Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

power supply - moving appliances

Options
  • 11-05-2013 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, Moving to the USA soon for good :)

I would rather keep my appliances and use an adapter to use the irish plugs with the US power sockets. Is this a safe and sustainable solution?

I would rather not have to buy all new appliances once i move. It would work out cheaper to keep my irish ones

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jamey_29

What kind of appliances exactly ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I did what you want to do and regret some of my decisions.

Plug adapters are fine. Where you will have an issue is the 110v/220v conversion and mostly the wattage of said convertors.

So I have a lamp shade with a 60W convertor which cost $10 which is fine but the hoover, Hi-Fi Stereo, and both printers all need more than 100W and those convertors cost from $25 to $50 depending on quality.

Check out ebay for some prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,444 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, unless the device can handle 110/220V you'd be better off leaving them at home, converters (aka transformers) are bulky and expensive. Anything with a clock in it like a bedside radio will also be affected by the mains frequency which is 60 Hz over there vs. 50 Hz here.

When you factor in the inconvenience and potential cost of lugging appliances to the US and then buying plug adapters and voltage converters, it just won't be worth it. Remember most things cost less in the US anyway, that should clinch it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Buy 'em when you get there OP. They will be tons cheaper than they are here.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭woppi

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Buy 'em when you get there OP. They will be tons cheaper than they are here.

+1

Pick them up second hand on craiglist when you get there. It will be a lot easier to get parts & servicing for US appliances too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Ok thanks for the replies. I was only going to use them on coffee machines, toasters and small appliances like that. Nothing as big as a fridge or microwave

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You'd be mad to bring that kind of stuff with you. Just replace them when you get there. They'll cost next to nothing to buy new. You can probably get them cheaper or free on the likes of Craigs List. But I'd be wary of using second hand electrical appliances that could have been sitting in someones leaking garage, getting rained on for all you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

EyeSight wrote: »
    Is this a safe and sustainable solution?

One thing that isnt so easy to find here is a plug in kettle.

Otherwise I'd go with everyone else's advice and buy new. Check amazon.com to get an idea of prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

InTheTrees wrote: »

Otherwise I'd go with everyone else's advice and buy new. Check amazon.com to get an idea of prices.

Unfortunately that's one item that needs more than an adapter. It will need a transformer.

I agree with others here. Don't bring over a single appliance. Not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

It really doesn't work out cheaper to keep your irish appliances........the cost of shipping anything heavy is ridiculous and appliances are cheap here.....especially if you're talking about coffee makers, toasters etc.....you'll can buy most things like that new for $20-$30.......go to goodwill or try craigslist and you could find them for less than $10

• Advertisement

InTheTrees wrote: »

So how do you make a pot of tea in the US? Saucepan of water on the stove?

Or the old whistling kettle...

220px-Kettle.JPG

Yep....mine is a whistling kettle. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

coylemj wrote: »
    So how do you make a pot of tea in the US? Saucepan of water on the stove?

Or the old whistling kettle...

Yes. The whistling kettle on the stove.

Plug in kettles are rare and usually come from Canada.

As far as I can determine most Americans make tea by putting some tea bags in a big jug of water and putting it in the fridge and then drinking it with ice. Eugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I've been using a kettle over here for over 2 years and I think the saucepan/whistling kettle is the more logical option. The voltage in the US is 120V while in Ireland its 230V. Boiling water in a kettle takes more time than on the stove, not as quick as in Ireland so kettles never caught on.

I just still love my kettle and don't mind waiting the extra few minutes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jamey_29

I bought one in walmart for around 10 bucks. Not too many Americans have them because hot tea is not as popular in my opinion. amazon.com is also great for purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Since i'm the only one drinking tea in our house, I went to the sports store and got a camping kettle......full it does about 3 cups.

thanks for the replies guys. They have been really helpful during this stressful time.
    I am going to bring my playstation along as it would not be worthwhile buying a new one. Will it be safe? i know some games are region locked and luckily my company are paying shipping fees so i am not worried about that

EyeSight wrote: »
    I am going to bring my playstation along as it would not be worthwhile buying a new one. Will it be safe?

There should be information on the device saying what voltage(s) it can handle, if it says something along the lines of 100-240V & 50/60 Hz then you'll be fine, you just need to buy either a different power cable with a US plug or a travel adapter.

Not sure about the region issue, it may restrict you to playing games that were purchased over here, maybe somebody with better knowledge of the PS can answer that one. You'll probably find that games (like everything else) are much cheaper over there so unless you have a big investment in a games library, it might be something else to leave behind!

The PS3 is dual-voltage so no issues there. Games you buy in the US will most likely be region locked though.

awesome! thanks for all your help

• Advertisement
Advertisement