Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Device that allows you to accept credit card payments. Handy for Taxi Drivers

Options
  • 11-05-2013 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

You might need to be registered as a Business or Sole Trader, Im not sure, but the device itself is free while stocks last. Might be handy for Taxi Drivers or any one needing to accept credit card payments.

www.sumup.ie/go/offer

Transaction cost 2.75 %
    Card Reader Free*
    App Free
    Setup Free
    Additional costs or fees None

* While supplies last.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭deadimmortal

Just checked, yes you need to have a VAT or Company registration number to apply for it. Business/Sole Traders should have these anyway. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

Great idea but think the visa payments are messed up. The customer has to have a smart phone also to complete the transaction. Should be a handy thing to have tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

I got one a few weeks ago and they are handy. It's true they handle Mastercard and Visa payments differently. The M/C goes into the reader which plugs into the earphone socket of your phone, and the customer signs the screen. With Visa payments the customer must have a smartphone as you send them a text for the amount and they have to click on a link to process payment. So with Visa cards the customer doesn't have to be present to accept a payment.

Also, it takes about 10 days for the money to get to your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mindful

Had just been looking at options for accepting cards the other day. Haven't seen this yet.

Thanks OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

Do people enter their pin and or sign as well?

With pin it's very hard for the customer to come back and say that the transaction is not authorised and safer for the seller.

Very strange to see people in the short video from the site signing with their finger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Good idea, great for selling at market stalls etc .... Although I think the reader device will become obsolete once contactless cards and NFC enabled smartphones become the norm.

US company SquareUp have been offering a similar device and service for years. It's US/Canada only though: https://squareup.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

How does 2.75% compare for such a commission. Would that be normal and similar to what a newsagent would have to pay on a transaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

groom wrote: »
    How does 2.75% compare for such a commission. Would that be normal and similar to what a newsagent would have to pay on a transaction?

On the low side I think. 3-4% would be normal. Plus I would doubt many taxi drivers would go for this - it would mean that their income is traceable for tax purposes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

kn wrote: »
    On the low side I think. 3-4% would be normal. Plus I would doubt many taxi drivers would go for this - it would mean that their income is traceable for tax purposes!!

You mean taximeters are not linked to Revenue by uplink? In this day and age?

Its very competitive, I think its usually 3% or more. To accept card payments retailers are charged for everything; there's terminal rental fees, payment gateway fees, plus merchant and/or bank transaction fees. These are in addition to the 3% credit card fee. So 2.75% without additional charges is very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

Was applying for one of these when I read about the text link, which makes it very awkward for me personally, generally a great idea though, as a proper machine cost up to e25 p/m on top of transaction fees the 2.75% is competitive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Something like this has to be a great thing for everyone. If it gets cheaper for merchants to do electronic payments then there'll be less of this minimum transactions nonsense you get in Spars, Centras etc.

Even small businesses like the local bike shop can take electronic payments

BobMc wrote: »
    Was applying for one of these when I read about the text link, which makes it very awkward for me personally, generally a great idea though, as a proper machine cost up to e25 p/m on top of transaction fees the 2.75% is competitive

I see what you mean BobMc. I can imagine a "merry" customer entering their card details in the back of a taxi at 3am in the morning! What a palaver! :eek:
    Visa Transactions
    Your customer will receive an SMS text message that contains a link. Once your customer taps the link, he will be forwarded to a secure SumUp web page. The customer then enters their card details and authorises the payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

MadsL wrote: »
    You mean taximeters are not linked to Revenue by uplink? In this day and age?

There's ways around it.
    Walk down a rank after a night out and ask a driver will they take you back to x for y amount.
    One of them will (if y is reasonable) and won't have on the meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

and I wasnt even going to be using it in a taxi but a bricks and mortar store, the Mastercard system is the right way obviously problems with Visa thats its not as straight forward

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Scortho wrote: »
    There's ways around it.
    Walk down a rank after a night out and ask a driver will they take you back to x for y amount.
    One of them will (if y is reasonable) and won't have on the meter.

Sting operations would sort that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

MadsL wrote: »
    Sting operations would sort that out.

Alas it's Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

groom wrote: »

We pay 1.5% on visa debit and up to 2.5% on others, so 2.75% is very good.

Advertisement