Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is this weed?

• 11-05-2013 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Any ideas on what this weed is and how to get rid? It looks like something you might see at the side of a lake as it grows up to a couple of feet high

I've sprayed the stalks with weed killer but everyday there are new shoots appearing so I don't know if this is the best method.

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

The weed is horsetail, it's a bit difficult to kill, I've "conrolled" it in our place by continously digging it out to weaken the root system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yup horsetail. Nasty blighter. Systemic weedkiller and digging it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,829 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Never been afflicted with it, but isn't it one of those you have to trample before weedkill-ing so that the stuff can be absorbed?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

Thanks folks, was thinking it was a nasty weed alright. I will dig out as much as I can but some of it has run under a sleeper and come up through the patio slabs.
    Interesting comment about having to trample it first so the weedkiller can absorb into it - I was actually thinking about somehow injecting weedkiller into the stems to speed up the process of it getting into the root system quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

Salmonman mentioned on a recent thread that Rush killer is what will work to get rid of horsetail.
    Not something i have used but i would think that Liffy mills stores would have/source it for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

So that's what it is! I have had that for decades growing through/around the candelabras at the bottom of and into the rockery.

It is annoying but has never spread anywhere else and in fact is not unatractive.
    I just pull it up when it gets too much but have never launched a campaign against it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

geordief wrote: »
    So that's what it is! I have had that for decades growing through/around the candelabras at the bottom of and into the rockery.

It is annoying but has never spread anywhere else and in fact is not unatractive.
    I just pull it up when it gets too much but have never launched a campaign against it...

Its a true survivor(plant dinosaur) geordie, same as that, no campaign against it,
    Full of minerals,i compost some, mulch, make liquid tea.
    Sure can understand gardeners frustration with it though,
    I ve just learned to live with it and utilize it.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭VirtualWorld

It pops up for me in my ornamental beds and through the gravel area around them which is frustrating. However it makes a fantastic compost tea, which is a great feed. Research that online and you'll learn all about it.

As it's starting to poke up again now this year I squeeze the buds with a pliers and spray with vinegar. It seems to be doing the trick. I'm hoping this will 'feed' down into the root system and get rid of completely. The oily waxy surface makes it resistant to regular weedkiller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Adding lime to the soil to raise the pH helps control it, but watch out for your other plants.

Advertisement