Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport renewal

Options
  • 11-05-2013 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

We're trying to renew an Irish passport for the first time in the US.
    We have the forms and photos already but we can't find anyone to sign the witness section.
    We've tried two banks, a police station and a post office. They all say they don't sign passport forms. The post office will only do a US passport.

We're not a member of any churches, don't have kids so that rules out any school authorities and we don't have a doctor over here so we're unsure of where to go to get it signed.

Has anyone been through this and found somewhere to sign the form?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

What bank are you with? When you say you have been to two banks, do you mean the ones that you bank at? When I needed my passport forms signed, a bank official at my bank (Wells Fargo) did it for me. I couldn't just walk in. I had to call up and make an appointment with him. He was the banks only notary public & he as was the only one who does stuff like that, it couldn't be just any one.

Any notary will do to act as a witness to signing forms. There are loads of them listed in the phone book, but you'll probably have to pay for the service, unless you can get the bank to do it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Yes it was two banks we bank with.
    I have had something notarized from them free of charge before with no hassle, but they wouldn't do the passport. Both banks said it was company policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

I acted as a witness for some friends in NY as I'm still an Irish accountant. T be honest the thing is a joke - I just scrawled my name and said my proffesion was an accountant.

Theirs got processed no problem - so may be see can you find an accountant.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nungesser

you could go to a Notary, they will charge you but it wouldn't be to much I don't think, look up Public Notary's for your area. A Notary acts like an official witness for the signing of legal documents

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Recognition Scene

I went to a police station the first time, the cop managed to smear ink all over the photos when signing the back of them and destroyed them... After that I just went to one of the notaries in work. A lot of the secretaries double as notaries in my place, may be worth asking around your office?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

My bank signed Section 7 for my daughter's renewal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭dartup

your not talking to the right person,get the manager in the bank,which 2 banks refused you.go to bank branch were you opened your account
    Member of the Clergy School Principal/Vice Principal Judge/Magistrate Practicing Lawyer Accountant Medical DoctorBank Manager/Assistant Bank Manager Elected Public Representative Notary Public

Bank Is not an option guys.
    I've been to two different banks, both of which I have multiple accounts and have had a different form notarized before, and they refused to sign it.
    It was the bank managers we spoke with.

It seems out here passports are only dealt with by the post office so no one else signs them. It's clearly a local issue since no one else had hassle.

I'll try get on to the embassy.

Why bother calling the embassy? I don't know what they can do for you. If you need your stuff signed, you need it signed. If you don't have access to the sources that would normally do it for free, get out the phone book, look up the notary services listed in your area, and go with the one who'll charge you the least to do it. It sucks that you'll have to pay for a service that banks will do for free in other states, but thems the breaks !

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Why bother calling the embassy? I don't know what they can do for you. If you need your stuff signed, you need it signed. If you don't have access to the sources that would normally do it for free, get out the phone book, look up the notary services listed in your area, and go with the one who'll charge you the least to do it. It sucks that you'll have to pay for a service that banks will do for free in other states, but thems the breaks !

The Embassy can possibly give me a list of places in my area that will accommodate us.
    It's not about paying for it, that doesn't bother me. It's about trying to actually find someone willing to sign it.

Mods you can lock the thread if you want as it seems I'm in a different position to others here and cannot go the routes mentioned.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. Hopefully it will help others. :)

• Advertisement

If you don't mind paying, then why not just go to a notary & get it over and done with? They do that kind of thing all day long. It's not that complicated, or am I missing something?

You're missing something.
    Everyone out here refers us to the post office. However the guy at the post office refuses to do an Irish one as they have different procedures.

As I said, I'll figure it out. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Got mine renewed last year. Showed a cop my US driving licence, he signed the application, I sent it off to Boston and had the new one in less than 3 weeks. I don't understand the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Just search this list for your state then click city,county or zip code & enter details.

http://www.123notary.com/find-a-notary-public.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kmafitz

On a Different Note..2 passport application applied since begin of april.. still not recieved thats about 8 weeks,, application set to issued since 31/5/13.. any ideas how long more flying 26 th june.. sent them an email yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Try this: http://www.dfa.ie/home/?id=2859

You will definitely have your passports before the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kmafitz

tried that been on issed since 31/5/2013.. is there another Tracking stage after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

I dont know why you are having such a problem. Even UPS has notaries. Look them up on Google in your area.

Advertisement