Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FA Cup Final 11/05/13 Manchester City Vs. Wigan Athletic

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Things could have been oh so different if super Mario was still around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

miralize wrote: »
    Why did this turn into yet another United v City thread? Congrats Wigan!

Doesn't it always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

CSF wrote: »
    It was to allow Toure push further forward. He used to do the same with De Jong, remember he did it against Newcastle and it saved the title.

Barry could of stayed back though and just let Toure roam forward. There was no need for Rodwell at all. We could of done with Dzeko a lot earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Zaph wrote: »
    He's a beast on the pitch, but a genuinely classy guy off it. He was generously applauding Wigan as they received the trophy and some of his team mates could certainly learn a thing or two from him.

Absolutely concur!! A brilliant player and a class act on and off the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The reason why I hate FA Cup Final Day. 40 years later and it still keeps getting mentioned. :(

I wasn't even born but it's not as if I can celebrate anything else :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

Pj! wrote: »
    It's possible many of the players, Kompany included, are disgusted to hear that their club is about to sack their manager.

Writing has been on the wall for a while, but maybe you're right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I think Rafa would be a great man to come into city and sort them out. He definitely seems to have come out on top with Chelsea in shocking circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

niallo27 wrote: »
    I think Rafa would be a great man to come into city and sort them out. He definitely seems to have come out on top with Chelsea in shocking circumstances.

I'd have got Chelsea top 4 with that squad. Rafa is a bluffer imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

He's a beast on the pitch, but a genuinely classy guy off it. He was generously applauding Wigan as they received the trophy and some of his team mates could certainly learn a thing or two from him.

He's a class act, gracious in both victory and defeat, and a great defender. I'm a big fan of his, but him being the City captain makes that hard!

Rafa's a bluffer!!! :pac: GTFO!!

• Advertisement

Would you have got them to a european cup final though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Chelsea were four points off top when Benitez took over. He should have gotten a lot nearer United, and most certainly should have had Champions League football in hand a lot more securely and a lot earlier than he managed. He's done no more than an average job for Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Would you have got them to a european cup final though.

One thing that would't change if Mancini left and benitez came in is strange substitutions and team selections.
    Both are well adept to the odd head scratcher

Chelsea were four points off top when Benitez took over. He should have gotten a lot nearer United, and most certainly should have had Champions League football in hand a lot more securely and a lot earlier than he managed. He's done no more than an average job for Chelsea.

All the clubs at the top were only a few points off utd when Rafa took over, I think its more credit to utds unreal form that chelsea are so far behind rather than the job Rafa did.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Wtf do Chelsea and Man U's league performance have to do with the FA Cup Final? :confused:

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Really is a great story.

A sort of Serendipity perhaps? For Whelan to share his greatest moment with his club, the boy he supported as a boy, he had to break his leg with Blackburn in the very same place, 53 years earlier.

Roy of the Rovers/Hollywood stuff really

He had to put up with complete and utter bull**** from Chelsea fans at every home game with their cardboard cut-outs and A1 signs declaring their disliking towards him. It was only when he told them basically to STFU and support their team at home that their home form improved.

They should have done better in the League Cup semi final, no doubt about that. An FA Cup semi final exit to the Champions at Wembley? Meh. Could have gone one way or the other, always a close call.

He's guaranteed Champions League football for a team who finished sixth the previous season.

He couldn't do much about the Champions League with one match left after the mess Di Matteo left, so on that front a European final is a decent parting gift.

Wtf do Chelsea and Man U's league performance have to do with the FA Cup Final? :confused:

We are discussing the future of the city manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

yeah a man who has won 2 la liga titles with a team not named barca or real, won a european cup and reached another final is a bluffer :rolleyes:

west brom were 5 points off the top...

man utd won 18, drew 4 and lost 2 (one to rafas chelsea) since di matteo got the sack, chelsea would have needed to go on one of the greatest league runs of all time to have gotten alot closer to man utd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

So is this still the Fa Cup thread or what then?

• Advertisement

cambo2008 wrote: »
    So is this still the Fa Cup thread or what then?

Well its turning into do city need a change of manager, i dont see the problem with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Well its turning into do city need a change of manager, i dont see the problem with that.

Last few pages have been about Rafa, United, Serie A...

Barely a mention of Wigan anywhere.
    Would the City superthread not be the place for that kind of thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Well done Wigan. Delighted they won, and it was mentioned on telly that the goal was very similar to Lawrie Sanchez' one against Liverpool for Wimbledon in the 88 cup final

Fuhrer wrote: »
    For his Serie A titles, you have to remember he didnt actually win the first one and the other two all the big clubs had either been relegated or had massive points deductions.

And then, One league and a FA cup is a pretty poor return on half a billion pounds

Spot on. And don't forget his woeful record in Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Well done, Wigan. Hope they stay up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Well done Wigan, absolutely delighted they won and kept City trophy-less at the same time :p

I hope the stay in the Premier League but it's a big ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

False 9 wrote: »
    It's the one thing they can't buy.

A factor I think Mourinho (and later Di Matteo) brought to club were throwing money around, to their credit.

I don't rate Mancini's man management. He always seemed a completely separate entity to the players. I'm not saying he should be pally with them but..just an observation.

Definitely agree on the man management. It's shocking at times.

Therefore, I hope they keep him. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Really really disappointed to have missed the match. I honestly didn't see that coming.

Brilliant stuff. That's why we watch football. Look at the emotion in these 2 gifs:

Scharner cries into a Wigan flag - a player who probably thought he would never get anywhere near winning an FA Cup trophy. What a moment it must have been.

iziEmXWRUQakq.gif

An elderly Wigan fan looks like he's about to have a heart attack after they score. This guy probably watched them non-league. Could he ever have imagined this?

ioE9moBR9rraI.gif

As has been said - a victory for football today. Well done Wigan. We often laugh at the tag 'magic of the FA Cup' but that win deserves all the hyperbole and sentimentality it will get. There is no way anyone can be cynical about the FA Cup after that.

Absolutely fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Morzadec wrote: »

Scharner cries into a Wigan flag - a player who probably thought he would never get anywhere near winning an FA Cup trophy. What a moment it must have been.

I love Scharner. A better footballer than he's probably given credit for, and always plays, imo, to the best of his abilities.

He never lacks passion for the game either. Chuffed for him.

His interview after Wigan's semi-final victory was also really good. It was obvious, even then, that he was delighted just to be in the final - never mind winning it.

Also, honourable mention for Vincent Kompany. A warrior on the pitch, and a class act off it - as stated previously by Zaph.

I already held the guy in high regard, but his tweet about Ferguson the other day following his retirement just cemented my belief. I'd love to have him at Utd.

Edit:

This isn't a dig at city, but the like of Kompany and Zabaleta deserve to have better players around them, and not just a bunch of highly paid mercs. I'm not saying that the whole city squad is full of mercs, but there are more than there should ever be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Amazing cycle really. Dave Whelan got £400 compensation for breaking his leg in 1960. Out of that £400 he buys his first business which is so successful it leads to him starting the JJB empire which leads to him buying Wigan in 1995, which leads to the Premier League and going back to Wembley to claim the FA cup as chairman, 53 years on. Couldn't happen to a better football man tbh

his wife told him it was a bad idea to buy man u in the 80's did you see that

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »
    his wife told him it was a bad idea to buy man u in the 80's did you see that

But if you can achieve success with your home town club there cant be any more of an intrinsic delight am i right?

Would Dave Whelan, Wigan born and bred swap Wigans cup win today for any of United's titles in fairness? Didnt realise that Whelan was in for United though to be honest. He wasnt the only one to pull the plug either if you remember Michael Knighton and his consortium in 1990

If i can be somewhat spiritual for a moment, today makes me wonder an awful lot about the little intricacies of fate. Would Dave Whelan swap today for the billions he could have reaped with Man U? I dont think so. Personally if i was a wealthy man like him per se and i had the choice of earning hundreds of millions in revenue or Tipp winning the next All Ireland id pick the All Ireland any day of the week (in either code i might add)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Ridiculous kick off time. Ridiculous that it's not the last game of the season. If they carry on this crap the FA cup will be as irrelevant as the league cup.

I remember man utd's 1990 cup run. I had a video of all the matches leading up to the final and a video of the full final. Still one of my favourite memories as a UTD fan.

League cup, irrelevant yes, but the last decade has displayed some cracking finals.

Brilliant to see the beauty of the cup final with lowly Wigan winning with a 11 million pound team .

Whatever about other domestic cups in other countries , the FA Cup still has relevancy in my opinion.(I am an Arsenal supporter, so you can understand, hell win the league cup, the only "major" domestic title Wenger has failed to win) It is a joke that it is not the last game of the domestic season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Would Dave Whelan, Wigan born and bred swap Wigans cup win today for any of United's titles in fairness? Didnt realise that Whelan was in for United though to be honest. He wasnt the only one to pull the plug either if you remember Michael Knighton and his consortium in 1990
    Brilliant to see the beauty of the cup final with lowly Wigan winning with a 11 million pound team .
    11 million was all Man United was going to cost him! He had basically agreed on the deal, went home and told his missus, who said that rival fans to United wouldn't shop at his store anymore.

'Do I regret pulling out of the United deal financially? Yes, of course. I was stupid – I was sitting on a gold mine, but I got cold feet."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Saab Ed wrote: »
    I hate city, openly admit it. Not jealousy or envy, more disgust. Today is a fantastic day for football.

City were an ordinary team. Some Arabs turned up, spent billions and won the league .... Just. There's some very well run football clubs in England who'll probably never get what they deserve but Wigan did today. A real symbolic two fingers to being an oil Barron hoar. The City project is proof that its more than cash that you need.

This season is absolutely embarrassing failure for them and in this I rejoice.

That's some serious bitterness there, and to think people (probably half of the thankers included) say City fans have it bad :o

You also say it like we've achieved nothing yet it's the opposite, and pissing off people like you just proves it. Long may it continue.

Bigtoe107 wrote: »
    Agree with this, I thought that was disgraceful and came across as very petulant. Did Kompany throw his on the ground or am I imagining it?

Still everybody can lose, wigan just clearly wanted it more on the day
    monkey9 wrote: »
    Vincent Kompany ‏@VincentKompany
    Congratulations Wigan with their FA Cup victory. There are many reasons why they deserved the win more than we did.
    monkey9 wrote: »
    Absolutely concur!! A brilliant player and a class act on and off the pitch.
    shrewdness wrote: »
    He's a class act, gracious in both victory and defeat, and a great defender. I'm a big fan of his, but him being the City captain makes that hard!

Kompany is a savage player and a great pro but to treat the fan who gave him that scarf the way he did didnt paint him in a good light. Granted its probably never a nice place when a team are taking the steps to get their runners up medals but at least show respect for the fans who offer you support. As Bill Shankly once said to the police man who carelessly flung a scarf to one side, 'This might be someones life'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

But if you can achieve success with your home town club there cant be any more of an intrinsic delight am i right?

If i can be somewhat spiritual for a moment, today makes me wonder an awful lot about the little intricacies of fate. Would Dave Whelan swap today for the billions he could have reaped with Man U? I dont think so. Personally if i was a wealthy man like him per se and i had the choice of earning hundreds of millions in revenue or Tipp winning the next All Ireland id pick the All Ireland any day of the week (in either code i might add)

He is not Wigan born and bread his home town is Bradford

• Advertisement

11 million was all Man United was going to cost him! He had basically agreed on the deal, went home and told his missus, who said that rival fans to United wouldn't shop at his store anymore.

'Do I regret pulling out of the United deal financially? Yes, of course. I was stupid – I was sitting on a gold mine, but I got cold feet."

Of course he will have certain regret but when Dave Whelan awakes tomorrow morning, do you think the first thing on his mind will be the fact he could have owned United?

And perhaps the wife's fears were correct. What he could have gained on the swings with Man United he could have lost on the roundabouts by owning JJB. He was a well known former footballer from Greater Manchester who could have lost revenue to both City fans and Liverpool fans. Dont forget also that even Fergie was one game away from the chop himself in 1990. No one knows what the future will bring

Raised in Wigan

Of course he will have certain regret but when Dave Whelan awakes tomorrow morning, do you think the first thing on his mind will be the fact he could have owned United?

And perhaps the wife's fears were correct. What he could have gained on the swings with Man United he could have lost on the roundabouts by owning JJB. He was a well known former footballer from Greater Manchester who could have lost revenue to both City fans and Liverpool fans. Dont forget also that even Fergie was one game away from the chop himself in 1990. No one knows what the future will bring

Ah look I'm not arguing either way. The man could have got in at the top before football rocketed. He was sitting on a fortune and he knows he made a mistake. There's nothing more to it.

Ah look I'm not arguing either way. The man could have got in at the top before football rocketed. He was sitting on a fortune and he knows he made a mistake. There's nothing more to it.

Its all ifs, buts and maybes tbh. We all regret certain moments of our life but days like today make me wonder if our path is somewhat chosen for us. All hypothetical of course and we could probably be arguing until next year and beyond about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

He's not considered one of ours. Hes a Wiganer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Meh, its too simplistic to say that MUFC under DW would have been the same story.
    Perhaps with Whelan as owner they don't beat Forest in the famous Cup game, Ferguson gets sacked and potters round the lower leagues for a decade before a retirement barely noticed by anyone - meanwhile MUFC struggle by as a mid table club playing in a crumbling 42K stadium and harking back to the good old title winning days ala Torino, St Etienne or Moenchengladbach.

All hypothetical of course and we could probably be arguing until next year and beyond about it

All I've done is stated what happened. There really is no argument at all.
    ?

Meh, its too simplistic to say that MUFC under DW would have been the same story.
    Perhaps with Whelan as owner they don't beat Forest in the famous Cup game, Ferguson gets sacked and potters round the lower leagues for a decade before a retirement barely noticed by anyone - meanwhile MUFC struggle by as a mid table club playing in a crumbling 42K stadium and harking back to the good old title winning days ala Torino, St Etienne or Moenchengladbach.
    LOL. I'm only telling yis what the man himself said about it!
    Goodnight!

All I've done is stated what happened. There really is no argument at all.
    ?

Are you sure? Ah goooo onnnnn, go on, go on, go on, go on :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Not the sharpest tool in the box
    So, Callum (McManaman) did you think you'd win the FA Cup when you first stepped out on to the pitch?
    "Yeah I always believed we'd win"
    And how does it feel now you have?
    "I can't believe it"

:D

Advertisement