Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FA Cup Final 11/05/13 Manchester City Vs. Wigan Athletic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Martinez now has more trophies than Moyes ...... Just sayin

He already did, even before this . . . just sayin' . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

kryogen wrote: »
    Mancini had no competition in Italy for the league, the match fixing and following punishments set the other contenders back by multiple seasons due to relegation/points deduction/players leaving, the first one was actually awarded to the team, not even won. The following 2 had no competition.

He won the Prem because United collapsed in a very un united manner. We blew it

Anybody can win a cup tbh so its not that impressive.

City won the league because they amassed more points over 38 games. Over that period of time if you finish top of the pile, you deserve if fully and can class yourself as the best team in the league

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Hidalgo wrote: »
    City won the league because they amassed more points over 38 games. Over that period of time if you finish top of the pile, you deserve if fully and can class yourself as the best team in the league

They didnt amass more points over 38 games...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Paully D wrote: »
    Worked out well as he made the best FA Cup final save since Jim Montgomery.

Better than this?

Edit: Sorry, thought you just said FA cup, didn't see ''final''.

Some save anyway!

Fuhrer wrote: »

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

It will for sure mean a hell of a lot more to Wigan winning it than it would have meant to City.

Why though? Not like ye are used to winning trophies, shouldnt you want to win every trophy? Shouldnt they all actually matter to you?

Joke of a team, no heart.

The weekend has begun well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

An awful manager doesn't win 3 serie A titles, the premier league and the fa cup no matter how much money he has at his disposal.

He had no competition in Serie A at that time.

Won the league by this skin of his teeth despite having by far the best squad and unlimited funds.

He shouldn't be anywhere near any top clubs in the future. He sucks tactically and his man management is abysmal.

Fuhrer wrote: »

Good point, they got their hands on the bucket, end of the day that's all the matters. If you finish top, all below can make excuses regarding ifs and buts

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Blatter wrote: »

That's a semi final save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

560460801.jpg?1334413605

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Xavi6 wrote: »
    But we're a big club right? You're agreeing with me.

Big spending. Recent league winners too. CL qualification. Slightly depressing if that's all it takes to be a "big club" in the greater scheme of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

He already did, even before this . . . just sayin' . . .

Eh ... Preston Division 2 Champions under Moyes. They were both on one trophy until today.

Your memory is a bit wonky

Also, to fail to acknowledge United blew it is embarrassing for you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Good point, they got their hands on the bucket, end of the day that's all the matters. If you finish top, all below can make excuses regarding ifs and buts

Goal difference, please get your facts right, that City trophy cabinet will be gathering dust for a while yet. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Delighted for Wigan and Martinez, but why does everyone love him? He has had many chances with Wigan in the league and still they always fight relegation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

Why oh why does it always have to be Liverpool related?

Why, oh why does it have to Manchester United related at all in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

Delighted for Wigan, City never looked interested which is damning indictment of both their manager and the players tbh.

Delighted for Wigan and Martinez, but why does everyone love him? He has had many chances with Wigan in the league and still they always fight relegation?

Be fair to him, he is building a club there, it can take time for it to filter through to the first team results and Wigan are always going to be down the bottom, at least for the foreseeable future and unless they get a good slice of luck

He will go on to bigger and better things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Why oh why does it always have to be Liverpool related?

If you look at the post i was replying to you might understand, maybe not. What it got to do with you anyway? That comment i made is not up for debate, it a fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

He plays nice football too. Defense is fairly wanting, most of the time, but they are easy on the eye going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Terrible racism wish the umbrellas on ESPN.

It's the one thing they can't buy.

A factor I think Mourinho (and later Di Matteo) brought to club were throwing money around, to their credit.

I don't rate Mancini's man management. He always seemed a completely separate entity to the players. I'm not saying he should be pally with them but..just an observation.

Why though? Not like ye are used to winning trophies, shouldnt you want to win every trophy? Shouldnt they all actually matter to you?

The weekend has begun well

Ye? You? :confused: I'm not a member of the team! :D

SlickRic wrote: »
    also...

the FA Cup still matters.

don't listen to any other shíte.

Today it showed great signs of life against all of the odds, even with its own FA trying to stifle the lard out of it. It needs a few small clubs to win trophies to keep interest alive.

The kick off time makes no sense and the fact it takes place a week before the season ends didnt work out well for Wigan tbh who are trying to juggle the cup with a relegation battle.

The very thing that meant to be assisting football, money, is actually ironically killing it. TV and sponsorship have far too much clout now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Today it showed great signs of life against all of the odds, even with its own FA trying to stifle the lard out of it. It needs a few small clubs to win trophies to keep interest alive.

The kick off time makes no sense and the fact it takes place a week before the season ends didnt work out well for Wigan tbh who are trying to juggle the cup with a relegation battle.

The very thing that meant to be assisting football, money, is actually ironically killing it. TV and sponsorship have far too much clout now.

Agreed, but he who pays the piper calls the tune, alas.

• Advertisement

Eh ... Preston Division 2 Champions under Moyes. They were both on one trophy until today.

They both had playing careers before becoming managers and they were both on more than one trophy before today! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

City won it because the amassed more than anyone else.
    United lost it because they blew it.

It might be tough on Mancini if he does lose his job. The season after becoming champions was always going to be difficult though. He's undoubtedly a good manager and City would be challengers again if he stayed. Second in the league and the FA Cup is not a shambles but obviously it's not great. It's the sort of thing that could be used to pull everyone together though and no doubt they'd fight harder next year for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Amazing cycle really. Dave Whelan got £400 compensation for breaking his leg in 1960. Out of that £400 he buys his first business which is so successful it leads to him starting the JJB empire which leads to him buying Wigan in 1995, which leads to the Premier League and going back to Wembley to claim the FA cup as chairman, 53 years on. Couldn't happen to a better football man tbh

Really is a great story.

nummnutts wrote: »
    He plays nice football too. Defense is fairly wanting, most of the time, but they are easy on the eye going forward.

I love that they play 3 at the back.

False 9 wrote: »
    It's the one thing they can't buy.

A factor I think Mourinho (and later Di Matteo) brought to club were throwing money around, to their credit.

I don't rate Mancini's man management. He always seemed a completely separate entity to the players. I'm not saying he should be pally with them but..just an observation.

Like Glenn Hoddle a few years ago, i honestly reckon that if Mancini turned into an ice cream cone he'd eat himself. He had no control over Balotelli and it he was he who brought him to the club. Nasri went to Cit-eh for Trophies but his performances have declined greatly this season. He just doesnt seem to give a s**t and was duly swept off today for an abysmal showing. Karma is indeed a great big whopping bítch.

Tbh even those City players who took the scarves off that were given to them by supporters were a bit of a disgrace. Taking defeat badly is one thing but doing that to your own fans who stick by you despite your failings is quite frankly bad form in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I hate city, openly admit it. Not jealousy or envy, more disgust. Today is a fantastic day for football.

City were an ordinary team. Some Arabs turned up, spent billions and won the league .... Just. There's some very well run football clubs in England who'll probably never get what they deserve but Wigan did today. A real symbolic two fingers to being an oil Barron hoar. The City project is proof that its more than cash that you need.

This season is absolutely embarrassing failure for them and in this I rejoice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Might have been mentioned already but that's 3 different Robertoes in 3 years to win the FA cup.

Your memory is a bit wonky

Also, to fail to acknowledge United blew it is embarrassing for you

Ya Utd f*cked it away, is that Citys fault, no.
    They were in the position to make the most of Utds capitulation. That takes a good team, and manager to keep his players going. It was looking like the league was gone Utd leave points behind V Everton from a great position and City love into a position to strike.
    The year Chelsea came short under Ancelotti, it could be argued that they f*cked it away as they dropped a lot of points early in the season.

Deank wrote: »
    Goal difference, please get your facts right, that City trophy cabinet will be gathering dust for a while yet. :pac:

With Fergie out the gap at Old Trafford City might be able to get their hands on silverware again soon.
    Depends on what they do management wise though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

Tbh even those City players who took the scarves off that were given to them by supporters were a bit of a disgrace. Taking defeat badly is one thing but doing that to your own fans who stick by you despite your failings is quite frankly bad form in my opinion.

Agree with this, I thought that was disgraceful and came across as very petulant. Did Kompany throw his on the ground or am I imagining it?

Still everybody can lose, wigan just clearly wanted it more on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

I hate city, openly admit it. Not jealousy or envy, more disgust. Today is a fantastic day for football.

City were an ordinary team. Some Arabs turned up, spent billions and won the league .... Just. There's some very well run football clubs in England who'll probably never get what they deserve but Wigan did today. A real symbolic two fingers to being an oil Barron hoar. The City project is proof that its more than cash that you need.

Ala Blackburn, relegation next :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

They were in the position to make the most of Utds capitulation. That takes a good team, and manager to keep his players going. It was looking like the league was gone Utd leave points behind V Everton from a great position and City love into a position to strike.
    The year Chelsea came short under Ancelotti, it could be argued that they f*cked it away as they dropped a lot of points early in the season.

In fairness, it could be argued that most teams throw away points at certain times in the season. I.E Utd in the last six games last season.

If you go through each of the last 20 seasons, let's say, you'll find different teams throwing away a number of points of a certain time frame which can be argued cost them the league. Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Newcastle etc have all been guilty of it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I have alot of time for many of the City team, especially Zabaleta, Hart and Kompany. Was great to see them applauding Wigan as they lifted the cup.

And then there's Nasri with hands in pockets trying to distract Kompany.

nummnutts wrote: »
    In fairness, it could be argued that most teams throw away points at certain times in the season. I.E Utd in the last six games last season.

If you go through each of the last 20 seasons, let's say, you'll find different teams throwing away a number of points of a certain time frame which can be argued cost them the league. Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Newcastle etc have all been guilty of it.

Agree 100%. I'm sure if Spurs lose out on CL, they'll look at games like the home loss to Wigan as 3 pts dropped.
    Arsenal probably have similar arguments, same with teams at the bottom facing relegation will be thinking of stupid goals conceded, sitters missed that cost them a valuable point here and there

FutureGuy wrote: »
    And then there's Nasri with hands in pockets trying to distract Kompany.
    Nasri's an idiot

• Advertisement

The pressure was completely off City, he didnt have to keep them going, when he had to keep them going and the pressure was on they fell behind.

Im done with this cause Ill have to head soon, going to see the GOAT manage his last home game early in the morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Why did this turn into yet another United v City thread? Congrats Wigan!

I dont think there is a lot wrong with city players taking the scarves off really. Nasri is an absolute joker, giving Santa Cruz a run for his money for title of worst city value for money signing' of the last few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

I can't make sense of the Rodwell substitution at all. We were in no real danger and we looked good when we went out wide. It should of been Dzeko coming on for Tevez.

Its a failure alright, dont want to drag it into the united v city realms but last year united won nothing...charity shield aside as did city, they also got knocked out of a perceived easier group in the champions league.

I dont think you can say they are an average side, ok at many times during the season they under performed but they are not average. People say they have no heart, they dont care...yet a team with no heart can make (arguably) the greatest comeback in premiership history? if other teams did it they would be praised, city are just kicked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I can't make sense of the Rodwell substitution at all. We were in no real danger and we looked good when we went out wide. It should of been Dzeko coming on for Tevez.
    It was to allow Toure push further forward. He used to do the same with De Jong, remember he did it against Newcastle and it saved the title.

De Jong was good though, should never have got rid of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Vincent Kompany ‏@VincentKompany
    Congratulations Wigan with their FA Cup victory. There are many reasons why they deserved the win more than we did.

Bigtoe107 wrote: »
    Agree with this, I thought that was disgraceful and came across as very petulant. Did Kompany throw his on the ground or am I imagining it?
    monkey9 wrote: »
    Congratulations Wigan with their FA Cup victory. There are many reasons why they deserved the win more than we did.

It's possible many of the players, Kompany included, are disgusted to hear that their club is about to sack their manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

monkey9 wrote: »

He's a beast on the pitch, but a genuinely classy guy off it. He was generously applauding Wigan as they received the trophy and some of his team mates could certainly learn a thing or two from him.

Advertisement