at least they know to be specific where they want furniture etc
    Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    Most older people are to quiet or to frightened to say anything when something like this happens. The delivery man should be ashamed of himself for leaving the couch where he did. I was very sorry to read the way your Mother was treated by such an insensitive person, if Freddy was any good he should feel ashamed at the service he has provided your Mother. You should have made a complaint to this fellow I would not recommend him after reading this. I'll tell you if I was your mother's neighbour I would gladly have moved this couch where this driver should have in the first place. So much for the nature of the Irish what has happened to us. Does she have any helpful neighbour's at all. Respect for your elders is a basic tennant of a decent society. I am disgusted.

Unfortunately the only neighbor she has any contact with is as old as herself and wouldn't have been much use either; she just waited the weekend until I was back to put it in the right place, which only took me maximum five minutes which annoys me more because he could have easily done it.

• Advertisement

While I hate to give negative feedback about a local business, I don't think i'm out of order letting people on boards know my experience of the business so if they should ever decide to use it at least they know to be specific where they want furniture etc

Unfortunately the only neighbor she has any contact with is as old as herself and wouldn't have been much use either; she just waited the weekend until I was back to put it in the right place, which only took me maximum five minutes which annoys me more because he could have easily done it.

Very sorry to hear that, its really sad to think so many old people are so isolated today. This job didn't require brains just basic common sense and the duty of good service would have been enough. A few years ago my wife who suffers with a bad back ordered a kitchen table and chairs from a local company that has since ceased trading and two big straping lads made the delivery and left the lot outside the back door. She had to ring me in work so I came straight home checked the goods and found a big chip taken out of the table. I made a phone call and recieved an apology but asked was I sure we didn't damage the table trying to get it in. We have double doors in our back so that was hardly likely. I told this person to collect his goods from where they were left and demanded a refund which we got, seems the boss didn't have much control over his staff as they said it was very akward which I laughed at and he just apoligized again. We went to a furniture store in Clonmel and they were absolutly brilliant couldn't have been more helpful on delivery that the wife gave the two lads a tip which they were forced to take. They are still trading today from the old Regal Cinema site in Clonmel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I think you are offline complaining pubicly about this guy if you have not made your complaint to him privately.
    A very Irish response.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Small or large business it does matter any company behaving like this deserves as you put it "a kick in the balls" ,

maybe if we had more people willing to name and shame ,we would be in a much better shape as a country and society.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    [/B]

Small or large business it does matter any company behaving like this deserves as you put it "a kick in the balls" ,

maybe if we had more people willing to name and shame ,we would be in a much better shape as a country and society.

like I said its an Irish trait, being unable to complain properly. If you receive bad service then you should seek redress with the person serving you. If you haven't given them any chance to rectify the situation then bad mouthing them online is a cheap shot.

A typical Irish person will always say everything is great when asked by a waiter in a restaurant, as soon as they get out the door they complain to everyone who will listen. But how can they make amends or compensate if they don't know there's a problem?

like I said its an Irish trait, being unable to complain properly. If you receive bad service then you should seek redress with the person serving you. If you haven't given them any chance to rectify the situation then bad mouthing them online is a cheap shot.

A typical Irish person will always say everything is great when asked by a waiter in a restaurant, as soon as they get out the door they complain to everyone who will listen. But how can they make amends or compensate if they don't know there's a problem?

Yes you have a valid point there but I think in general people avoid confrontation as it can be very embarrassing. I got a pint in a well known pub that is known for food as well a while back and it was stink. I complained to the young barman and he said take it up with the owner as he had served me. Right no problem there I thought so I did when he came back behind the counter. All I got in reply was nobody else complained so I got into a heated
    argument with this fellow asking him to taste it. He did and poured me a new pint and slapped it down in front of me with the comment I hope this meets your high standards. I drank up and had something to eat elsewhere. The funny thing was I asked a costumer who was drinking the same brew as me how was his pint and he said not great. Seems that people were frightened of this character as he does not have a great manner as I will testify to. This premises is still doing a great business and I have gone back there many times since but I have noticed the owner is never around these days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So hang on,

- Item was moved into the premises, no instruction given on exactly where it should be put.
    - It was put in a awkward place but nothing was said to the chap when he was at the premises about this
    - Nobody has bothered to contact the guy to even ask them to come back and move it.

Instead you come onto boards.ie and complain about poor service.

Seriously?
    If this is the case then its completely unfair to any business, not just a local small business. You've not even given them a chance to resolve a problem that they were never given direction for in the first place!

You can't blame a company for something if the customer wouldn't even tell the business what they want,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

I don't think it would have caused any conflict for your mother to ask the man to move it where she wanted it to be, its hard when your elderly and on your own etc etc, but in this instance nothing would have happened except he would have moved it where she wanted it.

Shin

Cabaal wrote: »
    So hang on,

- Item was moved into the premises, no instruction given on exactly where it should be put.
    - It was put in a awkward place but nothing was said to the chap when he was at the premises about this
    - Nobody has bothered to contact the guy to even ask them to come back and move it.

Instead you come onto boards.ie and complain about poor service.

Seriously?
    If this is the case then its completely unfair to any business, not just a local small business. You've not even given them a chance to resolve a problem that they were never given direction for in the first place!

You can't blame a company for something if the customer wouldn't even tell the business what they want,

Yes I suppose you are right sure people are so dumb today they have to put signs up in toilets of restaurants saying "Please wash your hands." The delivery was made to an old person and left in a very awkward place sure why should a driver have to use a bit of common sense its not part of good business after all is it. A satisfied customer is the best advert you can have I was told when I first started work. I don't know if people are aware the bad name Waterford is getting for poor customer care lately. I live 20 km from town and I am shocked by some of the comments I hear about sloppy customer care in a lot of the main shops in town. People around here will travel elsewhere where at least you are greeted with a smile and and a thank you when you receive your change. I'm only listening to peoples comments now but it would make you wonder why Waterford is deserted on weekends and neighbouring towns are not doing to bad. Why bother complaining in Waterford when service elsewhere is much more civil and there is no need for complaint. Sure after a happy day shopping don't women go home with a smile on their faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

this thread is a joke......if you problem with the company contact them...if its true the mover put the item there on purpose i give up

My mother must be worse than I thought expecting a couch she buys not to be left lying on a cooker. As i've said already I wasn't there when she purchased the couch knowing her i'd imagine he brought it in left it on the cooker and she didn't have the guts to say anything to him. Yes I know that's wrong but its nowhere near as wrong as leaving a couch blocking an entire room on an elderly woman who has no possible way to move it.

Also as i've already said when I got back I moved the couch all of which took five minutes so I really don't see any point in me contacting freddy the mover to say "you left a couch in my mothers kitchen blocking the whole room but it's ok cause I fixed it but i'm really not happy", there's no possible answer or nothing he can do to remedy the situation. The only reason I posted here was to just let people know to maybe specify where they want to their purchased couches placed as apparently lying against a cooker is now a reasonable place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 beanieb

The driver should have used common sense and not left the couch where he did. Who in god's name puts a couch leaning onto a cooker. I would contact the man himself and complain so at least he might use a bit of common sense in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    [/B]

its a pity we are only getting one side of the story. cant believe you get on here bad mouthing. would you not consider ringing him and getting his side of the story before you decide to be judge and jury. i would have thought if you had a genuine grieviance you would have contacted him to air your views

I dont think anybody would doubt what you say was shoddy customer service, or sounds like it, its your method of dealing with it that people have the issue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

gowley wrote: »
    its a pity we are only getting one side of the story. cant believe you get on here bad mouthing. would you not consider ringing him and getting his side of the story before you decide to be judge and jury. i would have thought if you had a genuine grieviance you would have contacted him to air your views

Think you have mixed me up with the OP ,
    however
    Shoddy service like this has being put up with for far to long.This treatmeat /service just didn't start with the OP's mother IMO but comes across as normal behaviour OR/AND lazyness pick up over the years ,which the owners or bosses are ultimately accountable for.,,,
    So maybe a bit of bad PR will help future customers and may even help the business get its act in order..
    Whether its in business or public life as a nation we have to learn to speak up...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I dont think anybody would doubt what you say was shoddy customer service, or sounds like it, its your method of dealing with it that people have the issue with.

The least you could have given him is the right to reply before criticising him for all and sundry to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

The least you could have given him is the right to reply before criticising him for all and sundry to see.

Big Burly mover versus frail old granny and yee choose the mover. think he lost his right to reply with his i dont give a F'ck attitude thinking no one else will know, This old lady wont say boo to me so ill just f'ck the thing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

Big Burly mover versus frail old granny and yee choose the mover. think he lost his right to reply with his i dont give a F'ck attitude thinking no one else will know, This old lady wont say boo to me so ill just f'ck the thing there.
    again you dont know what happened. neither does the op because he never bothered to lift the phone and find out. i know if this happened to my mother the first thing i would do is lift the phone or call to the delivery guy. its easy come on here and slander people without any facts. he obviously wasnt that put out if all he did was stick a post on boards

do you write headlines for the Sun ?

do you write headlines for the Sun ?

Oh thanks im a writer now! Are you related to the mover!

If you dont like what someone writes just ignore them!

If you hadnt had posted on here the post woulda died off!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

The sad thing is, that five days later we still haven't heard Freddy the movers side of the story.

Has the op even had dialogue with him or just content to blacken his name online.

I have no idea who Freddy the mover is but as mud sticks, I have already got doubts concerning his service, which as the few sane and level headed have already pointed out could be totally untrue and very damaging.

I eagerly await the other side of the story.

If it does appear that he left a couch leaning against a cooker and just f*cked off then fair enough, criticise and warn people about the twat, but to name and shame somebody especially someone in business in this climate without any proof of wrongdoing is bang out of order and unjustified.

Maybe, the op put this matter to bed and not drag a probably decent hardworking man through any more hopefully unwarranted character assassination.

The sad thing is, that five days later we still haven't heard Freddy the movers side of the story.

Has the op even had dialogue with him or just content to blacken his name online.

I have no idea who Freddy the mover is but as mud sticks, I have already got doubts concerning his service, which as the few sane and level headed have already pointed out could be totally untrue and very damaging.

If it does appear that he left a couch leaning against a cooker and just f*cked off then fair enough, criticise and warn people about the twat, but to name and shame somebody especially someone in business in this climate without any proof of wrongdoing is bang out of order and unjustified.

Maybe, the op put this matter to bed and not drag a probably decent hardworking man through any more hopefully unwarranted character assassination.

Once again i'll state that I have no intention of contacting Freddy the mover, because there is no benefit to me ringing him. He can't come and fix the problem because I fixed it and an apology over the phone won't help in anyway. Also I didn't make this thread to tarnish his good name I made it to advise people if they should choose his service to make sure they get their furniture where they want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

I think this thread will benefit Freddy as I never heard of "Freddy the Mover" before this, it's one of those names you won't forget in a hurry.

Oh thanks im a writer now! Are you related to the mover!

If you dont like what someone writes just ignore them!

If you hadnt had posted on here the post woulda died off!
    It's not That I didn't like what you wrote I just thought it was sensationalist and way over the top.
    As regarding ignoring you, I try I try but your a persistant bugger who like the last word.
    WORD

It's not That I didn't like what you wrote I just thought it was sensationalist and way over the top.
    As regarding ignoring you, I try I try but your a persistant bugger who like the last word.
    WORD
    Ye know I wasnt talking about not replying to me!:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

i found freddie to be sound we bought a couch in cost plus sofa's and had freddie deliver it, he asked where i wanted it and told him i'd look after that myself and he could just leave it where it stood on its side in the sitting room, maybe your mam should have told him where to place it as he aint a mind reader

Advertisement