Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband - Serious Problem!

Options
  • 11-05-2013 12:45am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've been a Sky Broadband/Phone customer since April 18.
    I checked online today as this is my first official Sky broadband billing period.
    Was told €75 per month for Unlimited Broadband, call and tv.
    I currently have the 2 months free movies offer.
    My bill is €123.62!
    This includes €3+ call charges that I'm aware of.
    This bill is simply outrageous.
    Was told the bill would be €75 so that's what I expect to get.
    Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
    Also, I simply don't understand why they bill in advance...
    (This thread was started in two places and my apologies, I just feel as though it is relevant to both topics.)
    Here's my bill.
    Offer ending
    30 Mar - 29 May: Your Viewing Subscription Discounted
    Thank you for adding Sky Broadband and Sky Talk to your subscription

This is your first bill for these products. The addition of these products may change your regular payment amount.
    Help understanding my bill

Product change
    30 May: downgraded Entertainment Extra with Movies to Entertainment Extra
    We'll only charge you for the days you use a service or subscription. If you cancel a service that we charge for in advance, you may see credits on your bill, refunding advance payments that would have covered the service or subscription you cancelled.

Any changes you have made to your account will be reflected in your next bill
    Product change
    05 May: added McAfee Parental Control
    This bill was generated before you made changes to your account; the effect of these changes will be shown on your next bill.

Sky TV
    Hide details€35.00
    Billing Period Charges Discounts
    Entertainment Extra 30 May - 21 Jun €25.97
    Entertainment Extra with Movies 22 May - 29 May €16.26
    Viewing Subscription Discounted 22 May - 29 May €7.23 CR
    Yours at no extra cost
    Sky TV total: €35.00
    Sky Broadband
    Hide details €21.29

You've added Sky Broadband Unlimited
    You have three charges for Sky Broadband Unlimited.
    This is because your previous payment had already been taken when you added Sky Broadband Unlimited.
    We therefore had to add your first partial month's charge and first full month's charge to this bill, as well as your ongoing monthly charge billed one month in advance.

Sky Broadband Unlimited 22 May - 21 Jun €10.00
    Sky Broadband Unlimited 22 Apr - 21 May €10.00
    Sky Broadband Unlimited 18 Apr - 21 Apr €1.29
    Sky Broadband total: €21.29
    Sky Talk on 05991****
    Hide details €67.33

You've added Sky Talk
    You have three charges for Sky Talk.
    This is because your previous payment had already been taken when you added Sky Talk.
    We therefore had to add your first partial month's charge and first full month's charge to this bill, as well as your ongoing monthly charge billed one month in advance.

Sky Talk 22 May - 21 Jun €30.00
    Sky Talk 22 Apr - 21 May €30.00
    Sky Talk 18 Apr - 21 Apr €3.87
    Yours at no extra cost
    Call Charges
    Domestic Calls (1 call) €0.17
    Mobile Calls (7 calls) €2.15
    Non-Geographic Calls (6 calls) €1.14
    Sky Talk total: €67.33
    Itemised call charges
    Graphs
    Call charge alerts
    Additional Products and Services
    Show details €0.00
    Payment due on 22 May
    €123.62

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Hi, I've been a Sky Broadband/Phone customer since April 18.
    I checked online today as this is my first official Sky broadband billing period.
    Was told €75 per month for Unlimited Broadband, call and tv.
    I currently have the 2 months free movies offer.
    My bill is €123.62!
    This includes €3+ call charges that I'm aware of.
    This bill is simply outrageous.
    Was told the bill would be €75 so that's what I expect to get.
    Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
    Also, I simply don't understand why they bill in advance...
    (This thread was started in two places and my apologies, I just feel as though it is relevant to both topics.)

Installation or activation fee? Most companies bill in advance for services provided so that's nothing to be surprised about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Log onto Sky.ie to view your exact bill, or contact the billing team, they'll explain everything

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

DarkJager wrote: »
    Installation or activation fee? Most companies bill in advance for services provided so that's nothing to be surprised about.
    Nope nothing, free hub included.
    This is what my bill says,
    It's large....
    Edit: I'll just add it to my original post.

FWIW, my guess is you're on Entertainment Extra, BB Unlimited and Freetime calls.

For the bb, you would be billed from Activation date until bill payment date, then one month bb in advance from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

How long of a period were you billed for?

• Advertisement

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    FWIW, my guess is you're on Entertainment Extra, BB Unlimited and Freetime calls.

For the bb, you would be billed from Activation date until bill payment date, then one month bb in advance from there.
    How long of a period were you billed for?

I'm so confused.
    They seem to be billing for April, May and June!

Yep, as I thought. Basically you went active on the 18th April, this is too close to the 21st of April for it to be added to your bill.

With Sky, you pay BB, line rental and TV one month in advance. This wasn't possible with the BB and Talk, so it was added to the next billing cycle. Your bill will revert to the €75 (plus out of bundle costs) onthe 21st of June.

Basically. 3 days of April, Full Months of May and June, on this bill only.

Yep, as I thought. Basically you went active on the 18th April, this is too close to the 21st of April for it to be added to your bill.

With Sky, you pay BB, line rental and TV one month in advance. This wasn't possible with the BB and Talk, so it was added to the next billing cycle. Your bill will revert to the €75 (plus out of bundle costs) onthe 21st of June.

Basically. 3 days of April, Full Months of May and June, on this bill only.
    Hmm, thanks for that feeling better now.
    Sky really need to let you know how their billing system works...
    So next month (June) my bill will be €75+ any call charges?
    Thanks for the help.

Hmm, thanks for that feeling better now.
    Sky really need to let you know how their billing system works...
    So next month (May) my bill will be €75+ any call charges?
    Thanks for the help.

It's confusing, even for those that work with it every day. As I said, your next bill (Due 21st June) should be for €75 plus out of bundle costs

It's confusing, even for those that work with it every day. As I said, your next bill (Due 21st June) should be for €75 plus out of bundle costs

Thanks again, I'll ring tomorrow anyway just to help put my Mam to rest over it.
    She was basically freaking out :P
    Again thanks so much.

• Advertisement

Thanks again, I'll ring tomorrow anyway just to help put my Mam to rest over it.
    She was basically freaking out :P
    Again thanks so much.

No problem, the guys in Derry or Dublin will just tell you what I've told you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

It's not really that hard to explain to people.

I used to work for a mobile operator and I always told people that their first bill could be up to twice the amount of their billing plan, because it was charged a month in advance. So, a €50 per month plan could see a first bill being up to €100, or more if they make out of plan calls. With that knowledge, I have to say I never had a panicked customer, but I can't say the same for some of my colleagues who never bothered telling people this and instead, relied on the "first bill letter".

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Sean1975

i am having the same problem i received a bill for €168. and i am meant to get 1 month free line rental and 3 months free broadband and the deducted the broadband last month and added it back on this month. i am awaiting a return call and its bye bye sky after 16 yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I take it you signed a new contract, make sure you state you are breaking the contract under the cooling off period, if possible or because of Sky's in ability to correctly provide an invoice for their service.

There is no law as such covering this but if you did go to the SCC you could have a case to only pay for what you have used and get out of the rest of the contract.

Do you have a breakdown of the bill. Are the free months at the end of the year?

Sean, have you access to the breakdown of your bill from Sky.ie?

no they admit i should have received it but they did not add it also they are billing for movies when i am entitled to free movies. They have admitted they are wrong so the contract is null and void. They are offering good will gestures not much but is it worth the hassle

Sean1975 wrote: »
    no they admit i should have received it but they did not add it also they are billing for movies when i am entitled to free movies. They have admitted they are wrong so the contract is null and void. They are offering good will gestures not much but is it worth the hassle

They'll sort it out for you, once they know where the issue lies. Mistakes can be made, we're all human after all

*Just to clarify, my views are my own, I don't represent sky on this forum in any way.

No they admitted and gave me credit if i have issues i am very quick to state them but they sorted it quickly enough

Sean1975 wrote: »
    No they admitted and gave me credit if i have issues i am very quick to state them but they sorted it quickly enough

Good to hear

Advertisement